Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
944 lo beam problem

changed bulb/lamp, checkled fuses, switch? why would i lose power to low beam circuit, pass side? new bulb made no difference? any trix i should check out?

thx tom
Old 08-23-2004, 08:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Check for dodgy wiring, run a resistance test accross the two contacts the bulb meets with in the socket. If you get any reading at all you will have a short circuit. Generally these will be in the most exposed places where moisture can get in to the wires - i.e. the contacts so check the quality of the sleeving around that area.

If you do have a short, check the 12v wire against another ground (metal on car) if that works ok it is the ground wire to your bulb. If not it is probably the 12v wire. Don't assume because the Hi beam works that it is not the ground wire - often these things only transpire when the power draw falls below a certain amount and bad grounds are usually the culprit!
( )'92 Renault Clio 1.4 :

Old 08-24-2004, 04:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I had a shorted wire between the switch and the relay. I had to re-run the wire.

Eric
Old 08-24-2004, 07:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Well, it is probably not the ground if main/high beam in the lens works. The main filament usually draws more power and both high and low beam share a common ground.

Without sounding moronic, check the fuses again as there is a seperate fuse for each headlight filament - 4 in total. If those are all OK you may have fractured a wire as Porsche used fairly low quality wire, as do most auto manufacturers.

The likely spot for fracture is between the headlight bucket and frame rail - where the harness flexes and moves when the headlights flip up and down. You can usually find the fracture point by grabing the harness and squishing and squeezing it together and see if the light goes on. Otherwise, you may have to cut open the plastic sleeve and take a look.

Also, take a look at the headlight plug. I don't know how those have survived for 20 years. They are just bare copper, not tinned, and terminals crimped on with no soldering. Failure would be expected especially if the car is by the sea, or in your case on salted winter roads.
Old 08-24-2004, 07:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
wow, thanks guys, great diagnostic tree!! i am currently staying at a lakeside resort, and have already had moisture problems with the dme relay. i will do this check on saturday afternoon. thanks for all the input, saves me time!!

tom
Old 08-25-2004, 05:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Check the wiring where it's wire tied to the head light housing. The raising and lowering of the headlight wears away at the insulation in time. Usually this condition leads to blown fuses.

Good luck,

MW
Old 08-25-2004, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: