Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

New Here

Despite this being my first post I thought id jump right in with some questions.
I just rebuilt an 86 transmission to put into my car(85/2), don't ask me how its a miracle it works. I will be swapping out the 83 tranny the guy before me put in. The goal is that my Speedo will finally work. The sunroof, cruise control and other various things donít work on the car, what are my odds that putting in the new tranny with a Speedo sensor will 'fix' things other than just the Speedo?
I also think that when I parked the car a year ago that the clutch was on its way out but I'm not sure how to tell since I can move the car. It has a tendency for the rpms to drop very quickly when I let of the gas at speed, even to the point of locking my seat belt. I'm wondering if I should change the clutch while Iím doing the tranny but Iím afraid of that $1400 torque tube and the cost of the clutch parts?
And this is only a start, ill have questions later on when I start with the cooling system and tell you all the wonderful story about green stuff dripping on the garage floor
Thanks Scott
Old 08-23-2004, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

you're the first person I've encountered who replaced the transmission to make the speedo work. Welcome aboard....
Old 08-23-2004, 02:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Welcome aboard!
Re: clutch
Does it seem to be an on/off thing with the clutch in that as soon as you let off the gas, the car seems to lunge forward and lose momentum? If so you're probably running on the cunning back up system porsche put in the 944 clutch. It'll run fine until you get around to fixin it but will be a little unpleasant to drive.

The main clutch system has a rubber bushing which takes up the strain of engaging/disengaging the clutch - when this goes its metal on metal and becomes quite jerky. Sadly the clutches on these are an expensive nightmare - but if you've fitting the tranny, it's a good time to do it!
They should last a while as long as you drive smoothly - I just replaced the original clutch at 15 years/92000 miles which I believe is pretty standard...
( )'92 Renault Clio 1.4 :

Old 08-24-2004, 04:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

That is exactly what happens, I can drive the car smoothly until I let off the gas and then the car shudders and losses a lot of momentium, if i stay on the gas its fine. So it looks like I'll replace the clutch this winter as well, any suggestions on the place to buy and what to buy I have seen just clutchs, then clutchs with plates and then again with the plate and bearing and then still others with a kit of many items? To do that will I have to drop the torque tube out of the car completely and if so are those rebuildable ie new bearings and things? Porsche only sells the WHOLE thing and whille I'm down there I want to make everthing right since I have till Spring to get it all running again.
Old 08-24-2004, 09:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Used & Abused

www.944online.com sells rebuilt torque tubes and the bearing "kits" to rebuild it yourself.

"Oh Bother," said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: