Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Rear wing care

A simple question, I was wondering if someone as a good suggestion of product to use on the foamy rear wing?

1987 944S , the more I drive it the more I love it.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pearldrum
A product to do what to the wing?
Old 08-18-2004, 05:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
entertaining the idea

Garage
I use Eagle One Wet to polish mine. Works great.

a well set-up 1983 Guards Red 944
Old 08-18-2004, 05:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Mothers - Back to Black..

Lay it on thick and let it soak in. It brings back the flexability of the wing also. It's greasy till it soaks all the way in but works like a champ. It's kind of like really thick armour-all
Current Stable 944 83 Kalahari Beige manual rack, short 5th gear951 86 Guards Red, pristine TurboYou must not anger the Porsche Gods - you MUST leave one small item unrepaired, lest the Stuttgartians smite thine car with bad Ju-Ju-AF Juvat
Old 08-18-2004, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pearldrum
I haven't been able to find the "back to black"... So, I've been using this other stuff that only lasts like 4 days
Old 08-18-2004, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Makenzie71 Send a message via Yahoo to Makenzie71
You should strongly AVOID using back to black and other petroleum "shine" products. They deteriorate the rubberized material and will ultimately lead to severe cracking and/or fading.

The ABSOLUTE BEST product to use on the wing, and any other rubberized or vinyl surface (such as the soft interior surfaces) is Dawn dish soap and a soft brush. On foamed surfaces, like the wing, if you want it to be "darker" use a liquid dye like Rit, or use 400g sand paper and wet sand the surface.

the "baby" that comes first...
Old 08-18-2004, 06:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

son-of-a-gun
Old 08-18-2004, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
i use tire/trim shine on the rear wing, and it hasn't cracked or worn my wing at all

if anything, it makes it nice and smooth, not pourous like some wings I have seen
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 08-18-2004, 08:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Mother's Back To Black
Old 08-19-2004, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

If you want to be a purist Porsche sells some stuff to care for the black vinyl parts of the car. I tried it once it worked well, I've never really tried anything else though so I don't have anything to compare.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Armor All. I've tried some of the others including back to black, I still find Armor All works best, I use it on the dash, tires and seats.

'86 951
www.pelicanparts.com/pmpre/images/db-951/db951_sep_04-002.jpg
The hours your Porsche spends parked, you don't get those back.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Makenzie71
You should strongly AVOID using back to black and other petroleum "shine" products. They deteriorate the rubberized material and will ultimately lead to severe cracking and/or fading.

The ABSOLUTE BEST product to use on the wing, and any other rubberized or vinyl surface (such as the soft interior surfaces) is Dawn dish soap and a soft brush. On foamed surfaces, like the wing, if you want it to be "darker" use a liquid dye like Rit, or use 400g sand paper and wet sand the surface.
I have heard this also.

944 Turbo 5-spd, Black, 1987-present
70k miles
Old 08-19-2004, 10:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by db-951
Armor All. I've tried some of the others including back to black, I still find Armor All works best, I use it on the dash, tires and seats.
from what i've seen, armor all slowly dissolves rubber. have you inspected your rear spoiler lately? if you've been using armor all for a while, look very closely and you should be able to see tiny holes that make the rubber appear almost like a sponge.

armor all is okay for tires because you end up replacing them anyway. armor all might also be okay for the vinyl dash, just don't use it on the rubber spoiler or any other soft rubber areas if you want them to last.

some more reading;
http://au.geocities.com/ozbrick850/silicon4rubber-vinyl.html
Old 08-19-2004, 11:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the link.
All good info.
I've used Armor All, and several simmilar products, on my cars for years. I have never personally noticed any degredation of the rubber, however I would not be surprised if it where so.
But then again I have a high cholesterol diet too.
I imagine exposure to the elements specifically heat and cold and the UV rays of direct sunshine are significantly greater at degrading the rubber.
But it sure looks swell after a couple satisfying hours of detailing!

Cheers to all,

PS Phil, keep it inside in the winter.

'86 951
www.pelicanparts.com/pmpre/images/db-951/db951_sep_04-002.jpg
The hours your Porsche spends parked, you don't get those back.

Last edited by db-951; 08-19-2004 at 11:18 AM..
Old 08-19-2004, 11:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
suck my tail pipe

Send a message via AIM to Frank B
use simple green cleaner and that stuff you get from the dealer for coated compunded rubber materials. that works best.. can't remember the name of that stuff though. Bought some 2 years ago and can't find it now... porsche gremlins are probablly smoking it in my garage while laughing at me and my car.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

What I eared is to use a silicone based lubricant like the one to maintain weather stripping and rubber moulding. There is no UV protection but it does a very good job on the sticking doors.

Philippe.

P.S. db I wasn't planning on using it during winter thanks.

1987 944S , the more I drive it the more I love it.
Old 08-21-2004, 02:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
Mother's Back to Black. Good stuff. Don't be a pansy, it's ok to use on the foam tail, and all parts black. Mirror cases, door handles, the seals and trim on the door, sunroof seal...etc. etc.
'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 08-21-2004, 08:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: