Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
ATF Flush

'87na auto, 80k..

Purchased the car last month, PPI looked good, no major problems, so I'm going thru each system and flushing, replacing fluids, filters, fuses, etc..

On to the transmission.. Mechanic reccommended I do not *flush* the system, just drain and refill (even going so far as to reccomending leaving the old filter in). No maint. records to speak of so unsure of last time this was performed. Fluid smells nasty (how should atf smell?) but not burnt, per se..

Any reccomendations from those of you more knowledgable in these matters?
Old 08-17-2004, 11:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I'm not an expert on auto trannies, but mine is an auto that hadn't been moved in six years and I knew I needed to treat it gently. I drove it for a about 2000 miles and then did a regular transmission service with filter and dino atf. I'm planning to do another service myself after I finish putting the darn thing back together. This time I'll add a quart of synthetic and see how things go. I'd like to get it to totally synthetic at some point. I'll probably have it flushed at that point to get all new fluid in.
My understanding with auto transmissions is that if the service has been neglected, you are likely to dislodge "dirt" that has built up when you service it. My theory is that if you have that much dirt in the system you are already in trouble.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand that gearboxes, differentials and auto transmissions benefit most from synthetic lubrication because of the decrease in operating temperatures?
Good luck. Too bad there wasn't one more gear in the automatics.

My kids say my hair matches the color of the car! Who's getting old?
Old 08-17-2004, 12:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Cebu
I suggest that you stay away from synthetic tranny fluid unless you have a recent rebuild of the Automatic transmission and the transaxle replacing all the seals.. The A/T is more likely to leak into the transaxle if the seals are old with synthetics. Once the fluid is contaminated, the Flat Governor (for shifting intervals/speed) will begin to malfunction causing A/T shifting problems.
94 Impala SS
Old 08-17-2004, 03:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Do you know if that's true of all automatic transmissions? I've got an AODE in my mustang that's been giving me problems lately.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Cebu
Do not know about the effect of synthethic fluid on older regular A/T's. The problem with the 944 A/T is the seals where it is mated to the transaxle.
94 Impala SS
Old 08-18-2004, 11:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: