Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to bluebullet
so my bday went great today...

to start things off, the weather was great and the p car was running awesome. I get onto the highway to go to work, and i plant myself right behind an 80's 911 targa (white with fuchs, beautiful car). I see him look in his rearview, and take off, so I chase after him, and after a few exits he slows down and i go by and honk, and he gives me the wave very friendly 911 owner..

so the rest of the day goes without incident, and tonight we went out to dinner (all of us at my job) and i leave around 2AM. As Im getting back onto the highway, the exit is a sharp S curve, and ive taken this before at close to the same speed without problems. So I do the usual 3rd gear entry, and head for the apex, and get back on the gas where I usually do and power out of the turn and set myself up for the next turn. What I DONT expect is that somewhere along the turn, the back tires start to howl and the back end comes out on me. Now I just did this same turn only days before, and the car just hooked with little noise from the tires.

So at this point Im assessing the situation as the car starts to spin sideways...first thing I do is countersteer, all this time throttling the gas pedal, because I treat this car like a 911....take your foot off the gas in mid turn or mid spin, and it will only make problems worse...same goes for hitting the brake. Car hooks a little, and it drifts..for a fraction of a second, and continues to start doing a full 180 degree spin. At this moment, all I remember to do is BFI (Both Feet In, on the brake and the clutch) and still have the wheel locked...the car stops rotating and the car slides onto the grass and slows to a halt, some few feet from the shrubbery. Put the car in first and get back onto the ramp, and get onto the highway. A few moments later I get a call from my boss who was following me, asking me if "are you alright there speedracer?". I make it home fine, no other problems.

The best part about it is that I was a giggling bastard the ENTIRE TIME. And I want to go do it again...well...minus the sliding off the road part.

I always thought the 944 had somewhat neutral handling, maybe balanced towards the understeer section, but I never expected the rear to rotate with such ease. I can only imagine a 911 being a bit worse with the drop throttle oversteer...
Old 08-22-2004, 12:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

sounds like you got some fun in

its even better if you do it on gravel/sand lot. with some turns..

example:

i get to do my slides every morning when i get to get to work,(only reason for getting out of bed to go to work anymore), and i do it in parking/drifting fashion . first turn entering the yard is a right, rear swings left and i can hold it there for a good 100 yards going sidways while still going in a straight path. next turn is a right, still sliding sidways, crank the wheel to turn right while keeping the rear end out to the side for anouther 50 yards, and the last turn to my parking spot is a right. while having the rear still out i pull the wheel straight, with some minor corrections to keep it sidways until im almost to my parking spot, then i start letting up lightly on the gas and slide right into my parking spot and stop.

NOW THATS CRAZY FUN and everyone should do this once in a while

oh and happy Bday

cant spell forgive my "hukt on Fonix" it workt gud four mi

in the process of buying a car and a half garage with a detached house and fenced in yard
03 Eclipse GS

Last edited by adida(r 944); 08-22-2004 at 02:02 AM..
Old 08-22-2004, 02:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
i've had a few instances of the car's rear getting fresh with me, but most involve unexpected wet or sandy patches on the road.
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 08-22-2004, 05:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

yeah thats what I guess happened....it was a little humid out and it had rained earlier in the day but was mostly dry..i guess I hit a wet patch and it came out....btw is the car show still going on tomorrow?
Old 08-22-2004, 07:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
yessir, and mike944 is following me down in his 968, it looks like.

IT's supposed to be gorgeous out tomorrow
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 08-22-2004, 07:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Ok I will call you tomorrow...I finally got keys to the shop so Im going in at 8AM to get my work done by 3 so I can be out of there. You are south of granby right? Is there someplace that I can meet you?
Old 08-22-2004, 08:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Burn the fire.

Garage
Yikes! Almost had that happen in my 924 one day... That rear end sure likes to come out at you.

Happy burfdey, too!

"Drive it like you stole it."
Old 08-23-2004, 11:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: