Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

headlight problems

My headlight will go up and down when they feel like it, sometimes I'll turn the knob and they will work but after a minute I'll try to make them go down and they won't do anything, then I wait a few more minutes and then I try again flipping the switch and they work. Note I don't mean I'll trurn the knoib and then a few minutes later they go down/up I mean I have to try the knob again for it to work. Anyone offer any advice? thanks.
Old 08-16-2004, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
winter-hater club member

sounds like a ground or the switch to me...

"COOL PRIUS!" - Nobody Ever
Old 08-16-2004, 07:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Bad contact on the headlight lifter relay base or moisture there. Mine often would not lift when it felt like it especially in damp weather. Flipping the switch a few times usually got it going or slamming the hood. Bend the pins in slightly to make better contact.
Old 08-16-2004, 10:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Cebu
Faulty Headlight motor relay...contacts inside relay are not making good connection. A replacement relay (non porsche brand) can be purchased for less than $2.00 US.
94 Impala SS
Old 08-17-2004, 05:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Clean the ground bundles behind each headlight. Reassemble with a little dielectric grease.

88 924S Guards/ Black ~ 10 years as a Daily Driver and STILL SMILING!
87 NA Diamond Blue Metallic ~ Gone
Old 08-17-2004, 06:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to bigyagi
i had this problem recently, and it was traced to a faulty switch. its amazing how many more things can be f$#@ed up by this switch. i honestly thought that my car was posessed! clarks garage has a good faultfinding section on this, and you can check the voltage's through the various wires, as you go through the various settings. this will tell you if your switch, or the relay, is at fault. you can also check the resistance of the relay, and it even tells you how to go about cleaning the contacts/brush's on the motor.
btw, if you have ever had problems with your pwr windows, and then took the switch apart, and saw the gunk on the contacts, believe me, its exactly the same on the headlight switch contacts.
good luck with the electrickery!!
bob.
2002 grand am--better halfs ride.
olds 98 royal brougham--gone, but not forgotten.
Old 08-17-2004, 06:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: