Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
entertaining the idea

Garage
Clearcoat repair?

I just had my alignment done and new front tires put on. The PO had the wheel weights put on the outside of the wheel. This time I had them hidden on the inside.

The problem is, on one wheel it looks as the the clear coat was removed/ ruined when the old weights were removed.

I've tried to polish it out with no luck. Can the clearcoat be touched up? Or do I have to strip and redo the entire outer part of the wheel?

Thanks

a well set-up 1983 Guards Red 944
Old 08-23-2004, 01:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
can you post a picture that would help us see how bad it is? There is a kit that Mer Polish make that may help I've used it on alloys and bodywork for scuffs etc. It includes a polishing head for a drill, medium/fine polishing compound as well as a special clearcoat / thinners mixture. If you use a fine wet and dry paper and cut back the dirty/damaged cleacoat feathering it but going slowly so not to go through to the primer below the basecoat. Then you get the Mer mixture and apply it with a very clean, soft, paint brush in 2 thin coats. The thinner in the mixture sort of burn/fades it into the existing clearcoat. Then once its dry a quick rub with very fine wet and dry to level it. Followed by a blast from the buffer with the rubbing compound should bring it up to a shine again. I had excellent results and it assumes you have a basecoat don't know how it would come up on clearcoated metal rims like the edges of some Fuch's etc. But the kits very cheap and worth ago surely before getting the wheel refurbed. Various manufacturers make this kit should be able to get it at loads of auto stores
Old 08-23-2004, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
entertaining the idea

Garage
Thanks for the info. I don't have a pic right now. I'll have to check the local auto parts stores for that Mer polish. I found this link as well...

http://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/940057.phtml

a well set-up 1983 Guards Red 944
Old 08-23-2004, 02:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: