Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Unhappy 924S nasty mechanical noises

HI,
New to this forum but looks like there are a lot of knowledgable people out there so thought I'd post my problem.

We have a 924S (1988 registration), bought approx 4 months ago, car is very tidy but has suffered from lack of previous use and a few problems are appearing.

To date I have replaced the flywheel sensors (cured a non start fault), had the timing and balancer belts replaced along with the water pump and fixed a non opening sunroof by replacing the small micro switch in the roof.

Today a nasty mechanical sound has appeared, happens under acceleration and sounded like a bolt rattling around in the engine!, nursed the car home and in neutral revved the engine, no sound

Got the better half to rev the car whilst I stuck my head under the bonnet, could make out a clanking sound, albeit intermittent, worked round to the back of the car, sound would appear to be coming from transaxle, now is the sound a lot less apparent because car is in neutral and not turning the gearbox internals? Prior to this happening I had noticed a very bad vibration coming through the gear lever under acceleration, could this be linked?

Any advice or suggestions greatfully accepted.
Old 08-05-2004, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to fast924S
Put the back end up on jackstands, Put the car in gear and rev the engine. Try grabing the shifter linkage with your hand from, its right on top of the tranny, Sometimes they become loose and rattle,, Also check you tranny mounts. You might also want to drain the tranny fluid and see if there are any big chunks in it. I take it that the sound is comming from the back? Also did you have any problems shifting?? What where you doing right before you heard the noise the first time?? Do you have any power lose?
Old 08-05-2004, 02:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Ditto on checking the shifter linkage, but I've also seen similar symptoms caused by the exhaust. I doubt that it is internal to the transmission because you'd hear it most of the time.
Old 08-05-2004, 03:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

thanks for the two replies,

Noise started after pulling away from traffic lights, I wasn't 'drag racing' simply accelerating and changed into 2nd at around 4500 RPM, accelerated again and noise started. This noise is very hard to describe but imagine placing a number of bolts in the bell housing and the flywheel makes intermittent contact.

I have checked the exhaust out and that is very sound, all mountings look good.

I will try jacking up the rear of the car later this weekend
Old 08-06-2004, 12:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Yes, I know you've replaced it... but...

... it could also be water pump. When the bearings in the pump start to go, you can get a rattling sound. (Ask me how I know).

-MAS
Old 08-06-2004, 08:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Update:

Have checked the noise location again...definitely not the water pump which is a shame because that is under gaurantee..

Noise is there when accelerating and cruising at high speed but not present at low speed

I have an option on a 944 (1986 model) very tatty but good mechanically...would the transaxle and torque tube fit? I would presume so as the 924S has the same running gear but were there differences in model years?
Old 08-10-2004, 02:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Yes, they would both fit.

Have you been able to isolate the noise further?

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 08-10-2004, 03:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply, that's good to know

As far as isolating the location of the noise, this is proving difficult, no luck with the car on axle stands, drove the car again today, started very gently and slowly started to press on harder....noise happened once when changing up from 3rd to 4th at 60MPH....didn't happen again and I must have driven a good 50 miles. This is very strange as the noise sounded pretty terminal the other day...i'll keep the board posted should I have any news
Old 08-10-2004, 09:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Update:
Car has not made noise since last update, so we are now once again enjoyong porsche ownership....until the next little problem should arise. Tend to forget this car is 16 years old and just needs a little TLC occasionally!
Old 08-20-2004, 02:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: