Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Front Spindle Nut

Went to repack the front bearings and found that the hex bolt was stripped.

What is the best method to remove the hex bolt, so I can remove the spindle nut? Drill or cut?
Old 08-11-2004, 04:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I assume that the inside of the allen bolt is stripped. If that is the case, you may be able to loosen it by using a small vise grips on the outside of the bolt head while using an allen key on the inside of the bolt head and turning both the allen key and the vise grips at the same time.

If the threads of the allen bolt are stripped, you may be able to rotate the spindle nut with (surprise) a vise grips.

Of course, you don't want to damage the threads of the spindle.

I don't think that I have ever seen this kind of problem on anything I have worked on.

gb
We buy 944s and sell 944 parts (845-379-1944)
We rebuild torque tubes and instrument clusters for 944/968/928
Old 08-11-2004, 07:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Good idea, but like you said you don't want to screw up the threads. I am going to drill the head of the hex off and then try and remove the balance of the bolt. If all else fails I will cut the spindle nut off, they are only $30 at the dealership.
Old 08-11-2004, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Ah, once the head is drilled off, you should not have to remove anything to get the spindle nut off.

gb
Old 08-11-2004, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
Spindle nut? You mean the large castle nut?

VW owners know what a pain these are when they've rusted into place on the steel spindles. best solution when they've stipped or rusted on is to FIRST buy a replacement from a local VW parts store. tell them it's the castle nut for your spindle... should be the same (mine were). Then obtain some carbide or disc cutoff wheels for your dremmel. proceed to cut the castle nut on one side. it's okay if you get into the threads a bit, although you shouldnt have to go that deep. once you have a good-sized groove going through at least 2/3rds the thickness of the nut, get a chisel and hammer, crack it in half and remove. then use your handy dandy wire-brush and clean the threads real good, apply some anti-seize compound, install new castle nut

"Drive it like you stole it."
Old 08-11-2004, 02:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

No, this is not a castellated nut, but rather a large split nut which is secured by a 6mm allen bolt. It allows much finer adjustment of the bearing than a coarse castellated nut.

gb
Old 08-11-2004, 02:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
droh!

"Drive it like you stole it."
Old 08-11-2004, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: