Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Wilk's Chip

I installed FR Wilk's Power Prom 2 on '87 NA yesterday. My car now accelerates more willingly and easily, increasing drivibility. The hole around idle to 3k is gone. I accidentally bumped the rev limiter in first gear not because I meant to push so hard but rather cause the revs built up so much quicker than I was previously used to. When coming out of turns in low-rpm 2nd gear, I can really feel the rear tires search for grip when prev., I could barely get them to chirp. The increased throttle response gives the illusion that my gas pedal has become stiffer. I had to readjust how much throttle I input for maximum smoothness when shifting at low-rpms around town.
The most pleasant surprise from your chip was it solved my overly-rich fuel mixture. My car typically stank of gasoline everytime I throttled over 65%. This is no longer the case with the installation of your chip.
Bravo, Wilk!

I am surprised you have never bothered to dyno your results. Has anyone made any hp claims on Wilk's chip?

944 Turbo 5-spd, Black, 1987-present
70k miles
Old 08-07-2004, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to bigyagi
ever since i installed my dual chip dme, from FRW, i have been extremely happy with the results, and have no hesitation in telling anyone that its a fantastic upgrade, and excellent value. AF JUVAT recently tested this chip, and i thought his write up was very accurate, and concise. you have found, as i did, and many others, that the difference to the cars driveability, is like night and day! on a personal note, i could not care less, what any dyno result proves, or
disproves. its enough for me, to notice that the torque range starts at 2k, and increases all the way to the redline, with no stumbling, or flat spots. and yes, i too hit the rev-limiter once, as the engine spins so freely, and fast, up to max rpm! great is'nt it?
in this day and age, of never ending hype concerning hp, like add a k+n for 15hp, or fit these $400 headers for 30hp, its satisfying to find someone who makes an upgrade, that does exactly what he says it will do.
i always respond to a post about FRW's chip, because of the above, and in my dealings with him, i have found him to be an honest, straight up, type of guy, who also gives really great advice!
well, enjoy your new chip, i know you will never go back to the "dark side"!
regards, bob.
2002 grand am--better halfs ride.
olds 98 royal brougham--gone, but not forgotten.
Old 08-08-2004, 03:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

dj_yen.....i have the exact same car w/same mileage....looking to do Wilks chip too....how was the install, easy, soldiering, time?
Old 08-08-2004, 03:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by paulc
dj_yen.....i have the exact same car w/same mileage....looking to do Wilks chip too....how was the install, easy, soldiering, time?
the installation took me abt 20 mins total and i am by no means mechanically adept. for 85.5 or later cars, the installation is a snap. no soldering involved. (very diff. story for series 1 cars)
all you do is undo the kickplate underneath the passenger side footwell. remove the DME which is held by three screws. open up the DME and swap chips. you also have to add an adapter to your altitude sensor which is in the top right corner of the passenger footwell. that took a minute at most.

quite honestly, it maybe the best 200 bucks you can spend on that car. though it does increase performance, it really just makes it more driveable and hides some of the shortcomings of the stock NA engine.

70k miles
Old 08-08-2004, 05:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

thanks, just needed some assurance....will order one soon.
Old 08-08-2004, 05:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

The chip is just awesome. Does exactly what everyone here says. Night and Day difference.

Took about 45 minutes. I'm sure I could have done it quicker, but I wanted to be as careful as possible.

Check this page out. It should get you through the process.

http://www.tech-session.com/kb/index.php?page=index_v2&id=41&c=4
Old 08-08-2004, 07:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Sorry.. Screwed up the link

Check this page out. It should get you through the process.

Chip Replacement
Old 08-08-2004, 07:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
hey dj_yen, as an afterthought, i should have mentioned that for the 944na, the wide spread of torque, from 2k, up to 7k, is a godsend, compared to standard, which starts at about 3.2 k, and then disappears at 5.5k. that is the main difference i find with the chip. a lot of people complain that their car is slow off the line, and thats because you only have a relatively small amount of torque available to you,and really only in a small narrow-ish band, and thats what really matters, to get you going! for example, my beater olds, 305 v8, has 140 bhp at 3600rpm {wow!!}, but a tree-pulling 245lbs/ft of torque at 1600 rpm!! believe me, it pulls like a freight train, off the line, but runs out of steam quickly, as it was not designed for high speed.
so, maximising your available torque, and spreading it over a wide band makes a lot of sense! thats why you now get a better drive out of corners.
best advice i can give you, you have it installed, drive it, and enjoy it!
dump the dyno sheet, and buy latest copy of excellence-better value/more interesting.
its a pity you do not have the dual chip set-up, as after a while with pp2, if you switch back, you would be astonished at how lethargic your car is!
anyhoo, congrats, and enjoy!
bob.
Old 08-08-2004, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by bigyagi
hey dj_yen, as an afterthought, i should have mentioned that for the 944na, the wide spread of torque, from 2k, up to 7k, is a godsend, compared to standard, which starts at about 3.2 k, and then disappears at 5.5k. that is the main difference i find with the chip. a lot of people complain that their car is slow off the line, and thats because you only have a relatively small amount of torque available to you,and really only in a small narrow-ish band, and thats what really matters, to get you going! for example, my beater olds, 305 v8, has 140 bhp at 3600rpm {wow!!}, but a tree-pulling 245lbs/ft of torque at 1600 rpm!! believe me, it pulls like a freight train, off the line, but runs out of steam quickly, as it was not designed for high speed.
so, maximising your available torque, and spreading it over a wide band makes a lot of sense! thats why you now get a better drive out of corners.
best advice i can give you, you have it installed, drive it, and enjoy it!
dump the dyno sheet, and buy latest copy of excellence-better value/more interesting.
its a pity you do not have the dual chip set-up, as after a while with pp2, if you switch back, you would be astonished at how lethargic your car is!
anyhoo, congrats, and enjoy!
bob.
I think you misinterpreted me. I was only wondering abt the dyno numbers cause if I had created a chip that performed so well, I would be very curious abt what the numbers were. If I had access to a dyno, I would to a quick comparo of stock vs. PowerProm2. I wouldn't because do this cause I required numbers to validate performance. I would do it out of sheer curiousity and fun.
Also, you are preaching to the choir. I knew that Wilk's chip added more low end torque than HP and that's exactly why I wanted the chip. If I was interested in raw HP, I would have never purchased my 944. The are many mods that add HP by sacrificing low-end torque and all of those I avoid. My car is a daily driver and I was looking for increase in driveability, not additional power only when I am in lofty RPM's.
Lastly, I do have a dual setup. All the series 2 chips come that way.
(It's strange how you interpreted my curiousity abt dyno results as criticism on the wonders of Wilk's chip)

70k miles
Old 08-08-2004, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

paulc:

I am probably gonna get flamed for saying this but I don't believe the chip is "night and day" vs. stock mode. I know many ppl on the board swear by this sensation and this is only my opinion but the chip is not THAT drastic.
Again, I think that chip is a BARGAIN for $200 considering how much it improves ones car. THe performance gains are noticeable and very enjoyable but maybe I am only arguing semantics but saying night and day is drastic and misleading, IMHO.
I must repeat, I highly recommend this chip.

70k miles
Old 08-08-2004, 08:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
no, no problem. everyone is entitled to their opinion. if reading dyno charts is your thing, then by all means go for it!
as far as my comments about "night and day", that applies to my car, although others have said the same, about theirs. i cant comment on the state of tune, or condition of your car, and that can make a difference, when comparing alternate items.
i'm not going to get locked into a cerebral debate about this, all i will say, is that i'm very sure that you will continue to run your car in pp2 position. care to prove me wrong?
take it easy, my young friend. its all relative!
Old 08-08-2004, 08:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
hey FRW. i bet you are getting a good laugh yet again! ha ha. i think you should be paying me a royalty ,or something!
regards, bob.
Old 08-08-2004, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
Quote:

in this day and age, of never ending hype concerning hp, like add a k+n for 15hp, or fit these $400 headers for 30hp, its satisfying to find someone who makes an upgrade, that does exactly what he says it will do.
i always respond to a post about FRW's chip, because of the above, and in my dealings with him, i have found him to be an honest, straight up, type of guy, who also gives really great advice!
well, enjoy your new chip, i know you will never go back to the "dark side"!
regards, bob.
and, I might add, the only worthwile cost effective upgrade available for the pre 85/2 cars, let alone for the n/a vehicles
'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.

Last edited by todwic; 08-08-2004 at 09:59 AM..
Old 08-08-2004, 09:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
is a turbo chip in the works at all, or should i just go ahead and get the guru chip for 951 ?
Old 08-08-2004, 09:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Makenzie71 Send a message via Yahoo to Makenzie71
Re: Wilk's Chip

Quote:
Originally posted by dj_yen I am surprised you have never bothered to dyno your results. Has anyone made any hp claims on Wilk's chip? [/B]

As soon as I get Shattered Glass caught up (I'm soooooo backed up with work...anyone wanna welding job?) and get a few hundred put asside I'm buying the chip and going to DFW for a dyno run or two. Results will be posted, probably early to mid fall, if things work out right.

the "baby" that comes first...
Old 08-08-2004, 10:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

FR Wilk is a minor god of 944 fuel maps and engine managment... I expect to see him soon in a Terry Pratchet book.

I have a number of things to say about his chip, all of them good.

In the absense of Dyno numbers the chip does improve the only thing i care about when driving.. Enjoyment! It provides more low down urge, and in my case more induction noise, but that could be my exhaust falling off, i'm just refusing to look.

If you have a pre 85.5 model and you havent soldered/desoldered in a while then it can be quite daunting. It took me a number of hours of soldering and re-soldering to get my DME back into a working state. ( I had never done any soldering before)

Also if you have any kind of regular emissions testing then get the dual switchable chip, so you can flick it back to stock easily, rather than getting upside down in your footwell every 2 years or so. I regret not spending the extra already.

$200, its worth the price just to fix that annoying 944 shudder, which is when the revs dip to 500/600, as you pull up to the lights or to a stop sign, and the whole car shakes.

GET ONE!

"Don't listen to me, I dont know what i'm talking about"
Old 08-09-2004, 07:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
suck my tail pipe

Send a message via AIM to Frank B
Wilk is my hero
Old 08-10-2004, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: