Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

997 with better track times

THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO BE A REPLY NOT A NEW THREAD!
I think this is the wrong section too!!!
mods help please

I don't mean to rain on your parade but:

wouldn't putting a higher top speed (and nothing else) on it make it faster than the previous generation?

obviously but I mean doesn't the nurb weigh too much on top speed?
Or do the cars even reach their top speeds?

example:
two cars EXACTLY the same except one has a top speed of 170 mph the other has a top speed of 180 mph.

the one with the higher top speed wins by one full minute on the nurb.
Now realistically is that car any faster than the other?
(in the real world, or on any other track?)

Just some food for thought about it being any faster, (it could handle or brake worse but with a higher top speed still manage a better time even though it's a lesser competitor)

Last edited by emwporsche; 08-20-2004 at 05:53 PM..
Old 08-20-2004, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Two exact cars with with diff. top speeds simply means that the car with higher top speed has a longer top gear (or final drive)
Courses (like superspeedways) will benefit from a longer top gear, but most courses don't have a long enough straightaway to hit your top speed (esp. when you are talking abt top speeds of 170 or 180) therefore a longer top gear will only hurt your lap times cause of the decrease in accelaration. Though I do believe the Nurburgring has 2 really long straighaways where a longer top gear might actually be beneficial but the course is still 13 miles (22 kms) long consisting of MANY slow and medium corners therefore gear ratios set-up for accelaration would still be beneficial.
I really DOUBT that the 997 is getting better lap times simply cause is a has a higher top speed. Also the higher top speed is most likely achieved due to an increase in power and aerodynamic efficiency therefore this increase in "top speed" is affecting all aspects of driving the car. I think the decrease in lap times is a result of small improvements everywhere (pure power, grip, aerodynamics, brakes, etc.) which ultimately also makes for a higher top speed.

Also, I believe the original thread you intended to reply to is this Walter Rohrl laps the 'Ring in a 997S

944 Turbo 5-spd, Black, 1987-present
70k miles

Last edited by dj_yen; 08-20-2004 at 09:03 PM..
Old 08-20-2004, 08:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
least common denominator

Just a comment, in a race I watched recently the Corvette's won the race because they had a higher top speed in the straight. However it was common for the Porsches to pass them in the corners... at an amusing moment they went to the in car cam of one of the Corvette's as he went into a hard turn and you could see a Porsche zip past him with ease.. The Corvette guy proceeded to flip the bird then blast pass him in the straight.
Old 08-21-2004, 07:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: