Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to gearhead290
Arrow 951 intercooler info

Alright, here's the deal. I'm thinking about supercharging my mustang. I need a cheap set-up (I don't want to put a bunch of cash in it) that will work well. I've heard good things about the stock 951 intercooler, but I would like to know more. I'm looking for ~8 psi on the initial set-up (it's an M90 supercharger, won't boost a whole lot on a 302), and I will hopefully upgrade the supercharger someday to run ~15psi.

My questions are, 1)how much boost can the 951 intercooler hold before it starts to heat soak? 2)What are the dimensions of the 951 intercooler? and 3)Do you think using that intercooler is a bad idea for this kind of application?

I know this is more along the lines of something for the 951 forum, but I hardly read in there so I'm posting it here.
Old 07-31-2004, 08:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The 951 intercoler typically takes 15 psi of boost without problems. As to heat soak, it depends on where you mount the intercooler and what kind of airflow you are getting through the cooler.

Using an intercooler is never bad for a turbo or supercharging application, since the process of compressing the air heats it up, and hot air tends to cause detonation, not a good thing for any engine.

As I recall, the intercooler is about 24x8x8, with a couple of attaching points for the hoses that extend beyond that dimension.

OH, btw, we have a couple in stock.

gb
We buy 944s and sell 944 parts (845-379-1944)
We rebuild torque tubes and instrument clusters for 944/968/928
Old 08-01-2004, 04:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to gearhead290
How much could you get me one for? I've found some good deals on 1g eclipse intercoolers (would be fine running 8 psi, but wouldn't hold 15 very well). We plan on moving the radiator over and cutting a hole behind the grille for it and then putting black chicken wire where the wall used to be.
Old 08-01-2004, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I sold mine for $150.

Old 08-01-2004, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: