Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

recharging A/C

My A/C doesn't work, and it's probably just out of refrigerant. I've bought conversion kits for 2 other cars in the past and converted the freon myself. However, it's been a while since I've done this and as you know, if you pump freon into the high pressure side of the system, bad things will happen.

The only recharging/evacuating port I can find is inbetween the coolant resevoir and the brake fluid resevoir. Is this the correct port to use?

Thanks!
Old 08-19-2004, 12:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

what year/model car?
Old 08-19-2004, 12:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Oh, sorry!

'87
Old 08-19-2004, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

dunno...never tried on my '87 as the A/C was removed by PO.
On my '84 R12 to 134 was a PITA... The low side adapter is located off the compressor right next to the belt. I had to get a 90 adapter and a shorter belt at NAPA.
The high pressure side is right by the driver's head light on the '84. Not sure if this helps at all or not.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Hmmm... I think they purposely make it hard to work on these cars.

I don't know, the adapter is closer to the driver's side headlight than the passenger's but I wouldn't call it "close". It's probably different than yours. There may be hope still!

Anyone else know for sure?
Old 08-19-2004, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
I don't know, the adapter is closer to the driver's side headlight than the passenger's but I wouldn't call it "close".
That is the high pressure side valve. You can charge liquid freon there by inverting the can only after pulling a vacuum on the system for faster charging. Do not put charge on high pressure side if just adding.

For adding freon, use the low pressure side valve which is located at the compressor inlet and charge gas with freon can in upright position.
2018 Suburban Z71
Old 08-19-2004, 02:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by bazar01
For adding freon, use the low pressure side valve which is located at the compressor inlet and charge gas with freon can in upright position.
I'm really new to porsches, and It's pretty hard to see way down there. Where is the A/C compressor located? I know it will be on the accessory belt, but which one is the compressor?

Thanks!
Old 08-19-2004, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Deplorable Member

Garage
If you're low on freon, you have a leak in the system. Just dumping freon into it will not make the problem better, possibly only worse.

Fix it right or don't bother fixing it. Trust me on this.

Black Cars Matter
Old 08-19-2004, 04:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I'm with Porshe-O-Phile. I went through all the trouble of recharging A/C and it lasted for just over a week. Better fix it right the first time...
Old 08-19-2004, 04:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
i'm currently in the process of fixing my ac. apparantly there's a leak in the pipe between the evaporator and the compressor. $300 part, anyone?

not to mention it's going to be a bitz and a half getting the convoluted pipe out of the engine area, and then installing the new pipe.

anyone have any pointers on removal/installation of that pipe?
Old 08-19-2004, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Deplorable Member

Garage
That one is a PITA; I did it about 2 months ago. On the early cars, the evaporator is relatively easy to access; on the later ones I've heard it is somewhat more difficult. The hardest thing is contorting the hose around all the various engine components that will no doubt be in the way without crimping it or breaking anything. I can't even fathom what a PITA that's going to be on a 951, since there's more stuff to get around (big heavy metal stuff that doesn't move, too).

In wake of doing this job, I suspect those lines are installed at the factory before the engine and associated plumbing goes in (makes sense, since the hoses / lines run tightly against the walls of the engine bay). Replacing them with the engine in the car is very tough, but can be done. Only advice I can offer is to cut away the old hose rather than being surgical about it. It's faster and makes you feel good, since you get to cut something

Black Cars Matter
Old 08-19-2004, 08:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Porsche-O-Phile
If you're low on freon, you have a leak in the system. Just dumping freon into it will not make the problem better, possibly only worse.

Fix it right or don't bother fixing it. Trust me on this.
I'm going to be putting stop leak into it as well. It's worked perfectly for two other cars I've done it to. AC blasts really cold over two years later from having absolutely no freon.

Can anyone tell me where the compressor is located?
Old 08-20-2004, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Deplorable Member

Garage
It's right under the fendibulator.

Black Cars Matter
Old 08-20-2004, 11:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
I'm going to be putting stop leak into it as well. It's worked perfectly for two other cars I've done it to. AC blasts really cold over two years later from having absolutely no freon.
I will be very careful using stop leak. It seals up leaks by oozing out of small holes or loose fittings then hardens up by reacting with outside air. They could lock up filter driers and compressor valves and parts if your system has air and moisture inside due to leaks.
Best way if you are keeping the car is find the leak and fix it. But you have to have the right tools to fix it right.
2018 Suburban Z71
Old 08-20-2004, 02:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Deplorable Member

Garage
Hey, I tried to help him. . . As the saying goes, "a fool and his money are soon parted" and "you get what you pay for" and "spend a little today or a lot tomorrow". The cliches abound. If he doesn't want to follow the advice of those of us that know better, he deserves the consequence.

The one I love is when people just continue to shovel r134a into their systems (especially when they haven't been converted properly). What happens over time is the proportion of refrigerant to oil skyrockets (since the system oil is disappearing out the leak(s) and being replaced by pure refrigerant) and these yokels wonder why their compressors lock up. One of the many ways the cheap get burned.

Black Cars Matter
Old 08-20-2004, 04:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Nize, I sent you a pm. I'm parting out a 88, and all of the lines are still there. There is no oil residue on the line from the compressor to the evaporator, so I'm assuming it didn't leak.

I have tons of spare parts, let me know what you need.
Old 08-20-2004, 05:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

I'm putting in a special blend of oil, refrigerant, and stop leak.
So far it's lasted 2 years in my other cars with absolutely no degrading of cooling power. If it works half that well, I'll be happy. I've got nothing to lose, the A/C doesn't work at all as it is.

I appreciate the advice but I'm just trying make my commutes in this car somewhat tolerable, and really don't want to tear my new car apart trying to find a pinhole leak.
Old 08-21-2004, 12:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
can you share your secret recipe? what brand of stop leak are you using?
Old 08-21-2004, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Not much of a secret, really. I buy premixed cans from "Polar Air". It contains 12oz of R134a and 3oz of oil. And a very small amount of o-ring conditioner and stop leak.

So really, the comment about the compressor locking up due to lack of oil is void. If it somehow doesn't fix the leak, (always has) the oil and refrigerant will leave in proportion to each other, and I'll just add in the same properly proportioned mixture.

No lock ups here!

So could someone PLEASE tell me how to get to the compressor? I assume you have to take of the shield underneath the engine, right? Thanks for all the help, keep it coming!

Last edited by leakyfaucet; 08-22-2004 at 04:05 PM..
Old 08-22-2004, 04:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by leakyfaucet
Not much of a secret, really. I buy premixed cans from "Polar Air". It contains 12oz of R134a and 3oz of oil. And a very small amount of o-ring conditioner and stop leak.
our cars use r12 and not r134a. as i understand it, if you don't convert it to handle the 134a, it will leak out pretty quickly. maybe the stopleak prevents that? hmm.

also, even if you convert to 134a the a/c will not get as cold as it would using r12, supposedly it will only get around 50 to 60 percent as cold.
Old 08-22-2004, 08:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: