Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
entertaining the idea

Garage
Which chip?

I am currently working on getting the FRWilks chip for my car. I am curious which chip would be better for normal driving, and an autox from time to time. Will the 7000 rpm limit be too high for a bone stock engine?

What is the stock redline for the early 944s anyways?

Thanks

a well set-up 1983 Guards Red 944
Old 07-27-2004, 05:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to fast924S
stock redline is 6500rpm, The 7,000rpm redline is ok for a stock motor just dont hold it there all day. It is also good for autoX Because if you need to stay in That gear a little longer you can. I think the 7,000rom chip is a great all around chip for what your looking for. I am also running the 7,000rpm FR-wilk chip and I love it, install was easy and the extra power is great. You willl love it
Old 07-27-2004, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
entertaining the idea

Garage
Cool, thanks for the info. I can't wait to get it next month.

Old 07-27-2004, 06:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I hope to be able to get one soon myself. At the end of next month, one of the racing clubs in town is sponsoring a dyno day. $50 and get three pulls on the dyno. I'd love to have the dual-chip system in place by then. On the first pull use the stock chip. Flip the switch and see what happens with the second two pulls.
Old 07-27-2004, 07:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

is there one available for the 83 944?

MODS: ENGINE: Firebraid 9mm plugwires. Weltmeister Throttle Cam, Dansk exhaust. lo-temp thermostat & fan switch, aluminum radiator. SUSPENSION: H&R 250lb springs, KYB GR-2 struts(front) Bilstien Shocks(rear), Racing Dynamics strut bar, APPEARANCE: 15" Phone Dial wheels, a-pillar w/ VDO H2O and volts gauges.

1987 944-S Montego Black
-needs your help
Old 07-27-2004, 07:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Yup, but you need to convert the DME to take a socket, via a daughter-board that Mr. Wilk will be happy to sell you. Comes with detailed instructions.

I converted a friends '84 the other w/e, took a little while but nothing too difficult if you're reasonably good at soldering and take care. Hot tip: buy a $5 "nippy" tool and dremel the jaws thinner.

Oh, and seriously consider the dual adaptor board - my buddy regrets being cheap already

If you're not experienced at soldering, it might not be a great idea - but F.R. Wilk can convert it for you, or sell you a DME ready to go.

Or check with him - I see no reason you shouldn't buy a later DME (e.g. with a socket) and use that - but be sure to check with him first..

Lots of info on the Motronic, AFM, O2 sensors here, as well as the early 944:

http://www.frwilk.com

I noticed that Bimmer Motronic ML3.1s were cheaper (though rarer) on Ebay than 944 ones, but I just bought a 944 DME for $75 - just took a while.
Old 07-27-2004, 08:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Oh, and I forgot to mention - the FR Wilk "shudder-fix" chip completely nailed the shudder problem if you happen to have that issue on an early 944... It was easily worth the work just to see Scott's happy smiling face when he pulls up a light - the shudder was driving him crazy...

No affiliation to FR - but he's getting some money from me pretty soon too.

I'd rather buy from someone who actually tells you what he does in the chip, as opposed to the other guys - who don't give you a clue. I'm getting one for my '86 as soon as I get through the regular tune-up items.

I can't wait for daxdog's dyno runs, they should be really interesting! Even though from the testimonials, it's not the absolute, top-end power that the chip provides, so much as mid-range drivability, response and removing that cursed weak spot...
Old 07-27-2004, 08:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to bigyagi
hey spuggy, you got that one right on! anyone who has bought one of FRW'S chips, will tell you that they are extremely happy with the change it makes to the driveability, and the wide range of torque, available from 2k. in my humble opinion, it makes a great car even better.
regards, bob.
2002 grand am--better halfs ride.
olds 98 royal brougham--gone, but not forgotten.
Old 07-28-2004, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I just placed an order for a PowerProm 2 and I opted for the 6500 RPM limit. Though the extra revs would be alot of fun, I decided to save my engine the additional flogging I already do.
I hope I don't regret my decision. (I highly doubt I will considering how much praise I have heard about Wilk's chip)
Can't wait to get the chip myself.

944 Turbo 5-spd, Black, 1987-present
70k miles
Old 07-28-2004, 09:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by fast924S
stock redline is 6500rpm, The 7,000rpm redline is ok for a stock motor just dont hold it there all day. It is also good for autoX Because if you need to stay in That gear a little longer you can. I think the 7,000rom chip is a great all around chip for what your looking for. I am also running the 7,000rpm FR-wilk chip and I love it, install was easy and the extra power is great. You willl love it

Ditto - my combo came alive with the installation of the test pipe sans the cat...

BTW - I vote for Doritos Cool Ranch...subtle taste and not as pricey as an FRWilk chip
"Long Hoods Rule"
"RICE - The Breakfast of Champions"

Last edited by COLDBASS; 07-28-2004 at 04:17 PM..
Old 07-28-2004, 01:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
I just ordered the chip with the 7000RPM limit. I will probably never bring my engine that high, but you never know....

Payment is being sent out tomorrow, I will keep everyone updated.
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 08-19-2004, 08:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Where do you get FRWilks chips?
Old 08-20-2004, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by qawse
Where do you get FRWilks chips?
http://www.frwilk.com/944dme/

944 Turbo 5-spd, Black, 1987-present
70k miles
Old 08-20-2004, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
qawse, the FRWilk chip is generally considered the best 944 engine upgrade. It re-maps the fuel-air delivery system and really smooths out the power delivery. He has made no claims of increasing peak horsepower, but as the powerband is significantly flatter, you get more hp at low rpms.

Accelleration times, according to people who have already installed the chip, improve noticably.

OH, and it also fixes that annoying "drop and shudder."

I can't friggin wait to get it.
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 08-20-2004, 10:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
entertaining the idea

Garage
I had to put off ordering mine for a week or so. I got my alignment done yesterday, and it turns out one of my front tires is completely bald on the inside.

I can't wait to get mine though......

Old 08-20-2004, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Hey Boys! This is my first post on Pelican; although I've been devouring any and all info thanks to all of you all being really cool and sharing your valuable knowledge and time. Oddly enough; I find myself silently answering questions posed by others already- must be soaking in. A brief bio: Guards Red/117K/944 N/A /3rd owner/ great original paint/ exceptional interior ( I'm told)- no dash cracks or leather damage. I attribute this to the original owner being a female (less weight)/ 968 wheels with some thick Khumo skins/recently: struts&shocks, K&N stock setup- didn"t see any advantage in the cone, Dr. Wilk's circuit board demon/5spd(of course) and what I consider the best upgrade- weltmeister throttle cam! Why? Before, my Toyota truck was much easier to heel toe than the 944!!! Now I can blip the throttle for fast and fun downshifts. It's money. So far I've taken it apart fairly extensively in order to fix many elec. snafus (seat , sunroof , hatch etc.) Iv'e never wrenched before except for tunes, water pumps, alts. but I insist on doing it all myself including the venerable timing belt.Thats why i bought it as a "hobby car" as I'm sure many of you have. She's a head turner alright- much like Rachael Welsh -beautiful structures stand the test of time. Oh yeah- her name is Sonia-as in Red. Cheers!
Old 08-21-2004, 06:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
has anybody with wilk's chip actually dyno'd their car before/after?

not that it matters, i'm just curious what the difference looks like.

if he made a turbo chip i'd be the first to dyno it.
Old 08-21-2004, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
i think the power curve would just have a much more gradual incline. it would start higher, and be more of a hill than a mountain... that would be my guess
Old 08-22-2004, 05:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
suck my tail pipe

Send a message via AIM to Frank B
Wilk's chip is THE only chip you will need.. nuff said.
Old 08-23-2004, 04:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: