Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MikeCT
Cooling Fans

My cooling fans keep running long after the engine is cool but it is at random. Tonight they were running so I went out and started the car to see if the battery was ok and it was but after I shut the car off the cooling fans stopped. I found this post Fans wont quit! but it seems the problem was constant. Should I just start with changing the swtich?

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull. - W. C. Fields
Old 08-15-2004, 06:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
check thermoswitch and fan relay switch. I seem to recall having trouble with those two.
Old 08-16-2004, 12:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Yes, i think your switch is going bad - for quite a few days before mine went totally bad and drained the battery i could hear a clicking under the dashboard which i now realise to be the fan relay switching on and off due to the switch telling it to do stupid things!

The easiest test for the switch is to pull one of the wires off it (you need the headlights up to be able to reach it) and if the fans stop, the switch is bad.

clarks-garage.com has a good diagnostic bit to tell you what's up.

Lowered, adjustable KONI shocks, APE chip, K&N panel filter, Strut tower brace, Blue Fuchs (+ anything else i've not discovered yet!)
http://photos.yahoo.com/shineyblue944
Old 08-16-2004, 09:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

if you do change the fan relay as well, be aware that the factory documentation is wrong on the early cars. If you call up most parts places and ask for a "cooling fan relay" they will send you the A/C relay and vice-versa. The part numbers are backwards in the factory parts lists. The best bet is to pull the relay and read the part number off the relay.

cooling fan relay

read the 5th post down from the top for the explanation of how to get the right relay.

'92 968
'01 VW Jetta TDi
Old 08-16-2004, 10:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: