Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to toolboy62 Send a message via Yahoo to toolboy62
Another car noise! starter

Just yesterday my starter started making a noise like the bendix was sticking out for a few seconds after the engine caught (I'm extrapolating from my experience with Studebakers, so humor me if I'm way off base.) Is it easy for a DIYer to just drop the starter and clean the starter nose and reinstall, or is this one of those deals where it's easier to let a shop do it? I haven't been anywhere I could put the car up in the air so I haven't had a chance to crawl under and look.

nate

Note to self: buy house with lift in garage.
Old 08-07-2004, 08:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Yeah, you can pull the starter apart and clean the bendix and shaft up. It is probably clutch dust hanging things up. Don't put any grease on the shaft when you put it back together. Graphite dust lube would be the best so it doesn't let new clutch dust stick to it.

If you have screwed up the bendix gear it will take a few days to order a new one. Our starters spin backasswards than the normal Bosch starter since we don't have a transmission right off the engine/clutch. I think we are the only car ever made that took this reverse spinning starter.

I used to have an '80 931. I replaced the starter and I couldn't start the car except for push starting and pop the clutch. Guess what the problem was? The new starter was spinning the motor backwards! Took awhile to figure that out.

Last edited by IceShark; 08-07-2004 at 11:51 PM..
Old 08-07-2004, 11:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I was not aware of that! Is it on the opposite side of the motor from "normal" or something?

I guess what I was looking for was for an "advanced" DIYer is this a one hour job, three hour, don't bother, etc? I was aware of the grease = bad thing. I usually don't lube them at all, unless I've got some kind of "dry" lube laying around.

nate

PS - looking forward to getting my new lights!
Old 08-08-2004, 01:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

toolboy,
if you saw my post, the "main" problem is getting the 2 sodding bolts off mine felt cold welded, so I've left it for the time being,

either that or I'm a weak girlie boy !

NotJustPorsche
Subscribe: notjustporsche-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
Old 08-08-2004, 02:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to 944freak
I would consider approximately and hour job to remove and reinstall the starter. I had the same problem, the shaft was pretty gunked up with stuff. I didnt know about the greese thing though and I did put greese on my shaft.....guess thats gotta come off again....dangit.
Old 08-08-2004, 03:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Nate, yes, it is due to the starter inserting into the bellhousing from the rear rather than front because we don't have a transmission in the way. So it needs to spin the other way around.

Once you get the starter out you should be able to take it apart and clean up in less than an hour. But as Adrian has discovered you better PB Blaster the two main bolts holding the starter on the night before. They can really be socked on there tight. Or use an impact wrench.

You should see your new headlights in a couple days. They went out on the 6th.
Old 08-08-2004, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I have a cheater pipe and I'm not afraid to use it!

nate

(of course, the last time I said that, I had to torch a busted off 5/8" bolt stub out of a blind hole in a control arm pivot shaft... Hmm...)
Old 08-08-2004, 04:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: