Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Which bearing?

For a while, (more than a year), I've heard a rumbling/moaning noise from the back of the car, sometimes when going straight, but mostly when I noticed it I could induce it by turning right, and silence it by turning left. It was intermittant, but became more and more frequent as time went on. The noise seemed to be coming from the right side. Now when I turn left, from outside the car I get a high pitched noise, definately from the right side.

Coincidentally the current issue of 9 in the Tech Q&A section answers a question about a turn induced noise from the rear. The answer indicates the cause of the noise is either a wheel bearing or a tranny output bearing.

My question is, how can you tell if it is a tranny output bearing or a wheel bearing?

Also, will the trailing arms from an '87 924s swap to an '86 944?

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
Old 08-24-2004, 01:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Used & Abused

If the tranny output bearing were bad, you'd eat the stub axle seals in the tranny and would leak fluid.

"Oh Bother," said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Old 08-24-2004, 08:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks much.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
Old 08-25-2004, 03:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Parrothead member

It sounds like one of the wheel bearings. Jack up the rear, grab the tire see if you have and play or wobble when you try to move it.
if you have any movement other than rotation your bearings are shot
Old 08-25-2004, 05:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

It's likely your right rear wheel bearing. It sounds odd, but by loading it (left turn) it makes the bad bearing go quiet. Just jacking it up and shaking the wheel might not show a bad bearing, unless it is about to fail catastrophically. Usually, the races and rollers are pitted and that's what's making the noise. If the tranny bearing was bad, ditto on the seals getting chewed up and there would be a massive leak of tranny oil.
Old 08-25-2004, 05:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Parrothead member

If the bearings are worn and pitted you should have some movement other than the rotation around the horizontal axis.
Old 08-25-2004, 05:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Not necessarily. I've seen it many times where a bearing howls but there is no slop.
Old 08-25-2004, 06:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: