Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Custom User Title

mixing coolants?

I am adding coolant to my system. I got a gallon of that prestone dex-cool stuff. I don't know what is already in there. Any concerns about mixing before I add it?
Old 08-12-2004, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to 944freak
It should say on the label what to do with it. If it doesnt say its already premixed with water then it should be diluted.
Old 08-12-2004, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to toolboy62 Send a message via Yahoo to toolboy62
what color is your current coolant? if it's green dex cool is a big no no without a full flush.

nate
Old 08-12-2004, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
suck my tail pipe

Send a message via AIM to Frank B
Use coolant that will not corrode an alloy block.. other than that, you may just want to make a mental note of what is coolant color and what is.. oh my god my engine is F'd color..
Frank B
Old 08-13-2004, 03:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Nate is right, be VERY careful with DexCool. After seeing all the reported problems and controversy over it I wouldn't use it. Heck, a few years ago GM and Texaco had a presentation at some industry gathering to deny that there was a problem with DexCool. And then there are all these class action lawsuits.

GM and Texaco apparently designed this crap so it would supposedly last 5 years between changing. But in many cases it is corroding the engine and creating big globs of gook all over, even to the point of clogging the radiator. GM says that may have been from letting air in the system and not keeping the tank toped off. SAY WHAT?

Stick with the old standard green, use distilled water not tap water, or switch to one of the brands put out by people like VW, Audi, MercBenz, etc. We have bad enough problems with the cooling system without adding another issue into the equation.
Old 08-13-2004, 05:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Custom User Title

OK- I can exchange the bottle at auto-zone tonight, but all they had besides this was prestone which didn't explicitly say phosphate free. I am using distilled water of course, but can I just use the regular old prestone? And FYI, the coolant that WAS in there was most definately green.
Old 08-13-2004, 07:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Yeah, the regular 'ole Prestone green should work fine - that is the stuff that says safe for all aluminum engines. And no one is suing them for destroyed motors like they are on DexCool. I believe there are some phosphates in it but that is OK for most of North America, especially if you are using distilled water to dilute to your final mix ratio.

The deal with the totally free silicate and phosphate free antifreeze that the Germans use is that their water, if they are filling with tap water, is very hard, much harder than North America's water. There is a chemical reaction caused by the very hard European water which precipitates various components out of the coolant solution which then usually stick to the water passages, especially the thin ones in the radiator.

So it shouldn't be a big issue for you as long as you are using distilled water, just don't go peeing into the coolant tank if you run low on coolant somewhere out of the way.
Old 08-13-2004, 07:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Use the pink stuff after flushing the system of all the green. Been in the Rover for years (aluminum block) and now in the P and Land Cruiser. Great stuff. Worked at a shop for 8 years, never a complaint except for the price -especially when only outlet was a/c Delco. Going 5 years without a flush is stupid anyway. Just like today's cars going 5 - 8k between oil changes and 100k before a tune-up. Treat your car right, do fluid changes at intervals and you'll be fine.
92 Subaru
97 Boxster
Old 08-13-2004, 08:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: