Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

engine idle at 1500-2000rpm

Hi,

after selling off my '86 944 I'm feeling very lost.....

Finally found a '87 944 Turbo for sale (Turbos are very rare around these parts of the world...). Condition wasn't that great but hey they don't come around very often.

Got some questions (trying to assess how much it would be to get the Turbo back in shape)

1. The biggest problem was the idling - it idles between 1500-2000 rpm. The throttle cable isn't taut so it isn't a simple fix. Is the idle adjustable ?? As far as I know, it is a UK specs (ROW) car, so I don't think it's got an O2 sensor as well. Any ideas on what could cause this high engine idle ?

2. Anyone know how much a good used windscreen would cost ? Anyone done airfreight on one ??!! The windscreen has a crack about 15" long ! This is the windscreen with the antenna built in.

3. I know that the Turbo is supposed to have an electric pump to supply either oil or cooling water to the Turbo for about 30 sec after the engine is switched off. On this car, I can hear some whining noises coming from the AFM side of the engine but only for about 5 secs - is this wrong ??

4. Passenger electrical seat (fully electrical), the front and back adjustment jammed - motor runs but seat does not move. Is this a common problem ? Is it usually expensive to fix ? Any ideas ?

5. Clutch - is the clutch supposed to be heavier than on a 944 non-turbo ?

Other things I found - the brakes need some work, the suspension is very soft (softer than my 944), the interior missing alot of switches, sunroof silicon glue shut. But except the idle, it seems to run fine.

shlim
ex '86 944
currently '92 325i
Old 08-04-2004, 07:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Oops, I'm so used to posting in the 924/944/968 forum - feels like home. I found the answers to the idle problem on the 944Turbo forum !

shlim
Old 08-04-2004, 07:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Hi, there is an adjustment screw on the throttle body. Start the car and turn it one way or the other and you'll know if your going in the right direction to lower it.
Old 08-05-2004, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
1) glad you got the idle problem figured out.

2) i've had my windscreen replaced twice with brand new ones. first one cost around $800 and second time it was around $600. shop around.

3) the pump should stay on for at least 30 seconds after regular driving. sometimes on short trips where the engine doesn't warm up to regular operating temperatures, it won't come on. i've never seen one that shut off after only 5 seconds though. this is definitely something you'll want to check out.

4) not sure on the seat issue, never happened to me.

5) clutch is heavier, but there is an assist spring that is supposed to help you push the clutch in. it's possible this spring has broken (mine currently is broken).

you should post in the turbo forum.
Old 08-05-2004, 07:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: