Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Hello everyone, new 944 owner here!!!

Hello everyone just thought i'd share my new excitement with all of you. My relative just recently passed down an 88 944 to me and I gladly accepted without refusing. It has 24,000 miles and is mint condition.
I'm looking to get rid of the stock Dunlop rubber and have read quite a few posts regarding an understeer problem with the 944. From what many have said, for handling purposes is it "advantageous" to get 245's for the rear or just stick with 225's all around?
Also a quick question on the sound system, the speakers are 4x6 all around correct? My car only has the 4 speaker system with 2 in front and 2 in the rear. Has anyone changed the head unit and only the speakers? How does it sound?

Here's a picture of my new ride.
Thanks, Pat
Old 07-30-2004, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
entertaining the idea

Garage
Nice car. Welcome to the board as well.

I changed my head unit and speakers to a blaupunkt CD and Eclipse 4x6 speakers. It sounds a lot better than the 20 year old speakers that were there. I would dsay it sounds about as good as you are going to get with 4 speakers of that size in a car that is loud....

a well set-up 1983 Guards Red 944
Old 07-30-2004, 04:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to bryanthompson Send a message via AIM to bryanthompson Send a message via Yahoo to bryanthompson
Welcome to the board!

Great looking car, looks like she belongs in a showroom!
Old 07-30-2004, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Congrats on the new ride!
Old 07-30-2004, 05:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by UconnTim97
Nice car. Welcome to the board as well.

I changed my head unit and speakers to a blaupunkt CD and Eclipse 4x6 speakers. It sounds a lot better than the 20 year old speakers that were there. I would dsay it sounds about as good as you are going to get with 4 speakers of that size in a car that is loud....
Yah, I know what you mean about the 4 speakers. As of now the rear speakers are horrible. I'll change all 4 out and put in a head unit. Don't know if I want to throw a little box in the back though because I don't want the hatch to start rattling haha.
Old 07-30-2004, 05:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Hey Great Ride...As for the speakers, I too bought an 88 944 which had the original speakers and a Clarion CD player..YUK. I installed a Blaupunkt San Francisco CD Head Unit and new Blaupunkt speakers all around and added a small bazooka tube to handle the bass. It tucks nicely behind the rear fold down seat and can be concealed by the cargo cover...It sounds unbelievable.....
MSD Ingnition System
Zimmerman XDrilled Frt/Rear
BB Headers & Cat Back Exhaust
Mass Flow Air w/ Ingen Technology
Nology Pro Fire Wires & Coil
Millie Cup Wheels and Kuma's
Old 07-30-2004, 06:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by AllPorsche944
Hey Great Ride...As for the speakers, I too bought an 88 944 which had the original speakers and a Clarion CD player..YUK. I installed a Blaupunkt San Francisco CD Head Unit and new Blaupunkt speakers all around and added a small bazooka tube to handle the bass. It tucks nicely behind the rear fold down seat and can be concealed by the cargo cover...It sounds unbelievable.....
Sounds like a pretty good setup. As far as changing head units and speakers goes. For example, if I was to purchase a head unit with 60x4 watt capability is there an adapter for the speaker wires to the preout's of the head unit or did you rewire the speakers straight to another amp? Or will the adapter at crutchfield take care of all the hookups including front and rear speaker hook ups to the head unit? All the audio systems I have setup have powerless head units meaning they are not amplified so I always just route the speakers straight to the amp.
Thanks, Pat
Old 07-30-2004, 07:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
As an experienced Porsche owner, I took one look at that car and realized it is very dangerous, requires expensive repairs, and will explode anytime now...oh & it is probably radioactive. As a favor I'll take it off your hands, contact me to arrange it.

Seriously, beautiful car, congratulations & welcome.

GHEN
Old 08-01-2004, 02:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Gorgeous.. make sure you check the rubber lines (vacuum, fuel, brakes) for any dryrot.. Very low miles!

88 924S Guards/ Black ~ 10 years as a Daily Driver and STILL SMILING!
87 NA Diamond Blue Metallic ~ Gone
Old 08-01-2004, 04:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris_924s
Gorgeous.. make sure you check the rubber lines (vacuum, fuel, brakes) for any dryrot.. Very low miles!
Will do, already changed brake/clutch fluid, engine oil, coolant, and all gear fluids. Do you guys use water wetter? How about any suggestions on spark plugs and air filters? Any info would help.
Thanks
Old 08-01-2004, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by impp83
Sounds like a pretty good setup. As far as changing head units and speakers goes. For example, if I was to purchase a head unit with 60x4 watt capability is there an adapter for the speaker wires to the preout's of the head unit or did you rewire the speakers straight to another amp? Or will the adapter at crutchfield take care of all the hookups including front and rear speaker hook ups to the head unit? All the audio systems I have setup have powerless head units meaning they are not amplified so I always just route the speakers straight to the amp.
Thanks, Pat
Head units that advertise 60x4 watt capability are talking about the built in amp. The pre-outs are just that, pre-amplified outputs (can't drive speakers properly, if at all). All head units I've seen have the preouts, then a wiring harness to connect directly to speakers. The wiring harness I got from crutchfield was pretty useless, as I didn't want to run 2 - channel sound. If you've got a head unit with that much power, you won't need an amp for 4x6 speakers. If you want to run a sub, that's a different story. You can either get a powered bass tube (like the bazooka) or a real enclosure with an amp. Personally I can't stand tubes, but I want my system to be low profile so I'm building custom enclosures for 8" Rockford Punch subs to go in the side cargo areas. I keep the amp in the spare tire well. So far it sounds great. The hatch really does provide and excellent reflective/focusing surface.

BTW, wiring the head unit isn't too hard. A little trial and error and a voltmeter and you should be set, as long as you aren't afraid of sodering or splicing. Don't shock yourself (or step of the sodering iron...). Live and learn...
Old 08-01-2004, 01:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Nice ride, Pat.
May I ask how much you paid for it? The reason I ask because I'm toying with the idea to have a 944 as my daily driver. I just drove one today. 87' 944S 41K miles. Everything is original. The car is tight and the interior is like new. 1 owner car and I love it.
-'07 GT3 RS -'07 Top Kart KPV-4
Old 08-01-2004, 09:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
You're missing something...

I think... wait...

Yeah. you need some socks.

"Drive it like you stole it."
Old 08-01-2004, 10:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to bigyagi
very nice car indeed. congrats!
2002 grand am--better halfs ride.
olds 98 royal brougham--gone, but not forgotten.
Old 08-02-2004, 06:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by andyu911
Nice ride, Pat.
May I ask how much you paid for it? The reason I ask because I'm toying with the idea to have a 944 as my daily driver. I just drove one today. 87' 944S 41K miles. Everything is original. The car is tight and the interior is like new. 1 owner car and I love it.
I actually didn't pay for it hehe...my aunt just passed it down to me as a gift so I lucked out, sorry.
Old 08-02-2004, 07:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Just thinking out loud

Very nice! You will want to check when the belts were last changed if they have been at all.
Old 08-02-2004, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by impp83
I actually didn't pay for it hehe...my aunt just passed it down to me as a gift so I lucked out, sorry.
Does your aunt need any more nephews? I'm available!
Old 08-02-2004, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
i would be very careful, since that is such a great looking car....if it had been mine, i would be tempted to come back from the dead to take it out for one more spin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-02-2004, 08:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by TSNAPCRACKLEPOP
i would be very careful, since that is such a great looking car....if it had been mine, i would be tempted to come back from the dead to take it out for one more spin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Haha don't worry my aunt didn't die. I checked all hoses and belts and all is well. i'll probably replace the timng belt some time in the near future just for precaution. But other than that this car is so much fun to drive. Feels pretty darn solid in the cockpit.
Old 08-02-2004, 10:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Makenzie71 Send a message via Yahoo to Makenzie71
I'm a pioneer fan so I'm using all pioneer components. Though Blaupunkt is good quality, in Northern Texas the Honolulu headunit I have just can't handle the weather and ride. Skips like mad and tends to overheat.

I'm using a DEH - P25 head...it's an older unit but the output is nominal for my project.

TS-A640P 6.5" 4 way speakers 220W, 50w RMS

These and custom grills are replaceing the front 4X6 speakers.

TS-A6870R 6"X8" 3-WAY Speakers 2-50 watts RMS

These are going in the rear locations. It's dificult but they DO fit with some finagling.

TS-A6960R 6x9 3-Way speakers 60w RMS

These are going ina custom shelf attached to the top of the back seats...much like the rear deack in a typical sedan/coupe.

TS-W28C 10" subwoofer 100w RMS

This is going in the custom rear deck. I've had this woofer a long time, wonderful product. The head-unit alone (on the rear channels independantly) can power it and it sounds great. Plus, since they're an older product, they're ridiculously cheap.

GM-X374 50w RMS X 4 @ 2ohms

This will be fed left and right channels only. It will power the 6X9's on two channels, and two channels will power the sub.

the "baby" that comes first...
Old 08-02-2004, 10:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: