Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to latunluvr Send a message via Yahoo to latunluvr
Knocking noise from Flex Plate area ???

My 92' 968 Tip started knocking a couple of days ago. I thought it was an internal engine problem but I crawled under the car and it's coming from directly inside of the housing covering the flex plate. As soon as you step on the gas and raise the RPM's above idle, the knocking goes away. Anyone know what could be causing this?

Thanks in advance!

Aaron
Old 08-23-2004, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to beagle113
I know exactly what that is. there is a rubber hub that acts kind of like a clutch that the torque tube goes into. the rubber breaks and then you have clank clank clank at idle. I drove my 944 like that for about 8 months, which wasnt a smart idea. the exhaust system broke twice from all of the vibration. the part lists for around $ 1000.
Old 08-23-2004, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to latunluvr Send a message via Yahoo to latunluvr
Thanks Beagle!!!

I just happen to have an extra torque tube with a flex plate already attached. I can just pull the flex plate off and put it on my car. I know that they're a thousand bucks from the P Dealer so I got quite the deal when I bought the thing back in January. I lucked out pretty well since I tried to sell it a couple of months ago and I didn't have any takers. Now I just need to pull out my tech manuals and see if I can replace it without pulling the tranny and exhaust all the way out!!!

Thanks Again!

Aaron
Old 08-23-2004, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to beagle113
I have heard that the 968's are easier than the 944's. i know i had to pull everything out to replace mine, so i just swapped for a 5-speed since i had everything from a spare car.
Old 08-23-2004, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: