Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

944 can't decide where to idle

Hi guys I did search a few pages of idle posts, but did not find what I was looking for. i have an 83 that recently had a rear wheel bearing replaced and I have really not driven for about 2 weeks. I drove it over the weekend and it was great ( a rainy day and night though) Now today the idle is definitely low. The car usually idles around 1000-1100 and it hada nice purr. NOw come to a stop and it dips to around 650-700 and feels like it is going to stall out. "Boy it rumbles a lot down there", but it has not stalled. A few times I come to a stop and it is at the correct rpm, but a majority of the time it is running rough. Any ideas? I added the rain part because that is the first time " i " have driven it in the rain. Thanks
Old 07-20-2004, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I would start bylooking fo a vacuum leak.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

agree on the vacuum leak - do a search on some vacuum diagrams so you can follow the lines - also i think 1000- 1100 are a tad high - ideal is 950 (summer and just over in the winter) - 750 is to low 1100 is to high.

It is easy to check the vacuum stuf if you have some experience working on a car

Also worth a try to make sure youre HT leads are in good condition same as rotor and dizzi cap - incl spark plugs ..... i would start on vacuum ( new vacuum hoses can be bought cheap)

Hope it makes sense

Frankydoom
Old 07-20-2004, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Vacuum leak - listen for the hiss with the engine on or use a propane torch (unlit) with the engine running. Go around all vac connections and listen for the idle to surge (burning propane)....theres your leak.

BTW- if your car was running at 1100 previosly you probably did have a vacuum leak that just got worse or another one sprung up. Check the condition of your intake boot as well, the bottome tend to get spidery cracks in them.

Battery terminals

Do the easy stuff first
Old 07-20-2004, 12:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Does not seem to be a leak. Hoses all appear new and no hissing sounds. I di not attempt the torch method. I want to say the original idle was more like 1000 than 1100 it was just me reading the wavering idle arm in an 83 gauge. I will check the other stuff you guys mentioned of course it runs fine now, so it is tough to pinpoint. Thanks for all the tips.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

"Appear" and "are" are different things as a lot of guys here will tell you re: vacuum leaks. Also, if the boot on the intake has even the tiniest crack or break, it will raise hell with starting, running, and idle. System has to be air tight to function properly.
Old 07-20-2004, 06:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Vacuum leaks are the bane of 944 existance.

My money is still on vacuum leak...

,,,remember...these fittings will change in side somewhat as the engine heats up and cools down....when in doubt...replace it.
Old 07-20-2004, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: