Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Resealing front of engine ... or trying

I'm doing the belts, rollers, and seals, but the guys who sold me the seals didn't put together a kit. They sold me individual pieces. Now I don't think I've got all I need. I think I'm all set for the cam and balance shafts, but I don't have anything for the front end of the crankshaft. Is this the oil pump seal? What else do I need for that area? Any spacers or O-rings? It's not leaking, but I'd like to do it as long as I'm in there, especially if that's standard procedure. I think everything's original.
Old 08-14-2004, 09:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Mein Gott!

Garage
Call the guys at Paragon Products in TX and ask for a friendly guy named Jason. Tell him exactly what your post just said and he'll take all the time you need to look things up for you. I can't stress the balance shaft seals enough when doing a belt job - but it looks like you've got that covered. Also, when was the last time you had the chain tensioner/pad changed? Now might be a good time.

Also, how is the MGB coming along?
1972 Triumph TR6 - 100% trouble free between breakdowns
2003 BMW 325xi
Old 08-15-2004, 08:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Just did the chain tensioner. It was definitely due.

The "B" is on hold right now, unfortunately. It's only waiting on a major engine rebuild and new seat covers, but those are two pricey jobs. After dumping $2,000 or so on the S (which gets priority since it is, or WAS, running) I just don't have the cash flow to do the stuff on the other.

Enjoy the TR!
Old 08-15-2004, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Krahm
If you don't mind, I'd appreciate it if you'd post details of any interesting steps in you reseal process....I will be doing mine in about a week. I just removed my Head for a valve job on Friday and also need to do belts/rollers/seals/etc....

Also, where'd you get your parts?
Old 08-16-2004, 01:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
i found the diagrams, printed out, from clarks garage VERY helpful in identifying the seals and their positions. also, look for little arrows that show direction of rotation on the bal shaft seals.

dr tom
Old 08-16-2004, 05:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

dangerous:

I've found that the most difficult part has been seeing first-hand how things come apart exactly. I've spent A LOT of time staring at things, looking at drawings, looking back at things, afraid to take a pry bar to something that isn't supposed to come off yet. And it seems like nothing comes off easily.

I never was able to get the front support off on the lower balance shaft to do that o-ring, though. I'd be interested to hear what people have to say about that part of the job. I have a feeling I'm going to put the car back together just to find it leaking there.

Oh, and buy a complete seal kit. That way you'll have a hint about what needs to be changed out and what can be left alone. And you won't have to wait around for parts with the car in pieces.
Old 08-16-2004, 08:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
most of my dealings with the lower bal shaft were done from underneath the car. this position also proved to be my savior when i first installed the belt 1 tooth off. it just happens if you install the belt the way i did, not keeping it tense enuf when putting it around all the pulley gizmos. it started, but had a good vibration.

i re checked the bal shafts and was off 1 tooth between the crankshaft and the lower bal shaft. it says"do not use a prying tool to put the belt on" LOL!! IF I HAD NOT USED (GENTLY) A PRYING TOOL, I WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN READY FOR MY DENVER MAIDEN VOYAGE!!

its good that you are staring at all the diagrams and parts, as, as i always say, "chance favors the prepared mind" my mechanic friends were always saying "just slap it together, but they were not helpful at all on the project, since they never worked on a car like this before. you are the one responsible for the way this project turns out, so take your time. my friends were all surprised that i was willing to immediATELY take the car to denver at hi speed after such an undertaking, but when you do it right, you know it.

i used the haynes mannual, and the printouts from clarks when i did mine. i keep all that in a large ziploc in the car for future reference.

i really like driving the car.

did you know that pringles potato chips were invented at Iowa State University?
Old 08-16-2004, 09:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Krahm,
Did you remove the one bolt from the rear? Three up front, one in the back connecting to the balance shaft corver.
87 944S - Sold
77 924 - Sold
Old 08-16-2004, 04:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
I just finished doing a water pump, belts, rollers and tensioners. I found Clark's Garage an invaluable resource. I probably wouldn't have tackled the job without all the information there.

Previous: Black '87 944S - sold after 4 years
Old 08-16-2004, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

rb101:

4th bolt?

4TH BOLT?!

Oh, for.... Yeah, that would explain it. Thanks.

You know, I even looked on the backside, too.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: