Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Fiberwerks 944 Nose and Rear Bumper (and some other stuff)

Upon Ghen's request, I am posting a thread about the installation and overall review of the aforementioned nose and rear bumper. I must first say that I am not doing this work myself and is done by a local, trusted garage in my neighborhood. I apologize if my prev. thread suggested otherwise.
Here's their website:
http://fiberwerks.com/Fiberwerks_944.htm
I never really liked the NA nose and since my front bumper was pretty damaged (bad paint fade, hit on right corner, paint chipping on lower spoiler), I opted for the fiberwerks nose (NO additional lip spoiler). I did like the turbo nose but I have never seen the fiberwerks nose on the street and enjoyed being "different". I also puchased the rear bumper cause my rear bumper was pushed in on the right side cause some old lady wasn't looking. (true story)
I purchased it through fiberwerks, the maker and distributor. I have only seen it on 944online.com and they sell it for $485 vs. $459 direct from the manufacturer. Carl (karl?), the owner, was very pleasant and took his time to explain the bumper and his company. It took about a month (they were backlogged) for them to make and ship to me. Also, they just came out with a evo. 2 of the same nose, so my nose is slightly diff. than the pics listed.
Both bumpers must be removed for installation. I realize this is a risk when parallel parking (esp. with fiberglass) but I took it anyway cause they just looked so good! The rear bumper was installed yesterday and the front bumper was installed today.
So far, the build quality has been good. The fiberglass is not thin nor is it robust. The rear bumper iss not been perfectly flush. The corners of my car stick out slightly over the new bumper by 1/4 inch. You can't see it unless you look for it but it is a manufacturing flaw in my opinion. The front spoiler just went on and looks good. Plaster will have to be used to smooth out some the edges of the new nose prior to painting. There are instrustions on the installation but not on the removal of the prev. bumper.
The new front nose sweeps farther into the front wheel wells than the stock nose and that's where I noticed my current problem. My front right wheel is one inch more forward than my left and rubs the new nose. See this thread: Bent Control Arm? plz help!
I will post pics of the finished product and further review that fiberwerks nose. So far I am pleased.

944 Turbo 5-spd, Black, 1987-present
70k miles

Last edited by dj_yen; 08-18-2004 at 10:22 AM..
Old 08-18-2004, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Also, wanted to mention that I spoke of the fiberwerks nose in this recent thread about sufficient cooling of the radiator.
airflow to 944 radiator: Sufficient?

The fiberwerks nose seems to have a very generous opening to the radiator so I will report whether or not there is an actual "increase in performance". (HAHAHAHAH, had to say it!)

70k miles
Old 08-18-2004, 10:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

The Fiberwerks nose fits well, is strong, and lightweight. The hard part is fabricating a 'scoop' between the lower radiator opening and the radiator, and attaching the brake ducting. I covered the light opening with aluminum, and painted it black.

I'm getting ready to remove the nose to work on the tow hook. If I remember, I'll post some pic's of the fabrication behind the nose.

Here's what it looked like at Road Atlanta last month:

Carl @ Fiberwerks has been a great sponsor for the 944Cup here on the Eastcoast, and there are several cars running his stuff. Ian @ 944online.com is another great sponosor for the series.

JM
Old 08-18-2004, 12:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I was also interested in the fiberwerks front and rear spoilers..the only thing that concerned me were the costs..after the exchange rate, shipping, tax and duty, it will come out to over 1000$ canadian..that's unacceptable..

But also, when you buy from fiberwerks..do they paint the bumper for you? or is it given to you in a simple unpainted form?
Old 08-18-2004, 02:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Thanks for the review, very helpful.

Zlatko, I am 99% sure you get it unpainted.

GHEN
Old 08-18-2004, 03:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Deplorable Member

Garage
I can't see paying 600 bucks for something that's going to require me to spend hours modifying to make it "fit right". For far less, I could get a factory one off a junk car and have it treated and sprayed by a body shop, and KNOW it'll bolt right up perfectly.

I like the look of them too, but if it ain't original, it's going to be problems 11 times out of 10.

Black Cars Matter
Old 08-19-2004, 04:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
i really like that bumper/splitter, except for the way that the side intakes come to a point on top by the turn signal. If they were rounded off, a la Boxster, I think it would look perfect.
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 08-19-2004, 07:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
oh, and yen, i want to see pics of your car with the new front.
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 08-19-2004, 07:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I'll definitely post before and after pics when I am done. I'll try to take some of it being worked on.
I just wanted to point out that the nose I got is a new fiberwerks evo II version of the nose everyone has seen.
I did some bad Photoshopping on JRMock's image to show the diff. between the 2 noses. (Hope you don't mind me butchering your photo JRMock)

As you can see, the new nose wraps deeper into the front wheel well but that's what is causing my rubbing problem. I don't think there would have been this problem if I got the earlier version of this nose. I guess it is sort of a blessing in disguise cause I would have never realized something was wrong but then again, I was happier not knowing there was a problem. I know it's not the nose cause the distance from the right front wheel is one inch greater than the left front measuring from the stock rear wheel well to the tire. The car is still being sanded and prepped for painting so have yet to investigate further why this may have happened. (gotta put it it on a lift) Still begging it's a "small" problem.
Has anyone heard of this problem occuring when the alignment is off? I have suggested maybe old, worn bushings but wouldn't that mean the wheel would be pushed back instead of forward?
BTW, I have heard doing the alignment for a '44 is especially difficult. My neighborhood garage is very well trusted and will not take on anything they don't feel confident doing but they do not have any experience with 944's. Should I do the alignment at a garage with more 944 experience?

70k miles

Last edited by dj_yen; 08-19-2004 at 08:14 AM..
Old 08-19-2004, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Porsche-O-Phile
For far less, I could get a factory one off a junk car and have it treated and sprayed by a body shop, and KNOW it'll bolt right up perfectly.
A factory what? Will a turbo nose bolt onto an NA?

GHEN
Old 08-19-2004, 08:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I don't believe so. Some modifcations will have to be made in order to use a Turbo nose. Yes, a used turbo nose will be cheaper than a new Fiberwerks nose ($459, not $600) but I don't think it's fair comparing used to new parts. I don't know the actual price but I am quite positive a new Turbo nose would cost much more (nearly $1000) than any fiberglass nose. The advantages is the better build/durability and the reuse of your old bumper.

70k miles
Old 08-19-2004, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

A PO put the Fiberworks front end on my 944S. Pics can be found at this link.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Gary Carlton
A PO put the Fiberworks front end on my 944S. Pics can be found at this link.
I believe that car is for sale.
Looks real nice!

70k miles
Old 08-19-2004, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by dj_yen
I believe that car is for sale.
Looks real nice!
yes, it is
Old 08-19-2004, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

i also have the fiberwerks front nose and the no longer sold wing only took 4 months to get it but worth the wait. very good product

im still in the works of trying to get it painted. well the whole car that is. and still deciding on if i should order the IFC wider rear quarters and side skirts. ill start preping for paint when the snow starts flying (crossing fingers).

here is some poor pics of what i got so far.

every thing in this pic is losely fitted together. also have the lower lip but havnt gotten around to getting that together

the gaps from the fender to the bumper are from lack of bolts. should be gone when i get bolts in them

this wing is nice and very functional for downforce. to bad he doesnt make it anymore (DAMM is my last name on the plates )

Good luck with your fitment

cant spell forgive my "hukt on Fonix" it workt gud four mi

in the process of buying a car and a half garage with a detached house and fenced in yard
03 Eclipse GS
Old 08-19-2004, 07:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
i am anxious to see what it will look like once you fasten those bolts
Old 08-19-2004, 08:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Ok..i still havent gotten my question answered..

Can the front lip come painted? I really need it to be painted..
Old 08-20-2004, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

I dont think it can come painted Zlatko. mine came in fiberglass and no paint...although you may be able to talk to Carl (fiberwerks owner) about getting it painted, or work out some kind of deal for maybe a little more cash?.... dont know if he does that sort of thing. never asked when i purchased mine. wouldnt hurt to ask

cant spell forgive my "hukt on Fonix" it workt gud four mi

in the process of buying a car and a half garage with a detached house and fenced in yard
03 Eclipse GS
Old 08-20-2004, 06:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Zlatko
Ok..i still havent gotten my question answered..

Can the front lip come painted? I really need it to be painted..
They don't come painted. Truth is I can't think of any aftermarket body kit that does come painted. It's worth asking Carl if he'll paint it but I doubt they will.
Why can't you just get it painted? Some of the edges are rough enough on the nose that it requires some plastering prior to painting if you want it as smooth and flush as possible.
I would suggest purchasing and installing the nose, prior to painting so you get a really good idea about how you want it done.
Shipping to Canada will be very expensive but you should definitely speak to Carl about that. He went over many shipping options with me to find the least inexpensive way to get it to me. I'm sure he'd be willing to do it for you also.
Another thing is compare shipping prices to 944online.com. Though they sell the bumper for 25 bucks more, maybe they are closer to you and can ship it for 25 bucks cheaper.

70k miles
Old 08-20-2004, 08:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: