Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to toolboy62 Send a message via Yahoo to toolboy62
got my IceShark kit today

Holy Overkill Batman!

IMHO, and I'm pretty much a DIY kind of guy, it was money well spent. The wiring harness is exactly the way I would have done it, had I enough time and a fully stocked supply of wire, shrink tube, etc. etc. etc.

Unless something doesn't fit (and I have no reason to believe it won't) this ought to be a dramatic improvement.

Anyone want me to take pics of the install? I finally have a decent digicam... should be happening saturday, I hope...

nate
Old 08-11-2004, 04:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to bryanthompson Send a message via AIM to bryanthompson Send a message via Yahoo to bryanthompson
of course take pics!
Old 08-11-2004, 06:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
before low/high
after low/high

thanks.
Old 08-11-2004, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pearldrum
I'm jealous, those kits are awesome
Old 08-11-2004, 10:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Nate, glad you like what you see so far. Certainly take some pics and post them and also send me the files so I can add them to my collection and include in the current text instructions some day.

People do sometimes flinch at the cost of the harness but there is no way someone could make a one-off harness for the price. You can't even get many of the parts in small quantities - I've got to build them in lots of 25 to meet the minimums.

You will see a dramatic improvement in the voltage delivered to the headlights and even in the entire car's electrical system.

nize,

Here is a Rennlist thread that has the before and after lighting pictures taken by MTM. He took the pictures himself, I had nothing to do with them, so they are not some doctored up pictures for marketing scams. The only "problem" is MTM forgot to take the before pictures with the OEM headlights with high beam on. But you can get a good idea of what happens.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=134230&highlight=IceShark
Old 08-12-2004, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

So I installed the harness today... two questions:

1) does anyone have whatever is supposed to go on to the alternator? I don't have it, mine is nekkid. D'oh.

2) When I pulled the airbox, I found that I have a bracket with three studs sticking out of it on the driver's side inner fender, on the front of the wheel well area. Is something supposed to go there?

I didn't do the complete install, the wiring on the driver's side is temporarily zip tied as I haven't mounted the relays as I know I've got missing stuff and don't know what it looks like. Also, since apparently the alternator isn't being cooled properly, I put in some old 55/60W bulbs I had laying around rather than the 90/100s that Dan sends with the kit.

I only had one issue with the install other than the abovementioned stuff, the Transpo regulator had to have a little plastic carefully shaved off its body to fit around the rear bearing of the alternator. Other than that everything is cool and I went from 11.3ish volts to exactly 14 even at the left headlight, light output is noticeably improved even though it isn't dark yet and like I said I used the stock wattage bulbs. Voltage at the headlight is actually .03V HIGHER than at the battery. Dayam. (I also discovered that the PO of my car got ripped off, he told me he had a new alternator installed and the brushes were almost worn out.)

Dan, if you want me to send you the digital pics I took, drop me an email. They're crappy and don't show proper relay mounting 'cause I haven't figured that out yet, but you can have 'em. I can FTP 'em to you or whatever you prefer.

nate
Old 08-14-2004, 02:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Nate,

Go get the alternator cone shield from someone that is parting out a car. There are about 15 944/951 cars being parted out by Rennlist members right now. Someone should have it for a reasonable price. Until you get it go ahead and put in the 90/100 watt bulbs - they will only draw about 6 amps extra in total for the pair so not really a big deal. As a reference both the radiator fans will suck over 20 amps when they kick on high fan speed.

That bracket sticking out of the left forward wheel well in the engine bay is on all the cars I have seen and it is always unused. I don't know what option Porsche was thinking about when they welded it on or maybe it is for something on a Right Hand Drive car. But you are not missing another part.

Re: the voltage regulator. Ah, ha! you got one of the goofball Bosch alternator castings. Out of about 500 alternators you have turned up with #4 or #5. The best explaination we have heard was Bosch screwed up the bearing boss casting on the rear case. They didn't want to toss the castings so they used them and shaved the stock Bosch voltage regulator base just like you had to do. If you look at the old voltage regulator I bet you see the grind marks where they shaved it down.

With those voltage increases and assuming your old halogen bulbs were quality H4s you are going to be getting an increase in just light output of over 350% when you put the 90/100 bulbs in. Plus, you now have the better lenses so the light improvement on the road is going to be pretty impressive.

When you get all your pictures done you can just e-mail them to me at wraydan@msn.com

Have fun tonight when it gets dark.
Old 08-14-2004, 03:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

your inbox is now OWN3D. hope you have cable modem.

nate
Old 08-14-2004, 03:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: