Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to Makenzie71 Send a message via Yahoo to Makenzie71
So I'm in the mood to build something...

As seen in this thread:

So I'm driving along and I decide to throw it in low gear and gun it...

...I'm taking an interest in building something for the 944. I'm going to jack the car up tomorrow and test fit the flanges I have in stock with the ones on the stock header and see if I have something compatable. If so I'll be starting there. If I don't have flanges that'll fit in stock I'll just weld an apporpiate adapted fitting right after the "Y" pipe and flange that, and work from there.

What I think I'm going to do is a straight run, or maybe use an N1 on the end (I stock N1 knock-offs), and see how it sounds. Now, this is going to be a product I would like to offer you guys, so what I'm looking for are suggestions as to what would make it more appealing to you. Where would flanges be convienient, routing, etc...?

Also looking for general comments about it.

the "baby" that comes first...
Old 08-22-2004, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
i dont think most of the people here like the look of the N1, too ricer fart-can for them. personaly i dont like it on a porsche

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 08-23-2004, 11:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Yeah..I gathered....but it's all I have in stock. I'll exchange for something a little more classy later. I'm using it now becase I need the silencer.

Old 08-23-2004, 11:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Okay...the stock header I'm having mixed emmotions about. I really like the design, though not as efficient as it could be, it's more than adequate for mild performance. However, I commend Porsche's *******d'ness for not putting a flange after the collector. I also despice their want to use mild steel bolts...which is why they all rust solid. All mani-studs and flange bolts will be replaced with new ones, either stainless or heavy galvanized...which I will include with any products I make to sell.

However, after removing the entire exhaust to get the collector off, I started serious work. I welded an adapter to bring it up to 2.5" tubing just after the post-O2 sensor bend. I then welded a flange in place. The rest of the system will be run from here.

Unless I get something in tomorrow that I'd forgotten that I ordered, I'm still using the N1. It fits VERY nicely where the stock tail pipe was...I would like to add a muffler later that'll fit in the stock location and be a bit more out of the way, though. The N1 isn't really up for that kind of task...too raw and out there. I may have to make a custom muffler to get the results I want.

I also think I can make this system MUCH straighter than stock, and even more so than most of the aftermarket systems I've seen. I'll have a rough setup tomorrow that I'll snap some pics of to show you guys what it looks like.

Old 08-23-2004, 03:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

ta da....

I know it's not everyone's style...the muffler, that is...so I'll happily offer any product I make without a muffler so you can either run a straight pipe or splice in your own muffler.

and, to point out, I have a couple short videos if someone wants to host them.

Edit~~these pics make the can look like it sticks out a lot further than it actually does. It tucks very neatly in the spot for the stock muffler.

Last edited by Makenzie71; 08-24-2004 at 05:51 PM..
Old 08-24-2004, 05:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to bluebullet
I like that JDM look...I was considering an N1, but it was always too loud for my taste. My dynomax suits me perfectly fine at the moment, but next week when I do my clutch im probably going to redo the center section of the exhaust with a magnaflow resonator and a flex pipe. I have to take pictures of my headers too because mine were designed differently than yours or for most peoples. Where yours merges into a single pipe and goes into the exhaust, mine stays separate until the last possible moment, and then merges into a nice collector and into the center muffler. My car doesnt have a cat either and it isnt very loud. I heard CJ's car with stock exhaust, and it has that raspy 911 sound to it....I would give up my modified exhaust to have a stock one again, but funds do not permit that at this moment.
Old 08-24-2004, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

the glasspack on my car sounded like ****....so I was VERY eager to get rid of it. sounds badass now....I think. Very deep and rumbling...doesn't get raspy until WAY up in the rpm band.

Old 08-24-2004, 06:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Uhhmmm, Mak..... you need a pipe bender.. and expander.. and some welding practice.. and somebody to help you straighten out the muffler, its not square with the back of the car. Kinda hangs low too.

Other than that it looks, well, different....
And a whole bunch of German scrap metal shaped like 924's.

Old enough to know better, and stupid enough to do it anyway!
Old 08-24-2004, 08:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

i like that setup, kinda looks the same way i would have done it. when do you think you'll start marketing it?

cant spell forgive my "hukt on Fonix" it workt gud four mi

in the process of buying a car and a half garage with a detached house and fenced in yard
03 Eclipse GS
Old 08-24-2004, 08:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Mak...like your experiments, however, please wash that car it is starting to look like mine...lol
MSD Ingnition System
Zimmerman XDrilled Frt/Rear
BB Headers & Cat Back Exhaust
Mass Flow Air w/ Ingen Technology
Nology Pro Fire Wires & Coil
Millie Cup Wheels and Kuma's
Old 08-24-2004, 08:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Used & Abused

Is it me, or it that right in line with the tranny drain plug?

Looks good otherwise.

"Oh Bother," said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Old 08-24-2004, 08:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

nope...it's clear of everything.

This is a project I can carry with me to work and get done. I can start marketing it immediately.

Old 08-24-2004, 08:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

oh...and allporsche...I just washed her two days ago...she doesn't hold a shine very well here....

Old 08-24-2004, 08:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to bluebullet
Wolf just to let you know that muffler isnt straight because its not supposed to be...have you ever seen an Apex N1 exhaust system used on a skyline? its the exact same design...comes down out of the turbo, straight back and cants up at an angle like that, to put the exhaust right into the low pressure area behind the car. Thats where all those ricey civics got the idea (although ive seen it get very exagerrated). If anything, if i had a turbo rear difuser and stuff, I would put an N1 on my car, but since the back of my car is naked (the european bumper is a bit higher and not as blocky as the US spec one is) it wouldnt look good with just this big huge cannon sticking out the back in the middle of nowhere.

IMO...I hate straight looking exhaust....even the factory porsche muffler has the exit pipe coming up to match the contour of the car..
Old 08-24-2004, 11:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
mak, i like everything about that exhaust setup except the "look at me" quality of the muffler itself... of course, it might stand out a bit in contrast to the filthy rear end of the car
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 08-25-2004, 06:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Yeah fr somereason the rear bumper seems to be the place where everyone puts their dirt....

Yeah, the flash made it REALLY stand out. You can look at the header collector in the first pic and see the same effect...it threw a slightly off-set shadow right behind it and brought it out alow more. It doesn't stand out so much on a clean car, I'm hoping....if it does stand out she'll receiving a quick coat of hiegh-heat something...maybe grey or gunmetal...

Quote:
Originally posted by Wolf1
Uhhmmm, Mak..... you need a pipe bender.. and expander.. and some welding practice.. and somebody to help you straighten out the muffler, its not square with the back of the car. Kinda hangs low too.

Other than that it looks, well, different....
Don't know why but I didn't even see this last night...

You may not be able to see it in the pics but I use mandrel bends. Anything less than a 7.5* bend makes it very hard to wedge an elbo in...the last bend is something like 6*. And making couplers with pipe expanders makes the inner surfaces not flush. All the connections are butt-fitted pipe ends...very few gaps...and the gaps wre welded properly to make the inner surface semi-consistant. The muffler is actually tucked into the stock routing area...at that angle...which is intentional.

And I only weld one of two ways...pretty and weak, or ugly and could hold mars to uranus.

~~awake for 10 minutes...still can't hardly see ****....forgive grammar and spelling stuff...

Last edited by Makenzie71; 08-25-2004 at 06:53 AM..
Old 08-25-2004, 06:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
I guess you guys don't have sleeping policemen in Texas!!
( )'92 Renault Clio 1.4 :

Old 08-25-2004, 06:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

seriously.....it's not that loud. Someone want to host two vids? One less than 10 secs free-revving, another 10 second one (from outside) with a WOT 1st gear pass. I've got some longer ones From a chase-car and from inside the car...

now this setup on my N/A FC RX-7?? Yeah now THAT pissed off the neighbors...

Old 08-25-2004, 07:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
Like most of your projects Mak........... they are different.

The stock pipe runs with its bend and straight back for a reason. Clearance.

You car is riding at stock height and a few speedbumps or ruts in the road will smack that pipe. It would not work very well on a lowered car.

The muffler sticking out to the side is not my cup of tea but it could be worse.

Otherwise keep the creative juices flowing....... you are bound to hit something really good soon.
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 08-25-2004, 01:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

exhaust is at stock clearance....

~edit~ Actually...you're right. It's 1.25" lower because of that missing bend. I'll fix that next time I have a lift at my disposal.

Last edited by Makenzie71; 08-25-2004 at 03:22 PM..
Old 08-25-2004, 02:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: