Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question Hi, new porsche owner, a few questions

Hi, I just bought a 1987 porsche 944 (not S or turbo) 5-speed. Bright red, body is in very good shape, paint looks great but there are a few knicks here and there.

I'll upload a picture if I can.

Anyways, I need to replace the rear brake pads. On one side, the outside pad has been totally worn away while the inside pad has about a half inch of meat left. I've done disc brakes before but this thing is strange. I think I've got it figured out:

From what I gather, you have to tap out those two pins that hold the pads on (there doesn't seem to be any other way to do it). I tried tapping out the pins, but they were rusted on, and I hit them so hard with a hammer I bent the end of one. Am I doing this correctly? Are there any replacement pins or something that I can use since I've bent mine? Are there any online articles that show a walkthrough of rear pad replacement?

I'm going to try PB blaster to loosen the rust, but those things wouldn't budge! Thanks in advance!

Old 08-03-2004, 01:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Feelin' Solexy

Really worn on one side while still lots of pad on the other side plus rusty pins means frozen calipers to me. I hope I'm wrong, but I've been down the same road before (complete with mushroomed pin).
Old 08-03-2004, 02:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
the pics of the car look great! now do your tbelt and dont use socks to tension it or god will kill a kitten!

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 08-03-2004, 02:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to fexta
looks great like my 944........
Old 08-03-2004, 03:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Nice looking car. I stalled the engine on my 924 a few times trying to break the front calipers lose after sitting for years in a garage. You are going to need to remove the whole caliper, knock the pins and pads out and then remove the spring guide. Then get some of the rust off that has frozen the caliper into its bracket.
87 944S - Sold
77 924 - Sold
Old 08-03-2004, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Nice pictures!

It does sound like your brake calliper has seized. I've not had the problem on my 944, but my last car (Peugeot 205) was wearing one pad down more than the other because the calliper wasn't moving at all due to some some rubber bits had perished and let water into and grease out of the sliding bits of the calliper. I was able to get a repair kit with all the little rubber boots for my Peugeot - i guess (but not sure) there is a similar thing for the 944s. It then needed some persuasion to free it all up and get the calliper moving again, but once it was it was good as new.

Clarks-garage.com is excellent for repair procedures.

Lowered, adjustable KONI shocks, APE chip, K&N panel filter, Strut tower brace, Blue Fuchs (+ anything else i've not discovered yet!)
http://photos.yahoo.com/shineyblue944

Last edited by a.n.other; 08-04-2004 at 09:16 AM..
Old 08-03-2004, 04:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Hey Great Car...Welcome to the club. I recently replaced the pads all around on my 88na and had some difficulties with one of the rear pins coming out also. It is possible that the rotor is frozen, however, with some liquid wrench and lots of patience I finally got the darn pin out. If this is the case I would recommend replacing the hardware all around...usally it is $45 for the front and about the same for the back. It comes with the following for each caliper (2 new retainer pins, 2 new coter pins, a retainer spring and also the spring at the rear of the caliper) It will make any future work on brakes that much easier as most are stainless steel and made to resist rust....Best of luck with the new ride....
MSD Ingnition System
Zimmerman XDrilled Frt/Rear
BB Headers & Cat Back Exhaust
Mass Flow Air w/ Ingen Technology
Nology Pro Fire Wires & Coil
Millie Cup Wheels and Kuma's
Old 08-03-2004, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Play the Devil's advocate...

Same thing on my Rover, twice. First time the caliper froze followed by the second caliper freezing. Happens in two's to me. Second time the pad was crappy and disintegrated (sp?) They have lifetime warranty and I just got a new set. You can tell sometimes if the pad just fell literally off the base. Rusty, uneven base where pad used to be. The other will just be a slick, smoothe surface grinded waaaay down.
92 Subaru
97 Boxster
Old 08-04-2004, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Welcome to the addiction. For most procedures-

Clarks Garage

If you haven't heard about it, the timing belt is a major issue to be dealt with immediately. If it breaks, the valves get bent in nearly every case. Best to get it done so you have a baseline on when to do it again. Nice car, make sure of the timing and balance shaft belts.
Old 08-04-2004, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Welcome to the insanity of 944 ownership.
Old 08-04-2004, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Wow! Thanks for the responses guys, I got more than I thought! I haven't had time to get to that pin yet.

Just out of curiosity, how much do you think my car is worth? Assuming I get the brakes fixed, of course.

The only things wrong are the large panel that goes above the dash, the one with the air vents, has a large crack in the middle, the driver side seat has a small tear, the electric hatch opener is a little tempermental, sometimes works-sometimes doesn't, but the little motor always spins and you can still open it with a key. It has 97,000 miles.

I got it from a well-off friend for $2,000. I know that is a steal, but based on what I've told you, could any of you guess as to how much I could expect to get out of it if I sold it? (Not going to, but just to make me feel better about my purchase, I'm a little frustrated).

Thanks again!!!

PS: Have any of you ever polished the exhaust tip? I spent about an hour on mine for the pictures, it was almost completely black. I'm assuming it's chrome plated and not stainless steel, because of the tarnish.

Last edited by leakyfaucet; 08-04-2004 at 09:31 PM..
Old 08-04-2004, 09:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
reckon you've got enough on the brakes - as for the value can't say as I'm in the UK however I have polished up my exhaust tip it was really bad. Just took a cheap felt buffing wheel oh the end of a drill and some metal polish to it and it came up real nice very quick. Its quite hard to get the buffing wheel all round the tip (especially without polishing the bumper edge ;-) and impossible with a valance ) unless you want to knock it off (the tip) but would require a touch of weld to hold it back on again unless its an aftermarket one with a screw holding it on.
Old 08-05-2004, 01:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Dash cap. It's a formed piece of plastic that fit's over the dash. About $100. Or you could replace the whole dash for $1,000. Then it will just crack again in a few years -- bad plastics.

As was said above; frozen/rusted calipers. Have to take the unit off to get a got shot at the pins and clean the sliding part of the calipers up so it floats. You don't have to take off the hydraulic line, just get it away from the trailing arms.

Also don't ignore replacing the timing belt. IF/WHEN it breaks you will have a $1,500 job to fix the valves. The belt is less than $30. If you do break a T-belt I'll give you $500 for the car.

The 944 is NOT A DRAG RACER! Don't even think of going against the Ricers out there. At least in a striaght line!
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 08-05-2004, 07:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by SoCal Driver
Dash cap. It's a formed piece of plastic that fit's over the dash. About $100. Or you could replace the whole dash for $1,000. Then it will just crack again in a few years -- bad plastics.
So the cracking is a common problem? The car actually came with some POS thing that fits over the dash, don't remember the manufacturer, but it didn't seem to be molded right.

I guess you're supposed to glue it down or something, but the lip around it didn't quite fit.
Old 08-05-2004, 08:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
The dash cracking is a very common problem for almost everyone who takes there car out in the sun for more than 20 minutes or so. An even bigger POS solution (in my opinion) is a carpeted dash, which make the plastic covers look pretty neat!!

Lowered, adjustable KONI shocks, APE chip, K&N panel filter, Strut tower brace, Blue Fuchs (+ anything else i've not discovered yet!)
http://photos.yahoo.com/shineyblue944
Old 08-05-2004, 09:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: