Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Ok, holy crap! Can you say mid engined 924?!

Idea, someone with a 4 speed 924 please help me.

What's the distance from the the tranny bellhousing face to that middle cross member (frame). I just removed my tranny, so I can't know for sure, and exact measurements count in this plan!

Why have a torque tube? Why have a driveshaft? Boys, if this plan works, say hello to a mid-engined 924!! Also, someone once told me you can move the tranny forward or back a few inches...don't really remember who or when.

Does anyone have details on that?

Also, would a snailshell 5 speed give more space between the frame and the bellhousing?

For those of you who are inordinately confused, I'm converting a too-fuh to electric power. You can check it out at my site, Http://www.EVProject.com . I was going to shorten the driveshaft, and slap the motor on the torque tube flange, but I'm having trouble getting it out. Now I'm thinking wayyy outside the box - maybe.

Thanks guys, you people are the absolute best!!

-Jeff

Last edited by Fuzzbeaner; 07-22-2004 at 04:57 AM..
Old 07-22-2004, 04:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Makenzie71 Send a message via Yahoo to Makenzie71
dood...the engine is mounted behind the front axle-line...that makes it a mid-engine car...just like the RX7.

(unless looks are decieving)

the "baby" that comes first...
Old 07-22-2004, 06:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Ohhhh c'mon, mid engined means behind the driver! :-p!!

-Jeff
Old 07-22-2004, 07:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Custom User Title

I hear Porsche has put out a few cars with the engine behind the driver.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Yea Dave, that's the rumor, but I've never seen one.

-Jeff
Old 07-22-2004, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Re: Ok, holy crap! Can you say mid engined 924?!

Quote:
Originally posted by Fuzzbeaner
Idea, someone with a 4 speed 924 please help me.

What's the distance from the the tranny bellhousing face to that middle cross member (frame). I just removed my tranny, so I can't know for sure, and exact measurements count in this plan!

Also, would a snailshell 5 speed give more space between the frame and the bellhousing?

The distance from the front to the crossmember should be the same with the 4 or 5 speed Audi trans in 924's and early 944's. Not home right now or I could measure for you, surely somebody can measure it for you.

The snailshell trans will have considerably less room in front, due to the transmission being in front of the diff rather than behind like the Audi box.
And a whole bunch of German scrap metal shaped like 924's.

Old enough to know better, and stupid enough to do it anyway!
Old 07-22-2004, 10:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Trevor
What are you hoping to gain from this? Just curious.
2001 Taurus noooooooooooooo!
1993 325is
Old 07-22-2004, 10:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to bryanthompson Send a message via AIM to bryanthompson Send a message via Yahoo to bryanthompson
I think he's trying to get rid of a long driveshaft from whatever electric motor setup he's planning to put in.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Trevor
Oh, its elecctric, that explains it. Thanks
2001 Taurus noooooooooooooo!
1993 325is
Old 07-22-2004, 10:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Wolf, good point. It wouldn't make sence for there to be different lengths for the two trannies because there's only one torque tube kind!!

Trevor, Bryan is correct, I think it would be beneficial for me to lose the driveshaft. It's just that much less rotational weight, plus 60 lbs of torque tube weight. Less rotational weight won't only mean less to spin up, but it'll make clutchless shifting strain the syncros less. (not that it'll be bad, since I'll have no flywheel, crankshaft, pistons, explosions, or clutch putting pressure on them, but every bit helps, right?)

Thanks,
-Jeff
Old 07-22-2004, 10:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to bryanthompson Send a message via AIM to bryanthompson Send a message via Yahoo to bryanthompson
yeah, hehe... not like he was stickin' a 914 engine in there or some madness.

What's crazier, putting a 914 1.7L or 2.0L in a 944 or putting an electric motor in a 944?
Old 07-22-2004, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to fast924S
Yo gas is some much cooler, I like explosions .
Old 07-22-2004, 02:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Mid engine means that the engine are located between the front/rear wheel "axles". The 944 almost fill that criteria, but not quite. The car would be rear heavy if you moved the engine to the back or just in front of the rear "axle".

Regards:
Eirik Kvello-Aune
www.944968.com
Old 07-22-2004, 02:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

The weight will not be as much of an issue as you think because the electric motor only weighs 100 lbs.

-Jeff
Old 07-22-2004, 03:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
"A" for deceptive title. If it was "Electric 924 blah blah blah" never would have bothered to open this.
Old 07-22-2004, 03:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

FR Wilk, not ten tons, just 1/2 a ton!

-Jeff
Old 07-22-2004, 04:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Cool! A 1,000 pounds for the batteries. That's almost double the weight of the engine. Bet the electrics are another 500 pounds.

As always a battery powered electric MOTOR conversion is a loose-loose proposition.

Now if you put some very narrow tires on it with about 60 psi each you might reduce the rolling resistance. But then there goes that 924/944 "ride".
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 07-22-2004, 04:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
He's converting his microwave to broad cast energy to the car.
Old 07-22-2004, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

SoCal, looking at around 200 lbs for the rest of the electronics (100 for motor, wiring, controller, contactor, etc).

The 1000 lbs of batteries should get me around 35 miles, and here in the middle of nowhere MA, that might be considered a "block".

But still wondering, anyone have that distance from tranny bellhousing to the frame?

-Jeff
Old 07-22-2004, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Still a loose-loose situation. A definate waste of time and resources.
Old 07-22-2004, 05:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: