Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Porsche Crest Help...Suspension Suggestions?

I am looking to upgrade my front suspension...There seems to be a lot of options to go with out there. I like the Koni Coil Over with 400 Lb Hypercoil adjustable set-up, and the same with Welmeister Coils looks good also...Anyone have a suggestion with a way to go here? Not looking for "race car" performance but a firmer handling/ feedback setup...By the way it is for a 1988 944na with Sealed Struts

MSD Ingnition System
Zimmerman XDrilled Frt/Rear
BB Headers & Cat Back Exhaust
Mass Flow Air w/ Ingen Technology
Nology Pro Fire Wires & Coil
Millie Cup Wheels and Kuma's
Old 07-26-2004, 07:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to gearhead290
Upgrading only the front suspension will make the car handle like a$$. I would recommend running JIC coilovers. http://www.JICmagic.com is their homepage. I haven't heard of anybody that runs them on their 944 yet, but I hear LOTS of good things about them from people that have boughten their products for other cars (S13s, S14s, AE86, FC, FD).
Old 07-26-2004, 09:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Makenzie71 Send a message via Yahoo to Makenzie71
Quote:
Originally posted by gearhead290
Upgrading only the front suspension will make the car handle like a$$. I would recommend running JIC coilovers. http://www.JICmagic.com is their homepage. I haven't heard of anybody that runs them on their 944 yet, but I hear LOTS of good things about them from people that have boughten their products for other cars (S13s, S14s, AE86, FC, FD).

I've had them on two FC RX-7's. Not only a great product but the company is great to deal with. I slight mishap occured when I first ordered from them and they fixed the problem (shipped right parts) within two days. On top of that the performance gained is incomparable to the rest of the market. Great products.

After tossing the 944 around for a bit, I think the first thing I would replace on the suspension are rol-bars (slightly larger) and all the bushings. The coils and struts seem almost perfect for the ride.

the "baby" that comes first...
Old 07-26-2004, 09:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to lousailor Send a message via Yahoo to lousailor
Shocks, springs and bushings. Anti-sway bar effectiveness is usually overblown. This site is offering front adjustable perch kits at an amazingly low price: http://www.daveturner.com/

DO-IT-YOURSELF
Coil-Over Kit
Converts standard McPherson struts to adjustable coil-overs.
You can now easily set ride height and weight bias.
SCCA Improved Touring class legal.
You can now use standard 2.5" I.D. race car springs. Rates available from 100 to 700lbs./inch.
Two ways of installing threaded sleeves.
A. Slide sleeve over McPherson strut and let base of sleeve rest on stock spring perch.
B. Remove stock spring perch and install locating collar.
Complete Kit Includes:
Threaded sleeves
Upper and lower sprong perches
Sleeve mounting collar
AND 2.5 coil springs.*
*Choice of spring rate.
Complete Kit, only $99.00 each wheel.

'85 (Early) 944 - Beater
'87 924S - Crunch/Rebuild
'76 924 - Long Gone
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti
Old 07-27-2004, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

lousilar-that DIY coilovers sounds a lot like an ignorant man's "race" suspension. Too bad the dampening on the struts won't be anywhere near matched to the springs causing the car to osolate (sp?) and handle like a$$ except with a very rough ride.
Old 07-27-2004, 02:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I don't think it's a bad set-up. Very close to what paragon offers. You can pick your spring rate, and if you use stock turbo strut housings you can use the Koni adjustable strut inserts. Adjustable coil overs at only a fraction of a custom kit, or even a matched eibach or H&R set. Check the web site this ain't some guy selling stuff out of his garage.

'85 (Early) 944 - Beater
'76 924 - Long Gone
- Mario Andretti
Old 07-27-2004, 04:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Gents, Should I assume that the two set-ups I was considering is not the way to go?
MSD Ingnition System
Old 07-27-2004, 05:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
If all you want is sportier handling, then you just need a basic package.

Anti sway bars (these will keep the car more level around turns):
'88 NAs should have come with a 23 or 24mm front anti sway bar, and probably a 14mm rear. If you can get a hold of a turbo set-up cheap all you need to do is touch up the paint and buy new bushings, that'll give you a 26.8 mm hollow front, and an 18mm rear.

Springs (this is what will stiffen up and lower your front susp):
'88 NAs came with 140-160 lb/in springs, so if you want to be sporty go with 200 lb/in, if you want to AX try 250 lb/in, and then if you want to track it, drive someone's with stiffer and see what you can stand on the street. Remember if you go beyond 200 lb/in you will need to make changes in the rear which means replacing torsion bars or adding a helper/coilover spring kit (mo-money).

Shocks: If you have the sealed front struts you can try the koni insert DIY kit (some cutting drilling required). If not they make koni inserts as well as bilstien or OEM Boges replacement inserts. You're best bet for the buck would be adjustables all around so you could make changes as needed to your driving needs.

My recommendation to liven up your car would be to replace all the suspension bushings (bars, a-arms, training arms) with poly if possible, a turbo sway bar replacement (front and rear), toss in adjustable koni sports all around, and front lowering (1-1.5") 200 lb/in front springs. It probably won't cost as much as just the front coilover kits you were looking at and it will be a considerable change.

'85 (Early) 944 - Beater
'76 924 - Long Gone
- Mario Andretti
Old 07-27-2004, 06:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks a lot for the input...it certainly gives me a lot of options...
MSD Ingnition System
Old 07-27-2004, 08:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

88 944 did NOT come with a rear sway bar stock, unless it had a special package. Buy just a 951 rear sway bar with mounting hardware. I ran one and it created more oversteer, but it made the a$$ more predictable and consistent. Also replacing all of your bushings is a very good idea and some upgraded struts would be good (koni 4-way or Bilstein). Upgrading the front springs but not the rear torsen bars will create understeer UNLESS you can use the adjustable struts to contradict it (IE. buying koni 4-ways and setting the front at 1 and the rear at 4 and tuning it to your liking)
Old 07-27-2004, 09:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Hmmm,
my early had a rear 14mm. I have noticed some oversteer AXing since I put in the 18mm, but most of it I think was offset by replacing the front springs with turbo yellow dots and a larger front bar.

'85 (Early) 944 - Beater
'76 924 - Long Gone
- Mario Andretti
Old 07-27-2004, 10:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by lousailor
I don't think it's a bad set-up. Very close to what paragon offers. You can pick your spring rate, and if you use stock turbo strut housings you can use the Koni adjustable strut inserts.
I agree with this. Provided that you drop in the Koni adjustable inserts, you should be good up to/including a spring rate of 400lbs. Any higher than that, and you would need some custom valving on the struts.

My P-caronline Profile

"A good time to keep your mouth shut is when you're in deep water. "--
Sidney Goff
Old 07-28-2004, 05:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: