Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Batten down the hatches!

My rear hatch is rattling and squeaking a lot. It used to do it at idle, until I replaced the shocks (the old ones couldn't keep the hatch up, even on warm days). Now it rattles more when I drive. It feels like I just need to screw in the pins more to shorten them - when its closed and I push on it I can feel it move a little.

But here's the catch - I can't get the damn things to budge. I loosened the retaining bolt, but the pins are rounded on the bottom, so there no place to stick in a screwdriver. I tried just grabbing the threads with some pliers and twisting, but all that did was gouge the threads a little.

Any ideas?
Old 07-20-2004, 11:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Get a dremel tool - or a hacksaw.

Cut a slot in the bottom of the pin and use a screwdriver

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 07-20-2004, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
what i did was tighten the locking nut REALLY tight then when i got it loose again the pins were loose too... but the only worked twice perfectly... third time i had to buy a new plastic piece that holds the plastic part that the pins screw into.

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by AFJuvat
Get a dremel tool - or a hacksaw.

Cut a slot in the bottom of the pin and use a screwdriver

AFJuvat
Hmm... never thought of that one. Is it just the 924S that doesn't have the slot? Why would they put it in some cars and not others?

This sounds doable though... thanks for the advice.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Parrothead member

Is the hatch weatherstripping in good shape? if its worn it will cause it to rattle and squeak too.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
After putting new shocks in mine I think my hatch is delaminating (i am taking delaminating to mean coming away from the frame where it is glued to). The glass is rattling when i drive and you can see it move a bit when you open and close the hatch. And i never even tightened the pins.

What can I do to reglue the hatch to stop the delaminating getting worse and to stop the rattling? - do they sell special glue than can get inbetween a really small crack and then hold really strong?

Lowered, adjustable KONI shocks, APE chip, K&N panel filter, Strut tower brace, Blue Fuchs (+ anything else i've not discovered yet!)
http://photos.yahoo.com/shineyblue944
Old 07-21-2004, 11:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

OK, Y'all have me worried now.....

I just replaced both my rear hatch supports with brand new ones.
Man, are those things stiff...
Anyway, my hatch sometimes wont open and the pins are too tight I guess..

Question : Did the glass delaminate from the hatch too tight, or from the frame around it being pushed down to close the hatch ?????

At one point I had to crawl back and disassemble the hatch locks to get it open, so I think some additional maintenance is needed there.

Don
Current Stable 944 83 Kalahari Beige manual rack, short 5th gear951 86 Guards Red, pristine TurboYou must not anger the Porsche Gods - you MUST leave one small item unrepaired, lest the Stuttgartians smite thine car with bad Ju-Ju-AF Juvat
Old 07-21-2004, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

My shocks for the back glass are weak, and I do not intend to replace them. Lousy design by Porsche from a stress standpoint.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Is this Urethane Auto Glass Adhesive thick, a bit like silicon sealer consistency? - that what it looks like going by info on websites.

I want something runny enough that will go down the really small gap between my hatch glass and the frame that only really appears when i'm pushing down on the hatch when closing it.

Lowered, adjustable KONI shocks, APE chip, K&N panel filter, Strut tower brace, Blue Fuchs (+ anything else i've not discovered yet!)
http://photos.yahoo.com/shineyblue944
Old 07-21-2004, 05:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
entertaining the idea

Garage
You could also add some vaseline to the rubber seal. They dry up over time, and the vaseline will thicken the seal. First time I did that to mine, it almost doubled in thickness.

a well set-up 1983 Guards Red 944
Old 07-21-2004, 06:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: