Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Closed Thread

944 vs late 70s camero

Last night I pull up behind a 70's camero at a light and all I can hear is the rumble of his engine. His rear window is filled with stickers like Edelbrock, Morosso, Comp Cams,etc. you get the idea, and a for sale sign. Right before the light turns green he starts revving his engine. We were both turning right onto a two lane road, the light turns green and surprisingly he doesn't speed off. Instead he starts driving excessively slow so that I will pass him and we can race. Obviously he doesn't know that I have a four cylinder, so I wait him out thinking he'll just forget about it, but nooo he has to slow down more and start revving again. So I pull into the passing lane in second gear around 4000rpm. As I start to pass him he floors it and I can hear his motor roar. I redlined and shifted to third and looked over, he wasn't there? I looked into the sideview mirror and realized he was about two car lengths behind me and I was pulling away. As we come to a slight bend, there is a car waiting to turn left in my lane so I get over in front of him and declare victory as we approach the light. I am assuming that he was taking someone on a test drive and probably said something like,"watch me dust this porsche" - sorry pal not today. I will admit that if we were starting from a stop he'd would have crushed me, but atleast he doesn't know that!
Old 07-31-2004, 08:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #1 (permalink)

you can outdrag an 02 mustang right from the start..... I just did 2 nights ago. I slowed down after a while, the guy got furious, passed me and flipped me off. I just laughed my arse off!
Old 07-31-2004, 08:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #2 (permalink)
Used & Abused

I can't remember where this came from. It's probably been bastardized so many times that most people have heard(read) it but to those who haven't, here goes.

I was headed back from Baskin Robbins with my manly triple-latte cappuccino blast ("No Cinnamon, ma'am, I take it BLACK"), when I stopped at a streetlight. As the 944 throbbed its throaty idle around me, I sipped my bold beverage and wiped the white froth my stiff upper lip. I was minding my own business, but then I heard a rev from the next lane. I turned, made eye contact, then let my eyes trace over the competition. Ford Festiva -- a late model, could be trouble. Low profile tires, curb feelers, and schoolbus-yellow paint. Yep, a hot rod, for sure.

The howl of his motor snapped my reverie, and I looked back into the driver's eyes, nodded, then blipped my own throttle. As I tugged on my driving gloves and slipped on my sunglasses (gotta look cool to be fast, and I am *damn* cool, hence...), the night was split with the sound of eight screaming cylinders...

Then the light turned... I almost had him out of the hole, my four pounding cylinders thrusting me at least a millimeter back into my seat, as smoke pouring from my rear right tire... my unlimited slip differential was letting me down! I saw in the corner of my eyes, a yellow snout gaining, and I heard the roar of his four cylinders. He slung by me, right front wheel juddering against the pavement, and he flashed me a smile as his .8 less liters of motor stretched its legs. I kept my foot gamely in it, though, waiting for the tachometer to finally start climbing. I saw a glimpse of chrome under his bumper, and knew the ugly truth... He was running a custom exhaust -- probably a 2-into-1 dual exhaust...maybe event cutouts! Damn his hot-rod soul! The old lady passing us on the crosswalk cast a dirty look in our boy-racer direction...

Yet still I persisted, with my four pumping pistons singing a heady high-pitched song, wound fully out. Though only a few handfuls of seconds had passed, we were nearing the crosswalk at the other side of the intersection, and I heard the note of his engine change as he made his shift to second, and I saw his grin in his rearview mirror fade as he missed the shift! I rocketed by, shifting, and nursed the clutch gently in to keep from bogging, keeping my motor spinning hot and pulling me ahead, now trailing a cloud of stinking clutch smoke. Not ready to give up so easily, he left his foot in it, revving, and I heard one wheel *almost* chirp as he finally found second and dropped the clutch. We careened over the crosswalk, now going at least 15 miles per hour. A bicyclist passed us, but intent on the race as we were, neither of us batted an eye.

He pulled slowly abreast of me, and neck and neck, we made the shift to third, the scream of motors deafening all pedestrians within a five foot circle. He nosed ahead as we passed 30 miles an hour, then eased in front of me, taunting, as we shifted into fourth. I was staring up the dual 6" chrome tips of his exhaust, snarling, my cappuccino forgotten, as he lifted a little to take the next corner.

I saw my opportunity, and counting on the innate agility of my trusty steed, I pulled wide into the number two lane and kept my foot buried in carpet. Slowly, I inched around him, feeling my 944 roll slowly to the left as I came abreast in the midst of this gradual sweeping turn. I felt the Porsche ease onto its suspension stops, and felt the right front wheel slowly leave the ground - no matter, though, because my drive wheels, in the rear, were pushing me through the corner, and around the Festiva ...

The Ford driver beat his wheel in rage as my car eased past him on the outside, my nearly bald tires screaming in protest, as we raced to the next light. We coasted down, neck-and neck, to the red light. I tightened my driving gloves, ready for another round, when this WIMP in the next car meekly flipped his turn signal and made a right. porsche (Volkswagen) superiority reigns!!!

I drove off sipping my masculine drink, awash in my sheer virility, looking for other unwitting targets.... Perhaps a Yugo, or maybe even a VW Van!

"Oh Bother," said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Old 07-31-2004, 10:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #3 (permalink)

That was the best story I have ever read in my entire life.
Old 07-31-2004, 10:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #4 (permalink)

I only wish I had a spare 5 grand to turn my 944 into a bad arsed biatch with attitude.
Guess I have to settle with smoking fat pickups, stock hondas/toyotas and the odd mustang!
btw.... wish I had another 11K for this baby
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2485413777&category=6434
Old 07-31-2004, 03:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #5 (permalink)
entertaining the idea

Garage
I think that car was listed before...it had a terrible interior, 2 different seats, etc....

a well set-up 1983 Guards Red 944
Old 07-31-2004, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #6 (permalink)

Deplorable Member

Garage
Even an n/a 944 will kick the crap out of 99.9% of the other cars out there in the curves. Just sucker the challenger onto a windy road, sit back, and enjoy eating them alive. The n/a might not be explosive off the line, but if you're smart about it, you can exploit their weakness (handling) and make use of your strength (handling) to give 'em a whoopin'. The 944 is not a drag car and never will be. Even my turbo conversion won't explode off the line but once it winds up to about 3 or 4 grand, see ya. AND I'll have the handling to match. 944s can EASILY be built to be quite formidable cars, just takes time and money.

Black Cars Matter
Old 07-31-2004, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #7 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
the low end torque of the 944 sucks, and that's all there is to it... that's why i always try to avoid making it look like i am taking off fast off the line at a stop light.

the thing is, however, that the 944 keeps up stong accelleration when other sports cars start to slow down

in my less mature days, when i first got the 944 (about 4.5 years ago now), i was challenged to a race by a tuned 5.0 Mustang at 3AM at a traffic light. Long story short is that he killed me off the line, but once i hit 4th i was already past him.
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 07-31-2004, 06:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
once my friends and i were driving home from a really bad party looking for a place to go. as we were driving down the highway there was a riced out 91 civic hatchback me in my 924S and 2 of my other buddies one in a 89 300ZX and another in an 01 pr5 were were just chillin when we all hear the civic downshift. to make a long story short my and my friend in the 300zx were litterally driving circles around the civic laughing our a$$es off while my friend in the pr5 was speeding past him and slowing down then passing him over and over again. then i pissed off my friend in the 300zx and drove around him hehe.

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 08-01-2004, 06:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #9 (permalink)

how much extra hp will i get if I install a K&N air filter for my N/a 944? 5?
Old 08-01-2004, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #10 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to fast924S
I have beat a stock Foxbody 5.0 mustange on the Highway. There is this stupid kid that lives on my street, IS parents have lots of $$$$$ and got him a Honda S2000, its got exhaust, intake, body kit, rims, and I dont know what else, but everytime I see him He races me and I HATE it, I can stay about 1-1.5 car lengths behind him but he just has too many gears and way more RPMs then me, and it handles good too. But hell if I spent $30,000 on my 924S it would be a hole different story.

P/S One day I will beat that S2000
Old 08-01-2004, 08:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #11 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
Get a 968 -- which was manufactured closer to the date of his car than your 924S. Also has more power

"Drive it like you stole it."
Old 08-01-2004, 09:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #12 (permalink)
Deplorable Member

Garage
You'll dramatically shorten the life of your engine due to ingestion of particulates. And it really does nothing, since the air being pulled in is warmer than it ordinarily would be (cold air=more dense, more mass of the fuel/air charge per intake stroke, more power).

Black Cars Matter
Old 08-01-2004, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #13 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Makenzie71 Send a message via Yahoo to Makenzie71
Bull4u3me...

With the large bore of the 944, a large K&N will work fine. "Injestion of particles" is a very mild concern. It it were a B16 or something then you might have to worry a little. Also, intake temps are no higher with a K&N, and much lower with a wrapped/shielded intake. However, when it comes to performance and effetiveness, K&N is a ghetto rice-boy stuff. If you want to get something that is quality and will yield you the best gains, look at Apex'i's steel mesh filter. It outperforms K&N (and EVERYONE else) in EVERY department. But, at $100~150 for basic cone filters, it cost the part. If your going to invest in the intake system, either buy th ebest or leave it alone.

the "baby" that comes first...
Old 08-01-2004, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #14 (permalink)

thanks for the input...
btw..does " Ich habe schlechtes Deutsch gesprochen" mean you speak bad german?

I remember this one time I was on I-26 side by side with a souped up (greddy exhaust... blah blah) nissan 03 sentra with no one in front of us for miles. We were doing 130mph side by side, and I was pretty amazed at how my car could keep up with a modified engine, considering that my car is stock to the core, AND she's an automatic.

Oh....and this one time, in band camp.... well, this one time I was speeding down I-77 with a white 944 (turbo) on my tail, we were weaving through traffic..... it was tons of fun, till he decided to take an exit.(what a party pooper).
Old 08-01-2004, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #15 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to bryanthompson Send a message via AIM to bryanthompson Send a message via Yahoo to bryanthompson
Cone filters have been discussed hundreds of time on the 944 board alone. nobody agrees and everyone has the same arguments every time.

more info on K&N FILTERS (bad news)
Very good article on DYNO TESTING
Cold air intake
Installation of a Cone Air Filter
Performance Add-Ons That Don't Work

My favorite quote is from the last link from CJFusco:
Quote:
"Changing to a cone filter or putting in a K&N filter - Will make the engine breathe a little better - A bit more power, but I have serious doubts about the claims of up to 15HP just by changing an air filter. 3 - 10HP is more realistic, with numbers coming in on the lower end of the scale "

A K&N filter WILL give you a power increase - just remember that you are replacing a DIRTY and USED filter with a brand-spanking new K&N filter. Replacing any worn-out part will increase performance; for example, I replaced my ratty old plug wires with some high-quality Jacobs blues, and the difference was actually noticable.
Old 08-01-2004, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #16 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
yeah also notice that i run a K&N filter, and it turns out that my Jacobs wires had a very short life span. Maybe I should practice what i preach?
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 08-01-2004, 08:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #17 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Lexluther
Cold air intake

How about plumming a cold air "radiator" in front of your radiator? an intercooler... basically take you air in behind the bumper, run it through the intercooler and into the intake... that should add some performance shouldnt it?
1964 Porsche 356c..(roller)
1988 Porsche 924S (PARTS CAR)
Old 01-01-2008, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #18 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Makenzie71 Send a message via Yahoo to Makenzie71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexluther View Post
How about plumming a cold air "radiator" in front of your radiator? an intercooler... basically take you air in behind the bumper, run it through the intercooler and into the intake... that should add some performance shouldnt it?
Nothing you would be able to see. The air temps would drop just a little, but it'll add a tremendous amount of drag to the intake flow...any gain would be countered by that alone.

Best bet for N/A is ambient air.

the "baby" that comes first...
Old 01-01-2008, 03:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #19 (permalink)

Garage
Folks - street racing is illegal. Since it is illegal, and posting illegal stuff on Pelican is a no-no...

THREAD CLOSED.

-Z-man.

Visit my homepage!
<><
Old 01-01-2008, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #20 (permalink)
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: