Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Deplorable Member

Garage
"New" versus "Old" Waterpumps

I recently bought a bunch of parts (including the water pump) for my car and was asked at the time whether I had the "new" or "old" style water pump. I said I had no idea (hadn't had the front timing cover off at that point) but it was for an early '85 car. The guy told me I could use either but the "old" style pump was probably better. It's been a while though and I don't remember exactly why this was.

Does anyone know what the exact differences and advantages / disadvantages of either one are?

Now that I have the whole front of the engine pulled apart, I see that my car has been converted to the "new" style pump and I'm just wondering whether I ought to keep it that way (exchange the pump I've got) or just install the new (rebuilt) "old style" pump sitting in the box.

I think the guy said something about the old style ones being better because they didn't spin as fast (the pulley is a smaller diameter or something so it lasts longer) although it looks the same as the one on the "new style" pump on the car right now (haven't measured it though).

Externally it looks like there are only two differences between the two: first, the "new style" pump has the bolt holes for mounting the metal rail that prevents the belt from hitting itself (the car has this rail installed too as part of the "new water pump conversion" that was evidently done at some point); apparently the original "old" configurations didn't have this feature. Second, the "old style" pump doesn't have the plastic nipple that the new ones have (hook-up for the turbo cooling line on 951s but does nothing on n/a's because there's a "block-off plate" behind it.

Which one should I go with? Stick with the old one I have or try to exchange it for a new style pump? Why?

Black Cars Matter
Old 07-22-2004, 03:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Right. I've got those same questions (having just done my belts). The reason I decided against visiting the water pump at the time was because I had no idea what was on the car and no information to help me make the decision.
Rear Hatch Pins, Oil Change, Dash Cover Installation, New Rear Seat, New O2 Sensor, New Ignition Switch, New Fuel Pump Relay, Rear Light Assembly Reseal, Instrument Panel Short Circuit, New Speedo Cable, New Timing belts and Starter.
Old 07-22-2004, 07:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Just thinking out loud

I've had the rebuilt old style pump and it out lasted the factory orginal by 3 years. I have the newer updated pump on the car now (6 months) with the deflector. Knowing who you bought it from, you should be ok with either.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Deplorable Member

Garage
Yea, those guys are awesome, they're probably the best I've dealt with. I think given a choice that I'd rather have the little shield plate in there to keep the belt from hitting itself though. . . I'll see if I can get a new style one. Thanks!

Black Cars Matter
Old 07-22-2004, 10:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

If you're installing the "new" style water pump in place of the "old" designed, you'll need an adapter. Pelican sells them for a couple of bucks.
Old 07-22-2004, 12:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Just thinking out loud

Or cut the belt cover, but I think yours has already been cut Phile.
Old 07-22-2004, 04:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: