Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

0-60 with wilk's chip?

Has anyone clocked a 0-60 with FR Wilk's chip. I know there can't be that much of a difference, but I was just wondering.
Old 08-10-2004, 06:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
suck my tail pipe

Send a message via AIM to Frank B
umm.. it's not about that, it's an overall performance upgrade.. all around better not just 0-60.. you want quick.. buy a 70 chevelle with a 454.. that's quick..
oh take out the windows and it'll be quicker even..
Frank B
Old 08-10-2004, 06:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I already own the chip, and I think it was a great investment. I was just interested what the difference in the 0-60 was with all that extra torque down low.
Old 08-10-2004, 06:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
suck my tail pipe

why don't you do a timing run and just tell us? you have the chip...sounds like a great idea to me

Frank B
Old 08-10-2004, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
suck my tail pipe

hmmm..
Old 08-10-2004, 06:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

0-60 times are so affected by the condition of your car, the tires you are running, how you shift, and simple environmental factors, therefore comparing times with other peeps on this forum is nearly useless.
i would just time yourself comparing stock mode vs Power Prom mode.
i'm still curious about dyno numbers. (i already got flamed for this. i own and love wilk's chip. not trying to criticize. just curious to see some stats as i do love those!)

944 Turbo 5-spd, Black, 1987-present
70k miles
Old 08-11-2004, 08:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to will944
Instead of giving this guy the "is your car in perfect running condition" or "it's not how fast your car is.....it's how you drive it" and the "if you want speed buy another car" bull***** answers.

He asked a very simple question. One that I don't think deserves some of these answers.

I don't know the answer....but I would be interested to see just how much Wilk's chip helps the acceleration of the early 944. I've heard great things about it.....some numbers to back that up would be even better!
87 951
C3 Stingray
Old 08-11-2004, 09:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
OT, but do you need the dual chip adapter board for the 86 944 chip? That comes out to 325 total...doesnt it. Hmph.
996 GT3 4 Liter - Basalt Black - gone
Old 08-11-2004, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by serge944
OT, but do you need the dual chip adapter board for the 86 944 chip? That comes out to 325 total...doesnt it. Hmph.
only series 1 (pre 85.5)cars need a dual chip adapter board.

944 Turbo 5-spd, Black, 1987-present
70k miles
Old 08-11-2004, 09:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
alright, thanks.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Re: 0-60 with wilk's chip?

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeP944
Has anyone clocked a 0-60 with FR Wilk's chip. I know there can't be that much of a difference, but I was just wondering.
I did 10 runs with and without the PP and get 8/10 to 9/10 of a second faster. I have an 84. Hope this helps.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Wow, thats quite an improvement!
Old 08-11-2004, 01:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to bigyagi
hi FRW. seems this topic is never ending! dj_yen, i was not flaming you, just giving my humble opinion. like, when you buy a new brand of spark-plugs that claim better performance, are you going to dyno the car just to see? thats all! dont get all bent out of shape!!
anyhoo, i guess i would look at the figures, if someone does take the trouble to dyno b4 and after, however, i would be more interested in the torque curve, as that is what the seat of my pants is telling me this chip is all about! it even pulls much better in 5th gear from 2.5k.
i wish i had a g-tech , or something like it, as i cant give an exact time, but i can say for sure, that off the line, and to 60mph, its far better. my top end is improved too, but in this communist state, oops , sorry ontario, you would be better advised keeping to below 80kph!
imho, bhp is always good, but as far as the 944na is concerned, with its little spread of torque, for better performance, at least off the line to 60, then the way this chip improves the available torque, and widens the curve, is {for this owner!} very impressive.
2002 grand am--better halfs ride.
olds 98 royal brougham--gone, but not forgotten.
Old 08-12-2004, 01:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
suck my tail pipe

Everyone wants to be Hella quick just to impress the Stop light peanut gallery. I don't get it, what happened to just owning a nice car and just.. well,...driving it the way it was meant to be driven?.. I'm not that ****** old.... if ya want quick buy a quick car.. doesn't anyone realize that making your car dramatically faster, stresses other components on that car.. brakes, drive train.. steering become compromised.. whatever.. I think Wilk's chip is a solid overall performance upgrade, that actually improves your cars performance from a standpoint that it runs better, accellerates more smoothly.. ( we all just love that dead spot at 3000 rpms..) which to me is a logical performance enhancement without changing the car.
Adding different front ends and nitrous to your 944 is asking for trouble.. it's just like well, pretending to be something your not, except for the fact that when you modify a vehicle, it can either become lethal ( if not done oproperly or safely) or it becomes another non-original P.O.S.
Frank B
Old 08-13-2004, 03:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Here's my recipe for quick vehicle-Buy a motorcylce! Just about any thing decent is quicker than most cars at about a millionth of the price.
These cars are autobahn cruisers and curve straighteners. At that they still excel twenty years later.
I will get a chip, this sounds like the best bang for the buck for 944 performace.

My kids say my hair matches the color of the car! Who's getting old?
Old 08-13-2004, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Frank B - You have had some fun muscle cars. The 69 RS and the SuperBee were two awesome cars. Comparing a 944 off the line to either of those two cars is like comparing a heavywieght boxer to an olympic gymnast.

My kids say my hair matches the color of the car! Who's getting old?
Old 08-13-2004, 02:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Frank B
Everyone wants to be Hella quick just to impress the Stop light peanut gallery. I don't get it, what happened to just owning a nice car and just.. well,...driving it the way it was meant to be driven?.. Frank B
When I started this thread, all that I wanted to know was if anyone clocked a 0-60 with the chip. It seems though some people are just here to start trouble with their smart-ass remarks. I am not trying to make my 944 into something it is not, and by the way, I do own two motorcycles - a 2003 Kaw Mean Streak and a 2002 ZR-7s and yes, they satisfy my need for real speed. I also have a '99 Saab 9-3 turbo that could quite possibly be faster than my 944. I think everyone should take these posts for what they are, with out reading in to them so much.
Old 08-13-2004, 04:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
suck my tail pipe

Hi 338win
Yeah, I've had some beautiful cars. I should've kept the super Bee, but it was so fast I was afraid of it, it had THE worst brakes ever and the car was so overpowered it was ridiculous.
THe Super Bee, I purchased in a pile behind someone's house. I loaded everything onto 2 flat beds and spent 7 months rebuilding the car from basically the frame up and had it repainted Red. I did love that car though, It was scary to look at and loked like a monster just standing still. The Camaro was nice, but it was a Camaro y'know? I broke that in half sliding on ice and I hit a huge tree. My elcamino was nice also, but I blew the engine racing back from AC .. stupid..
Thanks,
Frank B
Old 08-13-2004, 04:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to bigyagi
hi mike p944. yes, you got it in one. everyone knows that the 944 is not a speed demon, but it can be improved, over 70's tuning!
i'll take that anyday over a "muscle" car that goes great in a straight line, but atypically, has lousy brakes, and dont even talk to me about the handling!
nice bikes, btw !
2002 grand am--better halfs ride.
olds 98 royal brougham--gone, but not forgotten.
Old 08-13-2004, 06:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: