Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Custom User Title

Smile The time has come

After much soul searching, I have decided to sell my car. Its a very hard decision, as I have loved it to death. Honestly, the problem is it has never loved me back. I have put thousands into it, and it is sitting in my garage undrivable for reasons which lie beyond my grasp. Here is the breakdown (no pun intended):

The Good:

6/04
- Instrument cluster fixed. Odometer works again (replaced gear, cleaned up debris), and gauges light up properly.

2/04
- 1 New Injector+ clean and reseal other 3.

Huge service 5/5/03
- oil pan gasket
- air oil separator
- lower balance shaft seals
- timing + balance belts
- rod bearings (the ones that came out looked great too)
- freshly rebuilt tranny with LSD and powerhaus gears (rebuilt by steinels, one season on gearbox). $3500 for tranny, $2568 for rest of this service (there were some smaller items too)

Includes Brey-Krause harness bar, harnesses

new set of Mintex pads, uninstalled

Service 2-25-01
- New Waterpump
- various leaking gaskets replaced
- $1517

8-27-01
- New gas tank
- B&B exhaust ($618.75)

4/11/01
- New Paint ($1905 'friend price'). Still very nice paint

3-2-01 ($1262.24)
- power steering pump seals
- various gaskets

2-13-01
- New leather on seats ($844). Still extremely nice.

11-27-00
- Koni Yellows $521 + $300 install

11-20-00 ($1521.44)
- Clutch replaced + rear main seal

9-15-00
- radiator

7/24/00
- oil press sensor, paper gasket, cam gasket, oil pressure switch, cam and balance belts, CV boot repairs,

The list goes on, and I skipped a lot.

The Bad:
Oil is leaking from somewhere. I can't imagine from where, as nearly everything that could leak was recently replaced. Its not substantial, as the oil level never really goes down, but there is oiliness on everything so something is amiss.

The battery likes to randomly drain. I repeatedly meaured draw on the battery and never saw more than 6 miliamps, so I have no idea why. If I disconnect the battery, it holds its charge just fine.

The car now doesn't start even though the battery is at nearly 12V. I have no idea why not.

There is a severe coolant leak. I have no idea from where. It just happened last time I started it. I was planning to find out tonight by starting the car and seeing where it came from now that the car is off the ground and I can see. Because it won't start, I have no way of figuring this out.

There is also presumably a vacuum leak somewhere.

The tires are also just about cashed out (like me).

Let me know what you guys think I could honestly get for it. I would love to see it go to a mechanically inclined individual who will love it for its tempermental nature, and free me so that I could start driving and stop scratching my head every time it breaks. Please try and appreciate my honesty too. I am obviously giving full disclosure on this and not playing salesman. I really think someone who is intelligent can make this car what it should be.

Last edited by rammstein; 07-28-2004 at 05:57 PM..
Old 07-28-2004, 05:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Damn Rammy!!, sorry to hear your giving up on the old car. Also sorry Boston is sooooooooooo far away from me..
And a whole bunch of German scrap metal shaped like 924's.

Old enough to know better, and stupid enough to do it anyway!
Old 07-28-2004, 06:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Not running- you will take an extreme beating on it.

My suggestion is to get a second opinion from a Porsche trained wrench on diagnosis of the problem..

I absloutely hate seeing threads like this.

Best of luck Rammstein, whatever happens.

88 924S Guards/ Black ~ 10 years as a Daily Driver and STILL SMILING!
87 NA Diamond Blue Metallic ~ Gone
Old 07-28-2004, 06:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to fast924S
Ram Dont give up!!!! There has been thousands of times I have wanted to sell my P-car but I still have faith. I know its alot of money, just put the car aside fror now and work on it slowly. Your never gonna get the money you have spent back, so tuck your tail between your legs and get back into that dam garage.
Old 07-28-2004, 06:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

chat room, now...

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 07-28-2004, 06:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to gearhead290
Sucks, but there's always a time to sell. how much are u looking to get out of it and how many miles has it turned over?
Old 07-28-2004, 09:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I hate to see another fellow Porsche owner down but if you really want to get rid of it I can possilby take it off youre hands. Could you please email me pictures to BlackSVT2002@yahoo.com, and also what you are trying to get out of it.

Nathan

MODS: ENGINE: Firebraid 9mm plugwires. Weltmeister Throttle Cam, Dansk exhaust. lo-temp thermostat & fan switch, aluminum radiator. SUSPENSION: H&R 250lb springs, KYB GR-2 struts(front) Bilstien Shocks(rear), Racing Dynamics strut bar, APPEARANCE: 15" Phone Dial wheels, a-pillar w/ VDO H2O and volts gauges.

1987 944-S Montego Black
-needs your help
Old 07-29-2004, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: