Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to shocker1322
Toyota like Porsche

I am currently changing the clutch in a 2000 Toyota Corolla. I am surprised at the similarity between the job I did in my 924S and this one. They both follow the same 3 step instructions.

Step 1: Disassemble car
Step 2: Install clutch
Step 3: Reassemble car

For only three steps this job is turning out to be a PITA, just like the Porsche.
28mm Sway-Away Torsion Bars
275 lb/in hypercoils, adjustable Koni's
Old 07-20-2004, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Cool

Old 07-20-2004, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Old 07-20-2004, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
Re: Toyota like Porsche

Quote:
Originally posted by shocker1322
Step 1: Disassemble car
Step 2: Install clutch
Step 3: Reassemble car
Oh man... that sounds so blissfully simple

"Drive it like you stole it."
Old 07-20-2004, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Makenzie71 Send a message via Yahoo to Makenzie71
Carolla is a front wheel drive car...there is NO similarity between them and there is NO easy way to do it. Last time I changed a Celica clutch, we found it to be the easiest thing in the world to just unplug all the wiring and pull the engine/tranny and do it.

On just about any F/R car, I can change a clutch in about 5 hours if I devote my time to it. Never tried a tranny like the 944's, though...it's really an experience I'm looking forward to.

the "baby" that comes first...
Old 07-20-2004, 03:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
I wish you the best of luck. I've yet to do the clutch on my 924... they're similar but not exactly the same. The most troublesome part i believe is when you're disconnecting everything... Exhaust, brake lines, half-shafts/CV joints from stub axles... to loosen the transmission from the body and move everything back far enough to get the clutch assembly out. Without a lift, it's hell.

I don't have a lift... just ramps and a few bottle/floor jacks. What equipment will you have at your disposal?

"Drive it like you stole it."
Old 07-20-2004, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Makenzie71 Send a message via Yahoo to Makenzie71
From what I gather, the tranny on the 944/24/68 is a rear mounted transaxle (no, I've never actually bothered to crawl under and look yet)...it's not the same as what most F/R vehicles have...more like a lawnmower transaxle. The part I think will be the hardest is disconnecting the axles and lining them up again propperly. Not sure what stabbing it is going to be like...

All then rest seems like it's just turning bolts.

I personally have a shop to use, with a lift, but I don't think I'm going to. I'll probably do it at home with jack stands (I've made my own to get some real lift, 20" stands made of 4" drill-stem...I sell them).

the "baby" that comes first...
Old 07-20-2004, 03:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: