Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Oil Pressure

Ever since I got my oil changed about 2 months ago since buying the car it hasnt run the same. This sound wierd to you at all. I also noticed before the oil change it would idle with the oil pressure gauge reading at the 3 level. Since the oil changed its been hovering between the 1 and 2 but checking the oil its fine. I also noticed the morning starts are a lot rougher. I also changed to a 20w 50 synthetic blend a combo of synthetic and regular oil. Heres another crazy one if I break hard the car sometimes acts as if its gonna shut down...kinda shutters a but and the red "!" lites up. WTF is that all about.

Traded - 86 944 Turbo Guards Red. RIP - 85.5 944 Guards Red
Old 08-02-2004, 12:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I would start by changine your oil and going back to the oil you were using before

Also use a factory oil filter (or Mahle)

Then take it from there

Seen a few oil change places screw up cars.

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 08-03-2004, 06:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Makenzie71 Send a message via Yahoo to Makenzie71
110k and you start using synth? Do you know anything about synth oils? That's looking for trouble.

the "baby" that comes first...
Old 08-03-2004, 06:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Im having a similar problem..
Old 08-03-2004, 06:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Worse case scenario...The synthetic clogged up your oil pick tube or screen...This happened to me...If changing the oil again does not do the trick, you may want to take the oil pan off and check it out....That is what did it for me...
MSD Ingnition System
Zimmerman XDrilled Frt/Rear
BB Headers & Cat Back Exhaust
Mass Flow Air w/ Ingen Technology
Nology Pro Fire Wires & Coil
Millie Cup Wheels and Kuma's
Old 08-03-2004, 06:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

How can synth clog up the pick up screen? If anything, the synth broke loose all the carbon and debris in the systen and THAT clogged your line...

Old 08-03-2004, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
It would be more due to humidity not neccessarily the actual oil...
MSD Ingnition System
Old 08-03-2004, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to gearhead290
You're running WAY too thick of an oil for a street car. Running that thick of an oil is really hard on your bearings, change it soon. btw-I run a 5W-30 in the winter and a 10W-40 in the summer, but my car sees a lot of track time in the summer. And yes, running that thick of an oil will cause all those problems.

AllPorsche-I wouldn't think that senthetic oil would cause your oil pick up tube or screen to plug up. And what would be more due to humidity? Please use a noun before you use a pronoun.
Old 08-03-2004, 07:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
entertaining the idea

Garage
I thought 20W50 was the recommended oil...

a well set-up 1983 Guards Red 944
Old 08-03-2004, 08:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Gearhead...perhaps we can get together and you can help me with my grammar...I replied based off of experience...but hey, whatever dude...
MSD Ingnition System
Old 08-03-2004, 08:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Out here in AZ, 20-50 is de regour for the Summer unless you like to stare at the "low oil pressure" light while idling with a warmed up ingine.

I go back to 10-40 from Nov to May
Old 08-03-2004, 08:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

gearhead...I've put hundreds of thousands of miles on many cars using only Castrol GT20-50 in the summer and 10-40 in the winter. I've never had a problem.

Old 08-03-2004, 08:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to bryanthompson Send a message via AIM to bryanthompson Send a message via Yahoo to bryanthompson
I think i tracked down my problem, which is like what you described, to a vacuum leak.

I'm not sure how the whole thing works out, but this is what was happening... The vacuum valve on my brake booster was cracked. After I had been driving around for awhile and would come to a stop, my revs would drop to like 500 to 700 rpms, and my oil pressure took a dive to like 1 bar (which may or may not be related). At the same time, my brake pedal would get really stiff.

I wasn't aware of the connection between the stiff brake pedal and the vacuum leak until i learned how the brake booster worked, and that that's the part that was damaged.

I have a new valve on the way, but pelican doesn't keep them in stock, so i'm waiting.

I really hope this turns out to be my fix. If not, it's been suggested that I check my o2 sensor.
Old 08-03-2004, 08:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to gearhead290
UconnTim-I don't know what the recommended oil is (I don't have an owners manual), I just know my car won't even start with 10W40 when it's 30 degrees outside. And I know she has a harder time doing it with 10W40 opposed to the 5-30.

Allporsche-I asked you to use a pronoun because I didn't know what you were trying to say by saying it was the humidity.

Mak-I've been told that running that thick of an oil will shorten the life of the bearings, how much shorter is unknown.
Old 08-03-2004, 08:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by gearhead290
Mak-I've been told that running that thick of an oil will shorten the life of the bearings, how much shorter is unknown.
My 79 MKI Supra had well over 350k when she finally died...I wonder how long she would have lasted on 10-15......

(she died of a computer problem I can't fix, nothing mechanical)

Old 08-03-2004, 09:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Well I talked to the PO and he said he has used Mobil One 5w 30 so I'm gonna try that...and I noticed that the car shutters when the ac is on and get the "!" lites up cuz thr rpm dips below to about 800rpm then goes back to 900...so why would it dip below the idle rpm of 900 to 800

Traded - 86 944 Turbo Guards Red. RIP - 85.5 944 Guards Red
Old 08-03-2004, 10:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to toolboy62 Send a message via Yahoo to toolboy62
I am using Mobil 1 15W50, I switched to it from Shell Rotella 15W40 because with the Rotella when the engine got good and hot I'd lose maybe 1/2 bar of oil pressure. Now it is above 4 bar at all times except at idle. I am happier that way.

nate
Old 08-04-2004, 03:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
On the subject of oils, has anyone used any of that Valve Lifter cleaner?
Does it actually work?
You can also put Engine Flush in before you do an oil change, s'pposed to clean all the crud out the system?
I use Castol Magantec. Do you guys in the States have any of this stuff?

Misty
Old 08-04-2004, 05:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to toolboy62 Send a message via Yahoo to toolboy62
IMHO if you are using a good HDEO like Rotella or a synthetic like Mobil 1 you shouldn't have to use engine flushes. From what I've heard they can do more harm than good as if a big chunk of dirt breaks loose it can clog an oil passage. That said if you are confident that the inside of your engine is relatively clean but you suspect varnish buildup is causing your lifters to be noisy go ahead and try it, but if you suspect your engine is a sludgemonster inside, I'd probably try a HDEO and a few low mileage oil changes first to try to do the same thing more gently.

nate
Old 08-04-2004, 05:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: