Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
FBHO & FHRC

77 924 accumulators

I recently resurrected my 77 924 from a long nap. My 16 year old
daughter just got her license and I thought why not. After doing alot of small mechanical repairs and a few larger ones, I started driving this thing again to confirm it's reliability.

After about 250 miles of driving, it started running poorly at anything over 3000 rpm. I put new fuel injectors in it due to finding a poor spray patterns. Well the problem ended up being low fuel pressure due to a trashed fuel pump. When I pulled the fuel pump off I noticed large a large quantity of aluminum flakes in it. I installed a new fuel pump, filter and check valve and the car started up and ran fine.

Now I have a hot start problem from 15 minutes after shut down, and up to 4hrs later.

This older 924 has (2) 20cc accumulators. I removed the bottom screws and fuel came out of both. My shop manual claims that the old 20cc accumulators are no longer available and that if a 40cc single unit is substituted, the whole fuel distributor new to also be replaced with a later style unit. Does anyone know if this is correct? What should I do? I have temporarily negated the problem by rewiring my cold start valve so that when I start the car I can activate the extra injector until the vapor lock clears and then the the car runs fine.

Do I risk damaging anything by running with faulty accumulators?
Or are they solely there to eliminate hot start issues?

Men do not quit playing because they get old.... They get old because they quit playing.
Old 08-18-2004, 06:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I found the 2 20cc accumulators online. Can't remember where though, its been a few years now. here a link to one site, I know I didn't pay $90 each. more like $45 each. http://www.auto-parts-zone.com/porsche-924_001-1977-fuel_delivery-car-parts.html
87 944S - Sold
77 924 - Sold
Old 08-18-2004, 08:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
FBHO & FHRC

Thanks Rick, I just found them at partsbin.com also for about $80 each.

If anyone knows where to find these cheaper, I would love to know.

Do these accumulators serve any purpose other than maintaining residual pressure for hot starting?

My cobbed up cold start injector/switch is proving to work well, the car starts immediately every time (cold weather may be a different story). I think my daughter can be taught to use this switch for hot starts, but if the non-functioning accumulators can damage something else, I guess I will have to blow some more money. (I have spent the last couple of months of my spare time to: re glue rear hatch glass, new head gasket, new fuel injectors, new fuel pump, replaced seats with power leather seats from 951, rebuild master cyl, new rotors and brake pads/shoes, new tires, new lower door skins, minor paint work, new battery, new plugs cap and rotor, new timing belt and tensioner.)

All this for a car that I would be lucky to get two grand for. I know I am an idiot, but my daughter is thrilled and my old "first Porsche " has come back to life.

Men do not quit playing because they get old.... They get old because they quit playing.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

How did you do the hatch work? Has it been succesful?
Old 08-19-2004, 03:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
FBHO & FHRC

I found an article on someone's tech info area (I don't recall which one of these websites). Basically you: remove the trim (PITA), remove the frame from the glass (PITA), remove what is left of the original black sealing compond from the glass and frame (PITA), clean the frame and the glass (I used alum etch and scotchbrite for the frame then window cleaner/razor blade then alcohol on the glass), tape off window leaving a band of bare glass and treat this w/ 3M #08683 Clear primer/cleaner,
coat this area with3M #08684 Black primer, re-install alum frame, lay down bead of black 3M #08609 Window Weld Super Fast Urethane, place glass in position and smooth excess adhesive, put weights on glass and let cure, remove assembly and reinstall trim strips (after repainting trim strips), drink some beer and swear that you will never do this job again as it is a total PITA!

So far so good, no more fumes or water leaks or rattles and it looks
like new! The 3M products were tough to find (local PPG paint store ordered it for me but they had never heard of the primer and cleaner before, but they got it for me. Plan on killing a whole weekend for this job and about $50.00 for the 3M products.

PS the car is still a dog with bad accumulators but it looks awfully nice!

Old 08-19-2004, 03:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I'm guessing the "flakes" you discovered when removing the fuel pump was corrosion from the gas tank. I had a similar problem with my son's 924. It would idle fine but would stall under load or accleration. The corrosion had collected at the bottom of the tank, clogged the tank, fuel filter and also the pump. After draining and cleaning the tank, and replacing the pump, all was well.
Old 08-19-2004, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I actually have a pair I want to get rid of. I bought them for my 78 924 never installed them. I bought them a year ago from someone they have only like 10k on them and they're still green not rusty. If you want them email me. Give me a price your willing to pay.
85.5 944 Sold
78 924 (first car) RIP
Old 08-19-2004, 06:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
FBHO & FHRC

Thanks for the offer Wiz, I PM'ed you.

Mike B, the "flakes" were pieces of aluminum (looked like glitter) presumably from fuel pump housing. The pump was grinding itself to pieces! It actually could still generate a marginally acceptable flow, but it could only muster about 55psi of pressure.

Old 08-20-2004, 03:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
FBHO & FHRC

I PM'ed you again Wiz. Please post the accumulator pictures on this thread as I will be away from this e-mail address for the weekend.

Old 08-20-2004, 11:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Cannot figure out how to insert picture here but pic was emial to you.
85.5 944 Sold
78 924 (first car) RIP
Old 08-20-2004, 05:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: