Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to Makenzie71 Send a message via Yahoo to Makenzie71
Anyone like big lights and grasshoppers?

I've gone through my "cheap muffler" and "lots of neons" and "cut coils" and "ghetto rattle-can paint" and "whatever else you can think of" stages....grew out of most of them. One semi-pointless non-performance enhancing thing, however, has stuck with me. Lights. I like lights. Big ones. Bright ones. I want, when I should turn my brights on, that the area immediately in front of me be declared a national disaster zone. I want to peel the flesh from little squirrels and be capable of accidently signalling Mars to attack us. I want bright lights.

So here's what I'm doing....

(we have lots of grasshoppers this time of year...the lower valence was actually spotless prior to leaving my house for work (10 miles))

the "baby" that comes first...
Old 08-05-2004, 04:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

just to point out...

One of the previous owners of this car apparently was VERY horny because he had to have gone around banging everything in sight. The car has so much bondo on it I could make a full-size replica with some left over. The bumer is shot, so I'm cutting it to fit around the lights.

I have another one coming anyways, that doesn't have holes and bondo all over it...

Old 08-05-2004, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
i remember someone had a pic of a 924 with big rally style lites attatched to the top of the front bumper... it reminded me of a bug...

and are you living in some random parking lot?! j/k

i want my headlights to be 1000 watt laser beams of death!

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 08-05-2004, 05:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

no...I'm at work...I get to do this **** at work...that's just great!

They won't be mounted on top of...that'd look funny. These will be mounted flush with the bumper. There's a big gap on either side, I'm either going to throw a fog/turn signal combo in there (the pencil beams only come on with my brights) or build a large duct to my radiator.

Old 08-05-2004, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to fast924S
Makenzie, It looks like your using the bumper mounts to hold your lights, How are you gonna bolt on the bumper? Also dont you think that you will need to cut alot from the front bumper to get those lights to fit. Why not just make a custom Fiberglass front Bumper/valance/spoiler combo for it. Also what happened to your hood badge? Is that a amp wiring kit I see on the ground??? Looks like we could hold a DE in the lot your in.
Old 08-05-2004, 05:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I'm using the stock struts to hold them for the time being....there's actually no other place at all to do it. The bumper still bolts up....what's left of it. I will be making a fiberglass valence later on, but other projects are taking prioraty at the moment.

Nope...not a amp wiring kit. I don't use commercial wiring kits, they're usually too weak. I build my own harnesses and stuff. It's just random pieces of trash...

I like how I have a hammer out there....lol....I don't rememeber using a hammer....

Old 08-05-2004, 06:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I hope you had already read about IceShark's kit, and rejected it in favor of this. If not, do a search. Looks cool so far...I wanna see what you do with the valance.
Old 08-05-2004, 06:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

The Iceshark kit seems to just be a HID kit?

Anyways...got her wired and loomed up. Wired completely independantly. They come on with the brights only.

Now, my bumper is puzzling me. All I've got to mount is the center section between the lights. I stripped the paint (and a LOT of bondo) off of her and primed her black. I bought some paint to spray her with but it's mixed a little bit too red. So, should I put the black bumper on as is or paint it the non-matching red-ish marron....?

Old 08-05-2004, 08:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Just thinking out loud

Are you in the pan handle, say near Amarillo? I have thought about fabricating a full steel bumper with guards, lights, etc... that I can bolt on my car when it's time to truck it to the deer lease.
Old 08-06-2004, 07:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

good guess, matt...but further North. Gruver, TX. Home of NO trees, lots of wind, and pretty sunsets....

Old 08-06-2004, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by mattdavis11
Are you in the pan handle, say near Amarillo? I have thought about fabricating a full steel bumper with guards, lights, etc... that I can bolt on my car when it's time to truck it to the deer lease.
I see you're in Austin. Check out JKCUSTOMS.COM. They are in\near Austin. A good buddy of mine had a custom bumper built for his G-Wagen. They have a couple of pictures of a 944 they were working on there on the website. My buddy was really happy with the work they did. He is going back soon to have a front bumper built.
Old 08-06-2004, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Just thinking out loud

Nice sunset pic! Man you are up there! Thanks for the reference daxdog, I know exactly who you are refering to. I have the tendancy to design and build my own stuff, to get it exactly how I like it, and this project would have to go incognito. I would only put it on the car for those trips to and fro. Stiffer coil springs are a must at this point if I do so. I'm wanting the solidity of steel, but looking for the weight of aluminun, and Ti is way too expensive for my blood. Yep, I'm a redneck for doing this, but I bet it'll be original!
Old 08-06-2004, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Thanks....I have a million of those pics...

Oh yeah....the hood emblem was taken off. The header panel needs to be removed and de-dented. The emblem is also in very sad shape.

Old 08-06-2004, 09:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Just thinking out loud

Mak, throw your year model in the signature line. It will better help us identify what you might be looking for in the future. Example of such.... nose panels are spot welded on 83's and not on newer cars. (not sure on the 84, 85.0 for the earlies but you get the idea) It helps in the long run.
Old 08-06-2004, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

couple pics...

Old 08-09-2004, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
yup... it looks like a grasshopper

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 08-09-2004, 07:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

I sprayed the grasshopper slop off the front end today. There at least a good 5lbs of them. I've heard that some people in some countries eat grasshoppers...I wish they import some of those fools to the Texas panhandle...

I'm currently working on a valence to cover the front of the car and let the spot lights, 4" driving lights (to replace the foggies), and a 4" round turn signal stay tucked into the bumper. I'll then cover them with Lexan or glass. The center will be a bit more open for air-flow...but there will be expanded steel mesh over the opening to take care of this grasshopper bullsh/t...

Old 08-09-2004, 07:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Maybe you could fab up an extra set of headlight doors and hide your spot lights behind them....

Anybody good with photo-shop? ...
And a whole bunch of German scrap metal shaped like 924's.

Old enough to know better, and stupid enough to do it anyway!
Old 08-09-2004, 08:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

I wish I could do the whole photoshop thing...I could whip up some great pics...but nooooooo...I have to be a no-p/s usin' loser....

I actually like the exposed look...I just don't like them sticking out so far. I want the front bumper to be flush like the 951/S2 bumper.

Old 08-09-2004, 08:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Wolf1
Maybe you could fab up an extra set of headlight doors and hide your spot lights behind them....

Anybody good with photo-shop? ...
Yes, but not that good.

Makenzie, your next mod should be changing the horn from a 'BEEEEP' to a 'chirp chirp chirp chirp'.

"Drive it like you stole it."
Old 08-09-2004, 09:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: