Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Optibelt vs. P9201

This weekend I drove over to Terry's place to retension my belts (the 1500 mile check). I had originally done my belts using the Optibelt tool (a Kriket clone). Btw, many thanks to Terry and his willingness to share his hard won experience!

I know others here have performed similar comparisons and we thought we would do a comparison as well.

My conclusion (after measuring with both tools) is that the Optibelt tool is incapable of the level of precision one can achieve with the Porsche tool.

Now whether such a high level of measurement precision is actually required for proper running of the engine, I don't know.

All I know is that I now agree with what Mr. Juvie said in his posting - I would only really trust the measurement achieved with the P9201.

Can one change their belts and get the tension in the ballpark with the Kriket tool? Sure. But can one consistently achieve a 2.7 +- kind of measurement with it? I don't believe so.
Rear Hatch Pins, Oil Change, Dash Cover Installation, New Rear Seat, New O2 Sensor, New Ignition Switch, New Fuel Pump Relay, Rear Light Assembly Reseal, Instrument Panel Short Circuit, New Speedo Cable, New Timing belts and Starter.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

You're beating a dead horse. Many of us have used Krikit for many years and many miles. My car has over 50 track events on it. I can think of no harder use. And I have never had a problem. Nor do others.

If I were in the car repair business, I'd buy one of them to CMA and for customers who might demand its use even though it is not necessary.
1987 328GTS
2011 528i

Last edited by Lawrence Coppari; 08-09-2004 at 09:35 AM..
Old 08-09-2004, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Others have done the test and have gotten good results. One tester said he got better results with the Krikit than with the Holy Grail of Porschedom. I suspect technique is very important.
1987 328GTS
2011 528i
Old 08-09-2004, 09:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Parrothead member

Ive used the Kriket many times on my car(and others) with no problems whatsoever. As Lawrence C stated above, Im sure technique is the key here.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to bigyagi
i agree with the comments on the optibelt/krikit. once you become familiar with it, you should be able to get repeatability. i have used mine for 3 years so far, and no problems. but as usual, its your engine, so its your choice. only other thing i would add, is what is to say, that you have bought a belt that has a manufacturing fault in it, or has been laying around for ever? wont do you any good having either tool, if that is the case, and the belt lets go b4 you even get to the retension!
2002 grand am--better halfs ride.
olds 98 royal brougham--gone, but not forgotten.
Old 08-09-2004, 12:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: