Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

clutch job pride

I have a quote for 1600 for a new clutch installed is this a good price?
Old 07-25-2004, 02:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Ouch! Maybe.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 07-25-2004, 02:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I just paid $1900 ... here's why

They wouldn't let me supply my own parts
Had a huge markup on parts
Charged the full 11 hours

I couldn't do it myself ( no space )
It was totally broke and by the time I towed it somewere else, would have come out the same.

So, thats not too bad.
Current Stable 944 83 Kalahari Beige manual rack, short 5th gear951 86 Guards Red, pristine TurboYou must not anger the Porsche Gods - you MUST leave one small item unrepaired, lest the Stuttgartians smite thine car with bad Ju-Ju-AF Juvat
Old 07-25-2004, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

Sounds about right. Mine came to about $1,400. $500 in parts and $900 in labor. I just didn't have the space to work on it myself.

That $900 was 14.5 hours of labor at $62/hour.

Aaron
Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 07-25-2004, 03:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to shocker1322
That sounds good if you cannot or do not want to do it yourself. You can save alot by doing it yourself though, mine cost around $650 for everything.
28mm Sway-Away Torsion Bars
275 lb/in hypercoils, adjustable Koni's
Old 07-25-2004, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

If you have the place to do it, you're going to be ripped off. If you can't do it, then it's a shade high but not too bad. We did my brother's 88na for $400US, but we did the work in his garage.
Old 07-25-2004, 04:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Deplorable Member

Garage
I'd ask 'em first if you can supply the parts before I'd let anyone touch it so as to not get raped for the mark-up. Fortunately the PO had just put in a Sachs before I got the car so I think I'm good for a while. Even so, and despite the fact that I generally prefer to do everything myself (engine rebuild included) I would NOT want to do a clutch on these cars. I'll gladly pay the grand in labor and provide the parts. It can be someone else's headache when the time comes. . .

Black Cars Matter
Old 07-25-2004, 05:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

what kind of clutch should i put in and where can I find it cheap
Old 07-25-2004, 06:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Makenzie71 Send a message via Yahoo to Makenzie71
Yougo to a shop and you're going to pay for the name. I'd highly suggest visiting Sears and one ACT's websites.

the "baby" that comes first...
Old 07-25-2004, 06:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Makenzie71
Yougo to a shop and you're going to pay for the name. I'd highly suggest visiting Sears and one ACT's websites.
Oh yeah, like I'd trust a sears mechanic on a german clutch that takes over 10 hrs.....
Get a grip...

Only if the mechanic was a 944 person.
Current Stable 944 83 Kalahari Beige manual rack, short 5th gear951 86 Guards Red, pristine TurboYou must not anger the Porsche Gods - you MUST leave one small item unrepaired, lest the Stuttgartians smite thine car with bad Ju-Ju-AF Juvat
Old 07-25-2004, 06:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
In either case, the SACHS clutch is the probably the best for the money....
MSD Ingnition System
Zimmerman XDrilled Frt/Rear
BB Headers & Cat Back Exhaust
Mass Flow Air w/ Ingen Technology
Nology Pro Fire Wires & Coil
Millie Cup Wheels and Kuma's
Old 07-25-2004, 07:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Don 944 LA
Oh yeah, like I'd trust a sears mechanic on a german clutch that takes over 10 hrs.....
Get a grip...

What the hell? Last time I checked Sears didn't do serious work like that...but they do sell TOOLS. You know...TOOLS? Like what you need when you WORK ON YOUR OWN CAR?

Get a grip? Why don't you crawl out of my ass...

Old 07-25-2004, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Wow...slow down Makenzie71. I don't think Don meant any harm....
To Don's point, a clutch is a clutch...procedure is pretty straight forward and the onyl reason it takes so long is because of all the darn screws, etc. you have to deal with. Like Porsche-O-Phile said, I'd rather pay the grand than deal with the headache...
Old 07-25-2004, 07:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Makenzie71
What the hell? Last time I checked Sears didn't do serious work like that...but they do sell TOOLS. You know...TOOLS? Like what you need when you WORK ON YOUR OWN CAR?

Get a grip? Why don't you crawl out of my ass...
I'm not up your ass !!!

you are suggesting going to a place like Sears because of the name... There was nothing said about tools !!!
Of course Sears doesn't do things like that.. thats what I was saying..
Stop trolling...... or go to OT and troll
Old 07-25-2004, 07:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Siberian
Wow...slow down Makenzie71. I don't think Don meant any harm....
To Don's point, a clutch is a clutch...procedure is pretty straight forward and the onyl reason it takes so long is because of all the darn screws, etc. you have to deal with. Like Porsche-O-Phile said, I'd rather pay the grand than deal with the headache...

yeah....you're prolly right, being I'm obviously a troll and all...

Old 07-25-2004, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Old 07-25-2004, 07:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to lousailor Send a message via Yahoo to lousailor
Tsk tsk,
another post goes tragically off topic and into personal attacks. I'm sure what Mackenzie was trying to say was "save your money, go to Sears to get the required tools, buy your parts online and do it yourself."

I did the job myself and although the combined cost of all the different parts (I did much more than just the clutch) was probably close to his quote, I bet I saved over two grand in labor. What I got was a daily driver with A/C delete, new front susp bushings, new a-arms, new anti-sway bars, new shocks and struts, new pads and rotors, as well as a new clutch. I now have enough confidence in the car to bring to SCCA AX's, as well as becoming extremely familiar in the systems to make the thing go.

'85 (Early) 944 - Beater
'87 924S - Crunch/Rebuild
'76 924 - Long Gone
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti
Old 07-26-2004, 02:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

Not all of us have the time and the space to work on a car like that. While I can sympathise with those who suggest that the owner do pretty much everything on his own, the simple reality is that for a lot of people, it's worth the money to pay someone else to do the job.

Personally, I would prefer to repair my car on my own, but such things are verboten at my apartment complex. Just changing spark plugs or oil is really pushing the envelope of what they allow.

Aaron
Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 07-26-2004, 03:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Doing one for a customer now - will be around $1750

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 07-26-2004, 03:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Porsches are not worth it.

Old 07-26-2004, 04:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: