Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

The saga continues...

Well, I finally got my 944 out of the second shop on Friday evening. This time, they replaced the blown head gasket, worked on a warped head, etc. I had to do this because two days after buying the car, a mechanic worked on it and forgot to add coolant back after draining the radiator.

Friday night, I drive about 20 miles. No problemo. Yesterday it was pretty hot here in Memphis. My wife and I had a number of errands to run. I noticed that once we started on short little trips and/or sitting in traffic, the temp guage would go up to the 3/4 mark. When I would get back on the highway, it would drop back to 1/4. Even when I shut the car off with the temp gauge at 3/4, the electric fan would not be on. Apparently the re-wiring that the first shop did causes both fans to only cut on when the a/c is running. Before I took the car to the shop, the passenger side fan would run anytime the a/c was running and the driver side fan would run when the engine was hot. The switch broke for that fan so the fan constantly ran and I asked the shop to replace the switch.

How hot does the engine have to be before the fan should kick on? Is 3/4 sufficiant? I think I will be taking the car back to the shop tomorrow. I've had the car three weeks and have driven it about 3 days. People at work are starting to think that my VW's bit the dust and I haven't replaced them with anything - much less a Porsche.
Old 07-25-2004, 11:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to bryanthompson Send a message via AIM to bryanthompson Send a message via Yahoo to bryanthompson
My fans kick on right above the 1/2 mark, but I'm not sure I have a stock thermostat.
Old 07-25-2004, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
stock thermostat kicks in at the first mark i thought?

I'd say just drive with the A/C on until you get the wiring issue resolved. It's possible that the wiring from the cooling fan relay (first, non-AC dependant one, driver's side) was bypassed. Check to see that there are wires coming from the thermoswitch on the radiator to the cab area/fuse panel. Should be a green pair of wires and a pair of brown wires that go to the switch, then to the fan. Then look for the resistor for the cooling fan on the panel, should look circular with two red wires going to it on opposite sides.

If those wires are not there, something is out of place. Also doublecheck your wiring diagram in your haynes manual. Yes i know current track is a PITA to understand, but look for the section on the cooling fans, at least you can get an idea of what color wires to look for and where they connect to inside the cab/at the fuse panel. If you can read current track, then it should be a cakewalk for you

"Drive it like you stole it."
Old 07-25-2004, 01:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I just noticed that I am right down I40 from you. I live in Jackson. We ought to get together sometime. Nice to see some Tenn. 944ers around here.
Old 07-25-2004, 04:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to SlowToady
I had the same problem, and it turned out that the wiring loom was pulled way too tight and was breaking the connection. I cut a zip tie or two, and moved it around, got it some slack, and now my fans kick on at 3/4. I think though, that it's because of a non-stock thermostat (car was more of a track car, than a commuter).

Might check out that loom...

Fakelife.com Nothing to do with archery anymore. Porsche/BMW/Ferrari/Honda videos
Old 07-25-2004, 09:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

The Haynes wiring diagram is not bad if you copy all the pages and line them end to end to make one long copy. That way, it is a lot easier to trace that "purple wire with the yellow stripe".
Old 07-25-2004, 11:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
The temp swtich on the radiator is what tells the relays to turn on the fan(s). The thermostat in the water pump opens and closes to change the path the coolent takes. The correct function of both are required for proper engine cooling. It's also critcal that the cooling system to be properly "burped".

Most problems with the older 944's are with the temp switch on the radiator. The wires comes loose and corrode. If you pull off the front support bracket to the air cleaner you can squeeze a hand to the switch and check the wires. If they are loose pull them off and give them a crimp. If there is a rubber boot on the end take it off.

As to your rewiring; the Germans used a diode checked feed back logic on the cooling fan circuit to enable the A/C fan. This logic is back at the fuse/relay block under the dash. Hopefully the clowns at the first shop only messed with the wires at the radiator.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 07-26-2004, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I took it to my new Porsche shop this morning. They are taking a look at it now. They agree that something fishy is going on. It sounds to them like the driver side fan was wired in with the passenger side fan and the temp switch is being bypassed.

It was in the low 70's this morning when I drive the car to the shop. The temp gauge never got above 1/4 during the 30 minute drive on backroads. That was a little encouraging.
Old 07-26-2004, 08:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

The mechanic called me about noon. He said that the fans operated correctly and the wiring had not been adulterated. The problem was that the temp switch was set too hot. They were going to replace it with a lower temp switch and I could finally get on with my life.

The mechanic just called me back. He asked if during the whole 20 miles or so I actually drove the car if I ran over anything. "Hell no!" was my response. Apparently, some support for the radiator is missing along with the mount for the power steering motor. There is a belt (or something else I don't remember) rubbing against the lower radiator hose. It sounds like someone who was working on the car forgot to put Humpty Dumpty back together again.

I am getting ready to leave for the shop in a few minutes. I told my wife to bring the camera. I'll post the pics later tonight.

So far, I have around $6500 in this car and have driven it around 100 miles in the past 3 weeks. I'm starting to think I should have stayed with my VW.
Old 07-26-2004, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Here is a pic from underneath. The fans were removed (by my good mechanic) to get to the cooling fan temp switch.

The belt from the power steering pump pulley nearly ate all the way through the lower radiator hose. One more day without a Porsche. I've waited 20+ years, what's another day?
Old 07-26-2004, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: