Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Arrow interior detailing left

aLmost finished with my 944... goes into body shop for a full strip/respray... completed engine rebuild and replaced multiple body seals,,,, even have the under engine cover ready to bolt on... new fog lamp lenses & bulbs on order... new decals, emblems and stone guard pieces ready & waiting.. planning on wilks chip upgrade next...

Dash fixed, working on replacing the gear on the odometer...

Leather is okay, no cracks, but will be dyeing it over with black leather dye...

carpet is not worn, but very dirty and water stained,,, tried a carpet shampoo machine and it helped... anyone find any chemical solvents which will get water stains out of the rugs?
Old 08-12-2004, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
entertaining the idea

Garage
I just replaced the carpet this summer. It is not difficult at all.
You may want to consider that after all of the other work you have done....

a well set-up 1983 Guards Red 944
Old 08-12-2004, 08:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

btsave, did you do most of the work yourself or did you have it all done?
Also, do you have an excel or similar spreadsheet of how much you have spent on your car? I'm interested in sort of "restoring" mine but I've been wondering about costs.
-Koni Yellow Sport Adjustable struts and shocks
-225 lb springs up front

Cleaned grounds = happy 944
WTB: 951 black passenger door/fender
Old 08-12-2004, 11:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to bluebullet
was your dash cracked? did you replace it with a new one? im tryin to see how big of a job it is to remove it..
Old 08-12-2004, 11:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
suck my tail pipe

Send a message via AIM to Frank B
Dash replacement is a big job.. windshileld must come out.. gfood luck BB
Hi UconTim.. long time no see..
Old 08-13-2004, 03:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
1, Dash was deeply cracked, put a nice dash top piece on and it looks fine.. Will probably replace the entire dash if I ever need to replace the windshield as the grain is not exact... but only I notice the difference.
2, Did about 1/3 of the work myself overall, here's the breakdown:
Purchase price '83 944 $2000
Shipping from CT to FL $ 500
Repair Dash Top (self) $ 80 (25 minutes)
Miscellaneous parts for interior, engine bay, etc $230
Used cargo cover for hatch area $70
Full engine rebuild, all belts, seals, filters, adjustments, manifold porting, timing, motor mounts, tranny mounts, bushing replacements, sway bar refitting $3000 (inc. labour)
Tune up $300 parts (my labor 3 hours)
New Blaupunkt radio, new speakers, new "hidden" antenna since the '83 had an external & no antenna wire in the windscreen; $300 (2 hrs labor)
Fog Lamp lenses, bulbs, decals, 944 insignia, $150
Prep for paint job, removing exterior antenna, alarm key switch, etc. $ 0 (12 hours)
Professional block sand and paint $2200 (estimate)
Prep and redo Fuchs wheels $ 15 paint (15 hrs labor)
Redyed leather seats $25 dye (3 hrs labor)
Total apprx. = $8830 (I know, for an '83 944? but it looks and drives BETTER than new when done correctly!)
3, Future plans include Wilk's chip, window tinting and (Maybe) new carpet set.
4, BTW Amercian Collectors Insurance, under their classic auto insurance program, covered the 944 for just $44 per year, full coverage, with a 5000 mile annual limitation... worth checking if anyone uses their 944 on an occassional basis, rather than a daily driver!

What type of cost is there for a new carpet set and can it be done by someone with little experience in that area?

Thanks
Old 08-13-2004, 04:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Darn, American Collectors Insurance denied me because I've had my license for only 3 years.
-Koni Yellow Sport Adjustable struts and shocks
-225 lb springs up front

Cleaned grounds = happy 944
WTB: 951 black passenger door/fender
Old 08-13-2004, 04:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
entertaining the idea

Garage
Hey Frank! Glad to see your posting again....

a well set-up 1983 Guards Red 944
Old 08-13-2004, 04:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Deplorable Member

Garage
If you have to worry about the cost, don't bother.

Seriously.

I've got $6K into mine and counting - car is in pieces in the garage and needs roughly $3K worth of mechanical parts more, $1600 worth of new seats (ouch) to be reasonably "done". After that, there's always the paint job (estimates range between $3000 and $7000 for something good) cup wheels (about $3500 for a set of 4), and other minor upgrades (not necessary to run, but sure will be nice) - the ones I'd like to eventually get will be about $5000.

Seriously, if you're on a budget and want to restore something, get a VW beetle or a 1978 Buick - stay away from Porsche.

Black Cars Matter
Old 08-13-2004, 04:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
You can save significantly on the paint job if you do much of the prepiaration on your own.. remove all mirrors, spoilers, block sand the body, etc. The less the painter needs to do, the lower the cost.

IMHO, Restoring a Porsche is really not that much more expensive than doing an MG or Jag... parts are 3 times as expensive and much of the mechanicals are beyond us "shade tree" mechanics... but, if you can reuse & recondition many of the parts, you will save $$$. Since the post '80 Porsche's use galvanized steel, rust is not an issue (except under the battery), so the body work can actually be cheaper than other marques! I have close to 40k in one of my British car restorations... and 20k into a morris mini... so price depends upon the level of restoration, rather than the vehicle.

My 944 will be a "cheap" restoration, it will drive great, look like new... for under $10k. But there will be areas that are not original... in a concourse restoration, the cost comes in finding original equipment and restoring that to concourse condition..
Old 08-13-2004, 05:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
suck my tail pipe

Send a message via AIM to Frank B
Good work on the restore..
Maybe that show "overhaulin will come steal my car.. and I can act all concerned about it while they do a monumental job restoring my pile.
Old 08-13-2004, 06:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: