Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

what part is this?

I bought an 83 944 which has damage to the driver side front suspension. The tire rubbed inside the wheel well and also rubbed a hole in a black canister, behind the fender directly behind the wheel. I havenít had a chance to look at it in detail but I cant find anything that looks like it in parts catalogues. The best I can tell the inside looks like a filter and I didnít find any fluid in it. Just trying to find out what this thing I is so I can replace it.
Old 08-08-2004, 12:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

It's a charcoal canister. I'm not exactly sure how it works, but I think it's suppose to minimize the fuel vapors that enter the cabin.
-Koni Yellow Sport Adjustable struts and shocks
-225 lb springs up front

Cleaned grounds = happy 944
WTB: 951 black passenger door/fender
Old 08-08-2004, 01:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Yes, it's the charcoal canister. It's part of the evaporative emissions controls.

The idea is that it collects the fumes evaporating from the fuel in the fuel tank, and, under the proper conditions, is fed into the intake manifold to burn through the cylinders.

gb
We buy 944s and sell 944 parts (845-379-1944)
We rebuild torque tubes and instrument clusters for 944/968/928
Old 08-08-2004, 02:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Get one from a used parts yard.

You can probably source one from automobile atlanta (online) etc.

I would just patch it up with some sort of epoxy. You need it airtight or you will experience vacuum gremlins. Check the top plastic nipples where the lines insert as well, they could be cracked and needing repair.

Good luck.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: