Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Porsche Crest Kirkit Belt Tensioner Tool

Anyone every use the Kirkit Belt tensioner guage before? I am getting ready to replace the water pump and I am a little leary about the proper tensioning of the timing belt...This guage seems like a good solution...

MSD Ingnition System
Zimmerman XDrilled Frt/Rear
BB Headers & Cat Back Exhaust
Mass Flow Air w/ Ingen Technology
Nology Pro Fire Wires & Coil
Millie Cup Wheels and Kuma's
Old 07-21-2004, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Yes, tons of info on this board and on Rennlist. Do a search on it. It's sold by several places and is just as accurate as the 9201. Both require some experience to use properly. Look at Blasak's site for some pix.
Old 07-21-2004, 11:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I think it is pretty good - well worth $20 (or $50 from ebay!). It's not broke and i did it 6 months ago. Do a search and lots of other people rate it.

check out these site for how to use it
http://www.blaszakprecision.com/Belts.html
http://www.9xauto.com/tentiontool.htm

Lowered, adjustable KONI shocks, APE chip, K&N panel filter, Strut tower brace, Blue Fuchs (+ anything else i've not discovered yet!)
http://photos.yahoo.com/shineyblue944
Old 07-21-2004, 11:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

A question:

If the belt requires "retensioning" after 1,500 miles or so, why hasn't some genius come up with a way of "pre stretching" the belt so this step would no longer be necessary?

Just wondering...
Old 07-21-2004, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Krikit - kr-1 at NAPA ...............$8

Works pretty good.

I think the flex inherent in these belts is important for the hard parts of the engine. I myself have wondered why one of the aftermarket companies that make kevlar reenforced belts don't pick up on us. Must need that flex for something.?
Old 07-21-2004, 01:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Used it for 6 years. Works for me.
1987 328GTS
2011 528i
Old 07-21-2004, 04:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to 944imraan
Wait, so if we use this, we can do that belt job ourselves and save all that money? Wow.

--my first car
--limited slip differential
--cross drilled rotors
--omnimagnum high-energy ignition
--CB equipped
--laptop installed, seeking GPS chip

--keep the socks away from my car
Old 07-21-2004, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Yup, lots of stuff you can do on your own. For what it costs to do one tbelt, bal belt, water pump, roller, seal job- you can get a good set of tools and learn about your car. I've been around cars for a long time and used to be a prof wrench (Italian stuff) and I can tell you, we did sooo many jobs that the average person could easily do and the garage owner had no problems charging the bucks for them. So it still amazes me the number of owners that complain about the money for upkeep on these old cars. IF you do your own, it isn't that bad.
Old 07-21-2004, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Just to add, the reason I was asking in the first place about the tension tool was that my local Pcar Mechanic wanted $1800 for water pump and timing belt replacement...What CHEESE!!!
MSD Ingnition System
Old 07-21-2004, 06:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to fast924S
Yea I work for toyota and I am soo amazed on how much people spend on the easiest jobs on there cars. Rotation of tires $45, Timming belts on 4cyl approx $200. These are just labor rates with no parts. If I had to send my car to a dealer everytime it broke I would be sooo poor, I think I would have sold the car by now. Soooo where is a good place to get the krikit
Old 07-21-2004, 07:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
I have seen it lots of diffrent places, it looks as though 9xauto.com has one which includes instructions.
MSD Ingnition System
Old 07-21-2004, 08:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to gearhead290
it's not exactly rocket science...
Old 07-21-2004, 08:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to bluebullet
one of the hardest timing belts to do by far is my own motor..the Mitsubishi 4G63. And its still a 4 cylinder. Everything must be spot on with no leeway, or it takes the motor out. The balance shaft belts are infamous for breaking and getting jammed in the bottom and taking out the timing belt, causing destruction of the head (all valves). There was a website somewhere that had them rated at difficulty...that was rated 2nd or 3rd, i forget what was the worst and hardest to do...i think a 3000GT. I just recently finished a timing belt on my friend 2002 Galant GTZ, and that is a SOHC V6....really easy to work on.

What Im trying to say is, I look at a Porsche timing belt and everyone seems to blow it out of proportion like its a nightmare or something. If you think im joking, try to do one of my own timing belts.....you'll invent your own profanity. Then go back to the porsche and its like a piece of cake.

I always like to do work myself because one, I'm a mechanic, two, I like to find out how things work, and three, I like to save money....could put it elsewhere like upgrades
Old 07-21-2004, 09:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I read some interesting stuff regarding the timing belt tensioning in the latest Panorama. the question was raised that if you get 3 different readings on your guage, which one is most accurate?, and the answer is that the lowest reading is the most accurate, as "you can always make the gauge read artificially high, never artificially low. Artificially high readings can come from twisting the gauge while it's on the belt of by improper engine counter rotation". -I'm sure you all know the proper engine counter-rotation procedure to avoid high readings?
Another intersting tidbit was " Master technicians participation in a guess-by-thumb-pressure belt tension contest will typically be off by one full point on the gauge" (with the 9201 tool, that is about 35% off).
Old 07-21-2004, 10:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

http://arnnworx.com/
Old 07-21-2004, 10:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: