Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
How to buy a 968

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum. I'm usually hanging around the 911 forums. I own an 85 911 track car.
The reason I'm here is because I am seriously considering a 968 as a daily driver. Believe it or not, I'm using my track car as my daily driver. As you can imagine the 30min ride through downtown Miami is getting kind of old. Plus it's keeping me from making any serious upgrades to my 911.
So, can anyone give me any hints on buying a 968? I've seen all kinds of prices from $9000 to $29000. I used to work at a Porsche dealer during the 80's and I am aware of all the issues the 944 had (oil cooler seals, water pumps, motor mounts, timing belts, bent valves, leaking radiators, rubber clutch discs...). Have these issues been taken care of? I noticed that now they have a spring tensioner (why didn't they have that when I was working on them ). Any advise would help.

Thanks
87 944na - Old Daily Driver, now 944 CUP
03 Chevy Avalanche- Support Vehicle
70 Olds 442 W30 Conv- Gone but not forgotten
http://www.diazracing.com
adiaz@diazracing.com
Old 07-21-2004, 03:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Check out AFjuvats post in the tech articals section on how to buy a 944.

But honestly, from what I hear, much of it does not apply as much to the 968.

The 968 really was the pinnacle of the series with most of the problems worked out by that time. No turbo but that doesn't matter for a daily.

(One of the p-car magazines did an artical on a 'low boost' turbo bolt on for the 968 that seemed to work quite well.)

I am sure you will not be unhappy with your purchase.

Welcome to the dark side.

Mark
Old 07-21-2004, 03:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Mark. I actually alway liked the 94x series. Tons of easy money to be had even on warrenty items. I also liked the test drives, nothing like tossing one around the corners.
87 944na - Old Daily Driver, now 944 CUP
03 Chevy Avalanche- Support Vehicle
70 Olds 442 W30 Conv- Gone but not forgotten
http://www.diazracing.com
adiaz@diazracing.com
Old 07-21-2004, 03:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to gearhead290
find somebody selling one, come an agreed price, and then pay ther person selling it
Old 07-21-2004, 05:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
If you are considering a 968, you will definetly spend around 20k for one with decent mileage on it. You can get them for less but they typically have in excess of 100k on the odometer. In terms of your concerns for the 944 issues, they where all but resolved as the model moved on in years and some of the fixes such as spring tensioner, oil cooler seal etc, can be used on the older models without and mods. Currently I have an 88' na with a little over 100k and it purrs like a kitten without any rebuilds, seals replaced, etc. Although some time along the way I will start some of those things for pm purposes...Also, most of the 968's out there are cabriolets...I am looking myself but want a coupe to go along with my real toy....Happy Hunting!!!
MSD Ingnition System
Zimmerman XDrilled Frt/Rear
BB Headers & Cat Back Exhaust
Mass Flow Air w/ Ingen Technology
Nology Pro Fire Wires & Coil
Millie Cup Wheels and Kuma's
Old 07-21-2004, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
least common denominator

Listen for ring and pinion noise... a few had a problem with that, most have been fixed by now. Check over at 968.net great folks over there lots of good info.
Old 07-22-2004, 07:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: