Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

This noise scares me

As some of you know, I yanked my engine last week to replace motor mounts and clutch. While it was out, I replaced the oil cooler seals, but I didn't feel real comfortable with that process. I just started driving it and noticed 2 things.

1. The header port closest to the firewall lost both bolts (looks like they replaced the studs with screw ins). So, I got a large exhaust leak. I tightened it back down with bolts and will go to an exhaust shop tomorrow for a proper fix.

2. There is this noticable knock or loud peck in the top end (I think). It scares me. I wonder if it has anything to do with the oil cooler seal job.

Here's a link to some video/audio of the sound. It's very noticable at the 42:04 mark in the video.

http://home.insightbb.com/~Noblesville_nitro/944/noise.wmv

Any thoughts?

Last edited by bjenkins; 08-09-2004 at 08:10 PM..
Old 08-09-2004, 06:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Dead link

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 08-09-2004, 08:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Now try the link, please. The cut and paste didn't carry over the entire link.
05 Jeep Laredo careened around town by child #1
06 Mustang rolling around town by child #2, in all it's bass thumping glory
88 928 S4 Black 90 928 S4 Linen Grey Metallic Sold
88 924s Black Sold 85.5 944 NA Grey Sold
Old 08-09-2004, 08:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Seems like the top end is not getting oil. Reconfirm that you have adequate oil pressure - do not drive until you can confirm adequate oil pressure

AFJuvat

Old 08-09-2004, 08:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I had a similar noise to this recently. It got gradually worse and seemed more pronounced before the car warmed up. Initially there was no problem with oil pressure (according to the guage) but this changed. The oil pressure would drop to 0 and bounce back up to 2 after a run (e.g. at lights).
The problem was a split in the oil pickup pipe. Engines which vibrate more than they should are prone to this (especially earlier models) there is a modified oil pickup pipe available and it is a complete PITA to fit!

I don't know how mechanically minded you are, but I took this to my friendly porsche mechanic who charged me 911 (the irony!). For a DIY mechanic it's probably at least 12 hours, on your back, underneath the car.
I do hope it's not this, but if you get the above symptoms starting to occur then I would certainly check it out.
The end result for me was the thing finally just snapped off making the car undriveable.
If you want to PM me re: procedure for this etc. i'd be happy to help in any way i can - this has happened twice to me, the first time i did it myself, the second I took it to a mechanic and happily paid to have it done! (i am lazy though!)
( )'92 Renault Clio 1.4 :

Old 08-10-2004, 02:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

update

Well, looking over clark's garage writeup of the oild cooler seal job, the instructions I used seriously left some things out.

5. Disconnect the wires from the oil pressure sending unit.
6. Using the thin head 24mm open end wrench, remove the oil pressure sending unit.
7. Remove the oil pressure relief valve.

The instructions I used didn't even have me remove the OP sending unit or pressure relief valve. So, maybe this is the root of my problems and I may need to do this job again. Bet it was easier when the engine was out.

I have some questions about this job then:

16. On normally aspirated cars, install the plastic washer (944 107 154 00) between the cooler element and cooler housing and slide the element into the housing.

I have this plastic washer still because I did not find an old one in the housing. So, where exactly should it go?

17. Lay a straight edge across the top of the cooler housing next to the cooler element guide boss and determine the distance between the bottom lip on the guide boss and the straight edge is 0 +/- 0.25 mm. Do NOT include the cooler housing gasket in the measurement. Install shims (944 107 219 00) as necessary to obtain the required measurement. Shim thickness is 0.5 mm. Normally no more than one shim is required.

I don't understand this at all. Where am I measuring and where am I shimming?

Since my engine won't be on its side this time, any tips or tricks to reinstalling everything and getting it to stay in place so it goes back together ala anti-gravity?

Does anyone think this may be my problem? Would botching up oil cooler seal job like this keep my top end from getting oil, but still give good oil pressure readings and still have the car running cool and strong?
Old 08-10-2004, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
Something is definitely up on that top end...... Like AF mentions it sounds like no oil pressure in that end.

What oil pressure did you have??? Guage reading?

If you botched the oil cooler job you can have oil/coolant mixing. Check the appearance of your oil just in case.
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 08-10-2004, 10:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Since I was less than confident and comfortable in the oil cooler seal job, I've been looking for problems associated with it. I checked the coolant for oil and the oil for coolant several times. Both look as they should. Before I yanked the engine, I would get 5 bar OP at startup and high rpm, but it would be between 0 and 1 at idle after warmup.

Now, it's 5 bar at start, high rpm, and steady at 2 bar at idle. That's what's confusing me. Does the OP sender read oil pressure before it enters the oil cooler and could something with the oil cooler prevent the top end from getting enough oil but still lubricate the rest of the engine ok? I'm not running hot and engine is still running strong.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
Did you align the oil pressure relief valve properly....
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 08-10-2004, 11:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Well, since the instructions I used didn't have me remove it or the pressure sender, I therefore didn't have to reinstall them, so I can't attest to their alignment.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Nice belt noises....sounds like the tension is just about right...Too bad about the metal to metal clatter...Hope the thing has not ***** itself. Or as brother Dave Gardner would say.."James Louis...get away from that wheel barrow...you know you don't know nothin' about machinery"
1970 Honda CB350 mint!!!
Old 08-10-2004, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Thanks for the constructive input, Edgar. How's about you find a different thread to try to impress folks in.
Old 08-10-2004, 07:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
suck my tail pipe

Send a message via AIM to Frank B
he didn't impress me at all, speak for yourself sparky.
Old 08-10-2004, 07:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by bjenkins
Well, since the instructions I used didn't have me remove it or the pressure sender, I therefore didn't have to reinstall them, so I can't attest to their alignment.
Remove the pressure relief valve and reinstall it.

It seems as if it were out of alignment

AFJuvat

Old 08-10-2004, 07:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
BJenkins...What year is the 944? The oil cooler housing to block was modified in mid 85 (I think) so that alignment was not as big an issue. There are two diffrent alignment tools out there for aligning the housing (1 for the old style & 1 for the later style housing)...If you have a torque wrench you could remove the cam cover and do a visual inspection, or just to make sure you do not have a bad rod (god forbid) take a long handled screwdriver and put your ear up to it as you move it along from cylinder to cylinder (best access is from driver side of engine)..In any event, good luck with it (we have all been down this road or will be at one time or another)...
MSD Ingnition System
Zimmerman XDrilled Frt/Rear
BB Headers & Cat Back Exhaust
Mass Flow Air w/ Ingen Technology
Nology Pro Fire Wires & Coil
Millie Cup Wheels and Kuma's
Old 08-10-2004, 07:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Bjenkins...I would recommend picking up a Haynes Repair Manual at a local parts store for around $18...They are not great, but the instructions on this job come with great illustrations that I found helpfull when I did mine....Also keep in mind that there are two diffrent oil pressure relife valves as well...a three piece and a one piece...If I am not mistaken both reinstalls are similar...
MSD Ingnition System
Zimmerman XDrilled Frt/Rear
BB Headers & Cat Back Exhaust
Mass Flow Air w/ Ingen Technology
Nology Pro Fire Wires & Coil
Millie Cup Wheels and Kuma's
Old 08-10-2004, 07:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

I have a late model 85. I am picking up another oil cooler reseal kit and alignment tool today and will redo the job.

Hopefully it's just dry up top. I haven't ran the engine much since I reinstalled it, so hopefully there's no permanent damage.

I appreciate all the help and suggestions.
Old 08-11-2004, 05:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Ok folks - if you have constructive advise here, please post, otherwise refrain from posting useless flames.

Thanks,
-Z-man.

Visit my homepage!
<><
Old 08-11-2004, 07:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: