Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Painting (a bit OT)

hey all just wondered if anyone had done any paintwork themselves who had little past experience and what sort of results you got. I picked up quite a good haynes book and my friend gave me a few lessons. Want to do the fenders and rest of the front bar the bonnet which is quite good. Its a daily hack so it doesn't need to be concours but its a metallic which might complicate things. Also are there any good websites with tips etc?
Old 08-23-2004, 03:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

It has taken years of practice but I can now paint an entire car and get excellent results. I started by attneding a night school body shop course years ago and followed it up with paint courses. Whe I started Acrylic laquer was my paint of choice. I am now into base/clearcoat enamels, but would not recommend this without the following:

Low pressure/high volume gun and a good compressor (less spray in the air, more paint on the vehicle)

High quality mask/breathing system..these new finishes are nasty

Good high volume exhaust system for fumes

Dust free environment (sealed concrete floor, etc)

Actually, you might consider doing all the prep work yourself, and let Maaco or the like shoot the paint. They have the right equipment and can do a decent job. Talk to them first.

Just some suggestions
Old 08-23-2004, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to bryanthompson Send a message via AIM to bryanthompson Send a message via Yahoo to bryanthompson
Bob, next time you print a car, can you take pictures and give some sort of description of the steps you take? I've been reading everything I can get my hands on about painting, and everyone seems to have a different method.
Old 08-23-2004, 11:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
on the photos, yes that would be excellent. I would love to do a few nightclasses but just not got the time. The main thing I'm not sure about is the different paint types 2 pack, acrylic, 1k, 2k, waterbased, cellulose etc (also I think they are named slightly differently here in the UK which doesn't help as my book is from the US). Is there a metallic ready mixed avaliable that doesn't need starter/hardener etc and doesn't need for example an air-fed respirator etc?
Old 08-23-2004, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: