Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to snowboardgeek1
My 1985.5 Porsche 944

Hey Guys/Gals

I'm a new member here. Just wanted to share pics of my very first sportscar. I can't believe I waited this long to buy my first Porsche. What a car.

Here's a little description of my car.

85.5 Porsche 944
-75K miles. Original EVERYTHING.
-Borla ProXS muffler, Sebring tip, performance resonator. I still can't believe the piping was already 2 1/4" Stainless Steel. My friends were right...the Germans usually do it right the first time
-Everything else stock
-Cost: Free, from father in law

Here's a few problems with the car.

A/C doesnt work
Speedo and tach seem to be "stuck" until after a few miles per hour, and then it will kick in. Is there a way to "lube" the speedo cable? I know with my 1990 acura integra, I was able to pull out the speedo and lube it up. Oh well...can't complain much. The car runs great. Gotta love rear wheel drive and 50/50 weight distribution. Can't wait to try her out on the twisties around my area.

I'm looking forward to being a member on this site. Thanks

P.S I had to brighten up the pictures a little because it was taken in a shaded area. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get a chance to take better pictures.

Eric

[img]

[img]

Last edited by snowboardgeek1; 08-23-2004 at 11:52 PM..
Old 08-23-2004, 11:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Makenzie71 Send a message via Yahoo to Makenzie71
she looks nice...but you're wrong on the stainless steel. The NA's only ran 2" tubing and it was NOT stainless or mandrel bent. Yours is aftermarket if it is.

Also, having a Borla muffler means it's not "all original".

Further more...

No speedo cable to the cluster. They're all electric. You'll have to hunt down all the related plugs and grounds and such and make sure there's good connections.

the "baby" that comes first...
Old 08-24-2004, 12:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Free.....did you say FREE......nice score. welcome to the board....lots of great help here from knowledgeable folks. enjoy the obsession!....ps.....don't ask if you can turbo your car
Old 08-24-2004, 04:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
entertaining the idea

Garage
Nice car!....welcome to the board

a well set-up 1983 Guards Red 944
Old 08-24-2004, 04:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Oh gosh. We don't have to get all technical on the all original part. Its just an exhaust...

I was told it was stainless steel by the guy who did my exhaust. Maybe he doesn't know his pipes (I assume he does since he's been in the business for over 30 years). After almost 20 years and it never rusted (the pipes), I gotta believe it. Plus, I never said it was mandrel bent.

Sucks that its an electric speedo. I'm guessing I'll need a new gauge cluster soon, or will have to do a thorough check.

Quote:
Originally posted by Makenzie71
she looks nice...but you're wrong on the stainless steel. The NA's only ran 2" tubing and it was NOT stainless or mandrel bent. Yours is aftermarket if it is.

Further more...

No speedo cable to the cluster. They're all electric. You'll have to hunt down all the related plugs and grounds and such and make sure there's good connections.
Old 08-24-2004, 06:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

No way I'd turbo this car. If I wanted a turbo porsche, I would have just bought one. I'm satisfied with the power of the car. Only reason I replaced the muffler and cat, is because of failure. Its a solid car stock in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally posted by paulc
Free.....did you say FREE......nice score. welcome to the board....lots of great help here from knowledgeable folks. enjoy the obsession!....ps.....don't ask if you can turbo your car
Old 08-24-2004, 06:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Makenzie71

Further more...

Makenzie,

who in the world would care if the exhaust on a 20 year old 944 is "not original"...

Congrats on the car, looks clean!
Old 08-24-2004, 06:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Nice car..... You you have any more Fathers-in-law willing to dump 944's?

Welcome to Obsession with a capital 'O'!!!
Stone Grey
Aero Mirrors
Full engine rebuild July 2007
Old 08-24-2004, 06:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Thanks for the comments guys. Yeah I love the car. I just think its a beautiful car that handles great...still can't believe I finally got my Porsche. I've been wanting a Porsche for the longest time.
Old 08-24-2004, 07:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Siberian
Makenzie,

who in the world would care if the exhaust on a 20 year old 944 is "not original"...

Congrats on the car, looks clean!

He said t was "original"...it's not...
Old 08-24-2004, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I think I'm going to have to go with Makenzie on this one..

he said "ALL ORIGINAL" and then listed aftermarket parts.
Old 08-24-2004, 08:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Ok, since a few members are getting technical about this stuff (should have known better...Porsche owners are known to be anal. Heck, I can be anal at times as well...maybe that's why I own a Porsche now hahaha)

How about this...everything except the muffler, tip, resonator, and cat, is original. Feel better?
Old 08-24-2004, 09:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Don't get defensive, guy....no one was calling it **** or anything...it was just an observation...

And if you think WE'RE anal you should have got a Carrera...

the "baby" that comes first...
Old 08-24-2004, 09:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Oh I'm not getting defensive. Just that yourself and a few other members, are getting caught up in the technicalities, therefore to alleviate this "problem" of saying its all original, I fixed it.

I meant ANAL in a good way. Porsche owners are very meticulous about their cars, as I am as well.
Old 08-24-2004, 09:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Aw I was just joking around, don't take it seriously...
Old 08-24-2004, 09:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Most Porsche owners, including myself, are anal because we are on edge waiting for that big expensive part to break and we can't afford to get it fixed. Therefore, we are on a constant edge...
Schwinn Apple Krate
College days...'69 Hurst/Olds and '71 Roadrunner
Old 08-24-2004, 09:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

No worries here.

Just happy to actually have a Porsche. Nothing can bring me down for at least a few more days. HA! Still in awe.

I've owned a 87 BMW 325IS convertible, and I have to say, German engineering is unbelievable. Porsche...it just makes sense (except the damn timing belt issue haha)
Old 08-24-2004, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

not really an issue as long as you stay on top of it
Old 08-24-2004, 10:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

A thought has anyone ever adapted the auto tensioning, al a 87, to an earlier 2.5??
Old 08-24-2004, 11:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by snowboardgeek1
Oh I'm not getting defensive. Just that yourself and a few other members, are getting caught up in the technicalities, therefore to alleviate this "problem" of saying its all original, I fixed it.

I meant ANAL in a good way. Porsche owners are very meticulous about their cars, as I am as well.
You'll find the "technicals" are what make the difference between driving the car and watching it out in the drive way from your window, wishing you would've listened to those "technical anal guys" about the timing belt.

BTW, when's the last time it's been changed? (Well, SOMEONE had to ask.)
Old 08-24-2004, 12:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: