Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to SlowToady
The Porsche Gods strike!

Ahh!! The Porsche Gods hit me tonight on my way to a girls house--God Elektrisch*. He would of course be the God of Electrical systems who decided after a conference with God Rad that I should be punished for only washing 2/4 rims. So, on my way to said girls house, the alternator finally gave out, the battery drained and I got stuck on the side of the road. Somehow I manage to always stay in a good mood with my car, so it was no big deal. Walk to the nearest gas station, call mom, call Kevin's Towing, and an hour later Herbie is sitting in the drive again. Tomorrow I am going to get an alternator and try and put it in before work. I might even polish up the other 2 rims in an effort to appease the Gods, and wash the car afterwards!!!

What did we learn today? If you know a part is failing, replace it RSN*.

Cheers,

Slow~

*Yes, I googled the German; excuse me if it's wrong:-P
*RSN == Real Soon Now

Fakelife.com Nothing to do with archery anymore. Porsche/BMW/Ferrari/Honda videos
Old 07-25-2004, 07:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Makenzie71 Send a message via Yahoo to Makenzie71
why wait til tomorrow...unless it was late in the evening...? I've changed many alternators in Autozone/etc parking lots...lol. Side of the road would be about the same...lol.

the "baby" that comes first...
Old 07-25-2004, 08:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Yup, it was 10PM here. I was actually just going to do it on the side of the road, but my mom was all "You'll get a ticket ". I already got a parking ticket, and with my luck, I didn't feel like chancing it. Plus, it feels good to know Herbie's in the drive way.

Whoa, brainstorm. I could have had it towed to my work, and I coulda pushed it into the bay in the morning, and done it there. No jacks to dick around with, no wheel chocks...

Fakelife.com Nothing to do with archery anymore. Porsche/BMW/Ferrari/Honda videos
Old 07-25-2004, 08:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Ok, so I've called around town and the most expensive alternator is $320 with a $110 core exchange, and the cheapest was $168 with the core exchange. I don't know who makes the cheaper one, but I think the make of the most expensive one was like DuraLite or something like that. Is one brand better than the other? Should I insist on a particular brand?

Or I could re-build it. Or have it rebuilt. A local alternator shop said "::whistle:: I've done one before, and it was a couple hundred bucks". Said he'd have to see it to really give me a real estimate. Is rebuilding this thing something your shade tree mechanic can do? Is it worth it?

Old 07-26-2004, 09:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Mein Gott!

Garage
I've seen a few rebuilt Bosch alternators that consisted of new brushes, new voltage regulator, cleaned contacts, and an overall cleaning to make it look pretty. Are you absolutely sure that the entire alternator needs an overhaul? Take your old one and peddle it around - a good shop should do it for about $170.

Oh - and tell them that its from an old '78 VW rabbit or something if they ask what car it came from.
1972 Triumph TR6 - 100% trouble free between breakdowns
2003 BMW 325xi
Old 07-26-2004, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pokey
Yes, don't say it's from a Porsche, tell them it's from a '86 Rabbit. Theres nothing special about our alt.s. It is probably blown diodes or bad brushes. Those seem to be what goes out most commonly.
1955 BMW R69
1999 Range Rover Callaway #011 of 220 (Yeah, as in Callaway Corvette...)
Old 07-26-2004, 01:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Good electrical shops can rebuild them in house for really cheap...usually they can up the output as well...

Old 07-26-2004, 03:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I am going to take it to a local shop called A and S Alternators--apparently all the guy does is rebuild these things. I didn't realize quite how much demand there was for this. He said he can have it done in a day, maybe even same day, whereas ordering a "new" one will take around until the end of the week. Said he has to see it to give me an estimate though, which isn't relally a big deal since I'm about to go take it off right now...

Old 07-26-2004, 05:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

if it's a good shop it'll be around 1/4 what people want for a rebuilt/new one...

Old 07-26-2004, 05:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: