Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to Jmasters
still can't find flywheel mark

Hi I still have not been able to locate the timing mark on the flywheel through the window on the top of the bellhousing.
I have found a line on the flwheel from the bottom of the car. i know that this is the mark that is supose to be centered somewhere to get TDC, Is it supose to be centered in the hole in front of the starter on the bottom of the bell housing, or the hole on the flywheel dust cover?
if i center that mark will it get my TDC timing good enough? , I have tried many, many, times to find the OT mark on the flywheel, but I am begining to wonder if they ever stamped one on my flywheel. Anyone with a pic of a removed early flywheel, and the location of the tdc mark (OT mark and line), would be great, as i have found a single set screw on the flywheel through the top flywheel window.
Thanks, Jmasters
Old 08-22-2004, 12:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

You need to look VERY CAREFULLY for this mark. I had trouble finding it for the first time on my old '84.

The trick I used was to get the valve train timing marks aligned, and then I slowly moved the crankshaft back and forth while looking for the mark on the flywheel. when I didn't see the mark, I rotated the engine 180 degrees, aligned the valve train marks, and looked for the marks again.

The marks are there, trust me.
Old 08-22-2004, 03:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
The OT mark is located towards the engine side of the viewing hole in the bellhousing viewing it from the top. It is about a 1/4" letter steel punch. As Cliff said , make sure the camshaft pulley mark is lined up with the camshaft housing mark. If you don't see it, turn the crank another 180 degrees until the camshaft pulley mark lines up again with the housing mark.
2018 Suburban Z71
Old 08-22-2004, 04:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Yeah, I should have told you what to look for.

What you should see is a line across the width of the flywheel with the letters OT stamped above the line.

From underneath the car you should be able to see a small "Grub" or "Set" screw protruding from the flywheel. With the engine at TDC, this screw will be aligned with a notch at the bottom of the bell housing.

If you have a late model car you can also remove the diagnostic TDC sensor and look for a similar set screw.
Old 08-22-2004, 04:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to 944freak
on clarks-garage. com there are pictures of the marks. the mark on the bottom is a double line mark on the flywheel that lines up in the center of a 5 mm groove.
Old 08-22-2004, 03:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
.......and to save you some time...........

Pull plug 1.

Insert long screwdriver........

Turn engine by hand until the screwdriver is at the top.

Check for the marks.
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 08-22-2004, 03:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
Quote:
Originally posted by ae1969
.......and to save you some time...........

Pull plug 1.

Insert long screwdriver........

Turn engine by hand until the screwdriver is at the top.

Check for the marks.
and if you don't see mark, turn 180&deg.
'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 08-22-2004, 03:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Don't bent the screw driver.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 08-22-2004, 06:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
don't screw the bent driver!!
Old 08-23-2004, 09:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

ok, about the set screw in the flywheel, i can only see it from the top of the egnine.and the only mark that i can see on the bottom of the engine is a engraved line in the fly wheel. when i center this line in the middle of the notch on the bottom of the bellhousing the cam gear marks do not line up, it is about 3 teeth off, so is my timing off?
Old 08-23-2004, 06:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

You have the engine 180 degrees out, and the cam is slightly out of time. Put some white paint on the line, and then turn the engine over until the line is lined up with the "finger" in the timing window. The set screw should be lined up with the notch in the bottom of the bell housing.
Old 08-24-2004, 05:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

turning the crank just a few degrees will bring the mark out of view...

My 83 does not have any descernable OT in the window....just the slash.
Old 08-24-2004, 10:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Have you performed the screwdriver trick.

.......and 2-21/2 notches off at the cam gear is the max that it could be out of time.
Old 08-24-2004, 11:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

would the engine run if the crank was 180 degrees out? because the engine runs. and the set screw is not visible from the bottom. and i have made the line white and i still can not find it on the top. does anyone know how thick the flywheel is. it seems like the line is only on half of the flywheel and the set screw is on the other half?
Old 08-24-2004, 02:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

No.

The engine is fine as it is, we're just having trouble finding TDC on the compression stroke for #1 cylinder.

The only other method I can think of (other than pulling the head) is to watch the piston through the spark plug hole. Because the plug hole is at an angle relative to the piston top, I don't recommend using the "screw driver method", it's just too easy to break stuff.

Bear in mind that there are two TDC points, one for the compression stroke, and one for the exhaust stroke. When you see the OT mark at the lower notch in the bell housing, the engine is at TDC for the exhaust stroke, which is 180 degrees from where we want to be.

Also keep in mind that due to it's diameter, the flywheel has fast 'apparent rotation', so go SLOW as you approach TDC.

To turn the engine over, I use a 1/2" drive adjustable ratchet torque wrench. The wrench is just long enough so I can turn the engine over while I'm watching for the OT mark on the flywheel. I always start with the cam belt marks aligned. If I do not see the OT mark I rotate the engine a few degrees in each direction. If I still don't see the OT mark I rotate the engine through 180 degrees (cam belt marks aligned again) and then look for the OT mark.
Old 08-25-2004, 04:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Pics

this is the only timing mark on the flywheel that i can find. and both pics where taken at the same time with no engine movement.
Old 08-28-2004, 11:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

i know that, but thanks. the pic of the cam is showing how much the timing mark is off when the flywheel is where it is in the pic of the flywheel mark that i found. now with the mark on the flywheel it is just a single line ( I painted it silver/white) I marked it so i could find it on the top of the engine. but I can't seem to find the mark in the hole on the top of the bellhousing
is this the right mark?
Old 08-28-2004, 11:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Are you actually able to turn this engine over by hand?????? Without actually binding up and hitting some valves?

If you can! ........Line up the camshaft housing that FRwilk pointed out to you.

YOU should then see a mark at the flywheel inspeciton hole above. Either spot on or an 1.5 inches up or down from the aligining mark.

The bottom line you highlited seems like the mark and if it is YOU should see it swinging by the inspection hole at the top.

The only time I have not had marks were from aftermarket flywheels.....but that definitely looks like a typical stock flywheel.

THIS IS WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR UP TOP>

HERE IS THE ONE AT THE BOTTOM........

Last edited by ae1969; 08-29-2004 at 07:53 AM..
Old 08-29-2004, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

yes the engine turns over by hand and also runs. the timimg was set by the wood rod in piston #1. this was only a temp solution just to move it to its new home. now that it is home I want to verify that the timing is right on before I start driving the car.
the flywheel I have does not seem to have the 5mm wide groove on it.
also my flywheel on the edge is not flat like the one in the pic. right after the mark i found (about 1/2" long) the flywheel gets smaller in diameter.
Old 08-29-2004, 12:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

heres a pic of what i'm talking about, Is this normal?

Old 08-29-2004, 12:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: